Speeding

Speeding

A Story by Chadvonswan
"

Obey traffic laws.

"
The car was going so fast. It was like the road was a giant conveyor belt and the car was a hot wheels toy speeding down the belt, ready to be bought. The sun was behind a mountain and I was sitting in the passenger seat watching the sun die and the cactus's fly by. Looking out the window gave me such a weird feeling. It made me really think of speed and time. Trying to concentrate on one object outside was impossible, even if it was a mile away.  Occasionally a speed limit sign would fly by, but we were driving so fast that I couldn't read what it said. 
There were no cars on the road. We passed one in four hours. Adam was paying attention to the road, keeping quiet, his hands clenching the steering wheel and his knees bouncing and his legs dancing to the blasting music (I can't drive fifty five). I put my hand out the window and the air slapped it back it. I looked at the speedometer. It read 135. I stuck my arm out the window and forced it to stay out. My arm sailed the waves of the air, like a snake flying through the air. The air became a tangible object. I could grab it, squeeze it. It felt like squeezing the breast of a ghost, it was there but at the same time it wasn't. The force of the wind was so strong, my entire arm was being worn out from the struggle of arm surfing. I brought my arm back in the car and it felt changed, cool in the dry heat of the car. I tried moving my fingers but something prevented them from moving. Dead fingers. I pressed a button on the radio and changed the station. I looked at Adam and saw the setting sun reflect off his glasses. I stuck my arm out the window again and surfed the violently strong wind. My arm broke through the current, splitting it in two, the wind numbing my entire arm. I closed my eyes and my arm surfed outside the car. Up and down. Like a snake in the water. My arm doing some kind of foreign middle eastern dance. Dancing to the music and surfing the wind, floating in the water of the air. 
And then my arm was gone. I didn't even feel the impact of the speed limit sign, I didn't feel my arm being torn from my socket, but I felt the spray of blood on my face, and heard a loud slam, and Adam screaming (what the f**k) at an impossibly loud volume, louder than the radio. I opened my eyes and pull my non-existent arm back in the car, trying to figure out what happened. I see that my white shirt is splattered red, and my first thought is that we hit a dog or something. Then I see that my arm is gone. I cant see my arm at all. It doesn't make any sense. I still feel the wind blowing at my arm. My hand is still dancing in the wind waves. But it wasn't. I stared at the spot where my arm was and when I saw the fresh blood drip off my short sleeve I realized that it was pulled off, ripped off. But by what? 
Adam slammed on the breaks and I put my remaining arm in front of me to grab the dash to keep from flying forward but my right arm is gone and only my stupid left hand attempts to prevent any collision with the dash but my body slams against it. The moving pictures outside the window stop. Dead reel. I look in the side mirror and see blood drops trailing across the door and then everything is muted. I don't hear anything at all. I look at Adam and hes screaming at me, his veins visible on his neck and forehead, his face red. He grabs my shoulder and shakes it. I look at him blankly and don't say anything. If I tried to say something I couldn't. I felt terribly sick, as if I was going to faint, and the lights went out; my sight dissolved. My eyes were open, I could feel the dry air on the surface of my dead eyes. I feel the car jump into action then turn around the other way. I feel the vibration on the seat and then I can see again, my sight returns from a bad dream, but my arm is still gone, my shoulder leaking dark blood. 
The opposite of the sky, away from the setting sun is dark purple, black clouds and possible rain. I stick my nonexistent arm out the window to sail the wind again but Adam stops the car and gets out. He walks over to a sign on the side of the road and bends over and pukes. He picks my arm off the side of the road and I try to imagine moving my fingers from the car, just to see what would happen, and the fingers on the hand that was no longer mine twitched in the desert air.

© 2014 Chadvonswan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow. Very unexpected but kept me hooked the whole way through.
I almost wanted to puke along with him though. Lol

Posted 9 Years Ago


Very well written. Unexpected. Not my usual cup of tea.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Speechless. This one is particularly my favorite. Nice job on the ending.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Chadvonswan

10 Years Ago

Thank you for the kind words. Most of my other stories are very dark and weird but sometimes my humo.. read more
Reading this was awesome. I found it to be perfectly descriptive, from the meditative state of a passenger to the shock of a victim. It really absorbed me. I particularly enjoyed the last bit.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Chadvonswan

10 Years Ago

thank you very much i appreciate it!!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

203 Views
4 Reviews
Added on November 21, 2013
Last Updated on January 17, 2014

Author

Chadvonswan
Chadvonswan

The West, CA



About
CHADVONSWAN = MAX REAGAN [What's Write is Right] My book of short stories.. http://www.lulu.com/shop/max-reagan/thoughts- of-ink/paperback/product-22122339.html more..

Writing
Knot Knot

A Poem by Chadvonswan


For: For:

A Poem by Chadvonswan


Neon Noon Neon Noon

A Story by Chadvonswan