The Mirror of Non-Reflection

The Mirror of Non-Reflection

A Story by DB Heinemann
"

an exposition of the greatest mirror of all

"

There is a special mirror in Brisbon, Iowa known as the Mirror of Non-Reflection. All mirrors, both magical and non, tend to reflect something. A plain mirror will reflect the world back at you. A troll mirror will reflect what you think is the worst quality of a person. The Mirror of Esired reflects what you desire most. A wavy mirror at a carnival will give the viewer a distorted reflection of themselves. There are acoustic mirrors that reflect sound instead of light (seriously, look it up). A mirror in Fantasia reflects the viewers true self. There are fake mirrors that’re actually windows. Lighted magnifying mirrors sold at Costco reflects (and exaggerates) your most unattractive facial features in a harsh spotlight. Magic mirrors in the Disney universe reflect what the viewer wants to know. There are electronic mirrors that reflect the age of technology we are now in while blasting music from our iPods. Some mirrors contain monsters like Bloody Mary and Chimeras or just your average schitzo ghost. This can be a metaphorical reflection of human’s fear of its own reflection.

But the Mirror of Non-Reflection in Brisbon, Iowa reflects, as its name suggests, nothing. A person will look into the mirror and see nothing. No monsters. No personality traits. No deep dark secrets. No imperfections. No beauty. No desires. No illusions. No proximity sensors with both nearfield and farfield infrared or even a touch screen console. Not even an image of what is in front of the mirror. Just nothing.

Such a fantastically ironic mirror has of course greatly contributed to the booming tourist industry in Iowa. Thousands come from miles around to take selfies of their non-reflection, returning gleefully to their homes with a blank picture as a souvenir.

Some wonder why a mirror that shows you nothing and does nothing is so popular. It’s theorized by many psychologists that people find it incredibly refreshing to look at. Mirrors are known for what people project onto it (be it poor body image, a wasted life, poor personal traits, monsters, wishes, etc). Yet the Mirror of Non-Reflection gives viewers a chance to “look” at themselves and see no judgemental, projected reflection staring back at them. Schizophrenics don’t see their inner demons. The young don’t see their fat. The old don’t see their wrinkles. The middle aged don’t see a youth gone by. Even the narcissists don’t see their constant beauty.The Mirror of Non-Reflection gives one a break from their frontostriatal pathway.

Many who have never heard of this mirror as you probably have, wonder what it actually looks like. How can a mirror be a mirror if it doesn’t reflect anything? How can it show you nothing? Surely, it must show you something. Nothing doesn’t look like anything and everything you see looks like something.

Well, none can answer your questions with a single statement better than 8 year old Abigail Flynn. She and her family had traveled all the way from New York to see the famed mirror and Abigail, after listening to her excited parents talk about it so much, greatly looked forward to seeing the Mirror of Non-Reflection. However, when she arrived at its location- which was in a simple gazebo in a small park with lots of flowers in it - Abigail rudely ruined the magic of the Mirror of Non-Reflection by loudly stating, “It’s just a stand-up mirror that’s been painted completely black.”


Abigail Flynn has a lifetime ban from Iowa.


© 2016 DB Heinemann


Author's Note

DB Heinemann
I did not follow my own advice and did not proofread before posting. Consider it a test.
Keep in mind, I meant this to sort of be like a journal entry type deal so mind the lack of dialogue and "showing not telling".

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

............ I didn't know what to say.

God I'm so gullible. I live in Iowa and was thinking "why haven't I heard of this freaking mirror?!"

The Costco comment, NAILED IT.
"Lighted magnifying mirrors sold at Costco reflects (and exaggerates) your most unattractive facial features in a harsh spotlight."

100/100 for creativity

Posted 7 Years Ago


DB Heinemann

7 Years Ago

Ha! Don't worry. You're not the only person to think it was really. That's the downside of realistic.. read more
Very nice. I love the introduction with all the different mirrors. Nice build up.

Have you seen it or research it?

Posted 7 Years Ago


DB Heinemann

7 Years Ago

No, it's a fictional mirror. But all the other mirrors mentioned are at least based on other people'.. read more
Morgan Bland

7 Years Ago

Oh. Very creative and convincing. Being able to convine someone your fiction is real is a true write.. read more
DB Heinemann

7 Years Ago

Ha! Well it's easier when no fantasy or sci-fi is involved.
I like that ending line. The concept of the "mirror of non-reflection" is very interesting, and the build-up to the end works quite well and feels natural.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Superb! I did feel cheated at the end, though. Don't change it, write another story.

Posted 7 Years Ago


DB Heinemann

7 Years Ago

Interesting suggestion. Who or what am I following after Abigail's comment?
lol....you have a great imagination awesome story but yeah it did go on like an endless journal
love story idea

Posted 7 Years Ago


DB Heinemann

7 Years Ago

Yea, I've been told it'd be better as an actual story and maybe I'll rewrite it as such if I need an.. read more
Kateena Clarke

7 Years Ago

well done its very good.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

454 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 16, 2016
Last Updated on November 16, 2016
Tags: mirror, Iowa, exposition

Author

DB Heinemann
DB Heinemann

CA



About
Just a super awesome person looking to hone the craft. I mostly do fantasy but I occasionally get science fiction-y or some artsy fartsy soul searching writing. But fantasy's my main go to because the.. more..

Writing
HOZ Prologue HOZ Prologue

A Chapter by DB Heinemann


HOZ 1 HOZ 1

A Chapter by DB Heinemann