Art

Art

A Story by darkmeanders
"

an experiment with half-truths

"

It was shaping up to be the perfect white Christmas. Fluffy clouds were dropping large snowflakes onto the frozen landscape in front of me. It was picturesque and silent. Worthy of art, but nothing would capture its beauty. I sipped from my coffee and leaned on the porch in the midnight air. The night was perfect. No noise to disrupt my work, and everyone was asleep waiting for Santa. I went back inside and set down my coffee. I wanted to work tonight. Create another masterpiece to add to my collection. I just needed more supplies. I grabbed my coat and slipped out the door.

              As I strolled down the street, the wind whipped up the edges of my coat and threw snow into my face. The weather was nicer on my porch. Either way, I would enjoy this walk and the rest of the night. The sidewalk was barely icy which would be helpful for the walk home. I passed the studio that displayed my work. A sign was plastered in the window advertising the “Red Artist”. I was known for my canvases covered in varying shades of red. Buyers had started coming from all over for a chance to buy my art, but I could only make one canvas a month. I took a turn down an alley hoping to reach the best supply location sooner.

It was a bit of a struggle with the weather and the heavy load, but I made it back to my apartment with everything I needed. The only trace that I went out were a few tracks in the snow leading up to the back entrance. I rarely use the front door because I live at the far side of the complex.

My canvas was already set up, and my tools were on the table. I dipped one of the tools into the color and let the red fly. It splattered across the canvas, and more soon followed. The color danced and created art. It was a mess on the floor, but the beauty was worth it. It was always worth it and the reason I kept so much cleaner on hand. The empty containers get tossed in the sink with a bottle of cleaner, and the mess will be gone by tomorrow. With my art completed and drying, I can sleep in peace. It will be a quiet Christmas tomorrow.

I woke up to twinkling lights outside and an obnoxious noise. Some kid must have gotten a very loud toy in one of the adjacent apartments. Someone banged heavily on my door.

~~~

“Breaking news this Christmas morning. A local man was arrested for the serial murder of over fifteen people in the past few years. Daniel Perry, more commonly known as the ‘Red Artist’, was found in his apartment after a neighbor noticed suspicious tracks in the snow leading to the back entrance of their apartment complex. The police investigated and found disintegrating body parts in a sink of chemicals and a canvas covered in blood. Perry confessed to abducting his victims and using their blood to create the paintings he is so well known for. The police will release more details in the coming hours about the investigation.”

© 2018 darkmeanders


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on January 19, 2018
Last Updated on January 19, 2018

Author

darkmeanders
darkmeanders

GA



About
beware the dark paths my stories will take more..

Writing