Redefining "Somebody"... Are you Really What You Do for a Living?

Redefining "Somebody"... Are you Really What You Do for a Living?

A Story by Constance

It's funny how your job can define you as a person, not only in public opinion, but within the confines of your own mind. Our pride can go up or down a peg or two when we change careers. I used to be so proud to tell people what I did for the last two years... I'm still proud of the work I did then. Today, I started a new job that doesn't sound or feel so spectacular, but actually pays a bit better and has better benefits... yet when I tell one of my former coworkers where I work now... they sort of scoff at me as I turn to walk away.

 

I used to be somebody, a respected member of our smalltown Kansas community, but now? I am nobody. The funny thing is, what stings about being nobody is that now I'm affecting less change. Others' opinions? I don't really give a damn. I'll always be somebody to me, even if in the  "grand scheme" of things I am nobody, because frankly we are all nobodies, until we push the bar and make a somebody of ourselves... and I'll do it again.

 

I was "Maestra, teacher". I welcomed children new to our country and taught them how to speak and write English, and helped them to succeed in Middle School math and social studies and science... I was "that white lady who talks like a Mexican" and I used that skill to help others.

 

I counseled families who were afraid to ask anyone else for help because this new country seemed to be full of those "down on immigrants", went on home visits and felt at ease when those I traveled with felt out of thier culture and sometimes even terrified by the differences. I taught minority children that not all blonde white american women resent their presence, and that friends can come in all colors and from all backgrounds. I headed a charity bowling team, all female, all Hispanic Middle School Students, save myself. I taught a child who knew six words of English on the first day of school how to write so well in her new language in just one schoolyear that she stood up on the last day of Language Arts class and read a whole paragraph she wrote, without assistance, aloud to her class of sixth graders. I helped to keep kids out of gangs, and helped police to identify local gang members who were older and talking kids into joining. I talked to young girls who were depressed and young men who were sure they couldn't face tomorrow... and gave them hope. Not all of those things were a "part of my job", but those things were what made me love my job.

 

I was Ms. S, the blue eyed champion for all Hispanics in our little farm and factory town, and I was respected by everyone, even those who did not respect the students and families I worked and fought on behalf of.... I was someone my own Hispanic daughter could admire and be proud of, and now? Now I am Constance, Wal-Mart Deli Associate. Which is better than what I was last week.... Constance, KFC trainee.

 

So, I'm sure people here have changed their opinions of me-- even though I make more money at Wal-mart, thanks to their starting pay scale, than I made teaching English to kids and translating for their parents. I see the raised eyebrows, and hear the chatter as soon as I leave a room. However, will I always be a Wal-Mart Deli Associate? NO. While I am a Wal-Mart Deli Associate, will I stop connecting with and assisting our local Hispanic community? NO. And I bet this year my girls will be ready to bowl again for Big Brothers Big Sisters... and I bet that someone in Wal-Mart will come up and ask for my help on a regular basis... and I bet that the children whose lives I touched in those two short years will still be touched by how much I love them all. In fact, I saw one of them today, and we talked for twenty minutes, and she reminded me of things that I taught her beyond reading and writing in English. I may be nobody, but nobody can take that feeling from me, the feeling of knowing I've helped SOMEBODY, which makes me smile even though for the time being, I won't have the opportunity to help so many, and I will never be paid for those efforts I make.

 

We are more than our occupation. I have met school janitors who affect childrens' lives more than a teacher could, just because they were able to connect with a "problem child" who needed their guidance. I once met a motel cleaning lady who was raising five children on her own and slowly saving to put them all through college: one became a Dr. and has saved lives, another is studying to be a lawyer so she can work on cases that involve Civil Rights. I met a homeless bum who worked for the Carnival when it came into season, who fed and clothed every other bum on the street and kept their spirits up, just because he was driven to do so. Were these people nobodies? NO. They chose to be someone who someone else needed. When they woke up in the morning, they CHOSE to re-define who they were, and changed their status from nobody, one gesture at a time.

 

If you feel you are nobody, then please do something about that. It doesn't mean becoming rich and famous... we can't all do that for a living. It just means touching one SOMEBODY, and since we are all somebodies, there are plenty of opportunities to do so. You don't even have to leave home, or your hometown, or pay a dime, or be particularly talented at anything, to become a somebody. You just have to stop being self absorbed and apathetic, and watch for the opportunities, which present themselves daily. It really is funny how your job cannot define you as a person.

© 2008 Constance


Author's Note

Constance
I just felt like sharing these thoughts.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AK
I'm so glad you did share.
It is funny how our job can define us if we let it. The trick is to not let it.
Let your personality shine there at Wal-Mart. Use your skills with everyone you come in contact with. It won't be long before customers and employees alike will be coming to you for your input, and not just about what's good for lunch. You can still care for and love people from behind the deli counter. And it will shine out for all to see.
People identify and seek out those that they know care about them. Doesn't matter who signs your paycheck, what matters is how you connect with people. It wouldn't surprise me if you get recruited for a job that you'll love just by being yourself and letting your care and love for people show right over the top of the honey baked ham and sliced turkey. Just be yourself!!!
Yo, ya want mayo with that?

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
1 Review
Added on September 22, 2008
Last Updated on September 22, 2008

Author

Constance
Constance

A Small Town in, KS



About
I write about my past, my own real experiences. Even my poetry is inspired by my life. I was, I suppose, born writing, making up stories and rhymes from about when I started to speak, but had to wait .. more..

Writing
Icons Icons

A Poem by Constance