Moon Shadow

Moon Shadow

A Story by Aldora Sparrow
"

Not long ago, we had to take a standardized testing and were expected to write off a prompt. As practice, my dad timed me for 25 min. I had written this in that time and I made no changes whatsoever. This is the first time Sera and Alice came to life. I

"

 

The afternoon sun shone down in a shower of light and warmth. Trees rustled with the wind’s soft sigh and birds sang. Sera smiled and Alice frowned. Sera beamed at the beautiful scenes and Alice glared at the sky.
“C’mon Alice!” Sera called. “Mother is waiting!”
“Ah…I know, I know.” She grumbled back. They walked down the paved path and strode through the store door. A small chime clinked somewhere.
“Welcome!” the aging shopkeeper said. “How may I help you two pretty girls this beautiful day?”
“A flute.” Alice and Sera said together. “We need a flute.”
He nodded. “Yes. We have many of those. Come this way.”
One hour, two hours passed as the twins searched for through the shelves upon shelves of flute. Blue flutes, red, violet, sea foam, every color of the rainbow. Finally the two decided on a pair of flutes- a midnight and moonlight, perfect in every way.
But they were costly and the twin’s pockets were lighter as they carried the flutes away. The both took one and gave them names. Alice’s black one was named Ebony and Sera’s white was christened Ivory. All was well until the two began to doubt their choice.
“Alice?”
“Hmm?”
“Do you think we made the right choice? Do you think these two will cure Mother with their music?”
“I was just thinking that.”
“What should we do?”
“I guess go back and return them.”
“No! Mother can’t wait that long!”
“Well do you have any bright ideas?”
“I-” Sera never finished her sentence. Her amber eyes widened. Alice’s black eyes followed her gaze and she froze.
There, standing tall, was a silver stag. Strong muscles rippled under his bluish fur and he had piercing blue eyes. Shining like an ice crystal in the morning sun, he was radiant.
“Sera,” Alice murmured, eyes never leaving the stag. “Sera, tell me, am I hallucinating?”
“No.” She breathed back. There was a flash and the stag disappeared. In his place was a flute. They went over and picked it up. It was the same silvery-blue as the stag and was cold to their touch. It glowed with a faint gold and intricate black designs lined the smooth surface like a stone from a river.
“Moon Shadow.” They whispered together, neither knowing how they knew its name. “The middle of Ebony and Ivory, Light and Dark, Sun and Moon, and Day and Night.”
Sera looked at Alice. “Do you think this will cure Mother?”
“You bet.” Under the afternoon sun, Alice smiled for the first time in a long time. “C’mon. Let’s go home.”

© 2009 Aldora Sparrow


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It gave me goosebumps. What an inspirational story.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Congrats on your winning story. Great work.

Posted 14 Years Ago


this is really good :]
*whispers* you should add more. lol

Posted 14 Years Ago


good story, but i think that you should of added more to it.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Again, you need more story. This story is crying out for a background and a continuation. I really enjoyed this but it really needs more.

Posted 15 Years Ago


A very cute story. I really liked it, and I think even younger readers would be able to enjoy and appreciate the tale.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It's really cute.
With some editing and a bit more detail you'd be set ^_^
Well done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

311 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 5, 2008
Last Updated on March 7, 2009

Author

Aldora Sparrow
Aldora Sparrow

About
I have been writing for longer than I can remember, but it was only during 7th grade did I start to write outside of class. I am still inexperienced and I love helpful comments. I love to write fa.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..