Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
All You Need Is Love

All You Need Is Love

A Story by Deep Dish
"

A short story of a young man who can't sleep and ends up having a very strange dream.

"
I​ ​couldn’t​ ​sleep,​ ​so​ ​I​ ​tried​ ​to​ ​count​ ​sheep.​ ​​ It​ ​didn’t​ ​work. 
I​ ​got​ ​up​ ​out​ ​of​ ​my​ ​bed​ ​that’s​ ​just​ ​a​ ​little​ ​too​ ​big​ ​and​ ​a​ ​little​ ​too​ ​comfortable​ ​and​ ​walked​ ​out​ ​of​ ​my room​ ​and​ ​into​ ​the​ ​kitchen.  When​ ​I​ ​opened​ ​the​ ​fridge​ ​door​ ​it​ ​hurt​ ​my​ ​eyes;​ ​but​ ​it​ ​was​ ​a​ ​good​ ​type​ ​of​ ​hurt.​ ​​ ​Like​ ​when​ ​the person​ ​you​ ​love​ ​hits​ ​you​ ​in​ ​the​ ​arm.​ ​Or​ ​like​ ​when​ ​you​ ​get​ ​sunburned​ ​for​ ​the​ ​first​ ​time​ ​of​ ​the summer.
I​ ​grabbed​ ​out​ ​some​ ​day-old​ ​takeout​ ​chicken​ ​wings​ ​with​ ​the​ ​sauce​ ​soaked​ ​into​ ​the​ ​breading​ ​and a​ ​nearly​ ​empty​ ​gallon​ ​of​ ​two​ ​percent​ ​milk.​ ​​ ​I​ ​finished​ ​the​ ​wings​ ​and​ ​the​ ​milk.​ ​​ ​I​ ​wasn’t​ ​hungry​ ​but I​ ​thought​ ​maybe​ ​if​ ​I​ ​ate​ ​something​ ​it​ ​would​ ​help​ ​me​ ​sleep.​ ​​ ​It​ ​didn’t​ ​work.
I​ ​walked​ ​into​ ​the​ ​living​ ​room​ ​and​ ​laid​ ​on​ ​the​ ​floor.​ ​​ ​I​ ​began​ ​to​ ​do​ ​push-ups.​ ​​ ​I​ ​got​ ​to​ ​one​ ​hundred and​ ​thirteen​ ​before​ ​I​ ​stopped.​ ​​ ​I​ ​thought​ ​maybe​ ​if​ ​I​ ​did​ ​push-ups​ ​they​ ​would​ ​make​ ​me​ ​tired​ ​and help​ ​me​ ​sleep.​ ​​ ​It​ ​didn’t​ ​work.
I​ ​got​ ​off​ ​of​ ​the​ ​floor​ ​now​ ​feeling​ ​sick​ ​from​ ​the​ ​wings​ ​and​ ​sweaty​ ​from​ ​the​ ​push-ups.​ ​​ ​Then​ ​I walked​ ​back​ ​to​ ​my​ ​bedroom​ ​and​ ​gently​ ​got​ ​back​ ​into​ ​my​ ​bed​ ​that’s​ ​just​ ​a​ ​little​ ​too​ ​big​ ​and​ ​a​ ​little too​ ​comfortable.
I​ ​just​ ​laid​ ​there​ ​with​ ​my​ ​eyes​ ​closed​ ​in​ ​the​ ​silence​ ​of​ ​the​ ​night.​ ​​ ​I’ve​ ​always​ ​thought​ ​it​ ​was​ ​funny that​ ​I’ve​ ​never​ ​experienced​ ​actual​ ​silence.​ ​​ ​It’s​ ​like​ ​a​ ​myth.​ ​​ ​There’s​ ​always​ ​a​ ​cricket.​ ​​ ​Or​ ​if​ ​not​ ​a cricket​ ​then​ ​the​ ​wind.​ ​​ ​Or​ ​if​ ​not​ ​the​ ​wind​ ​then​ ​your​ ​breaths.​ ​​ ​Or​ ​if​ ​you​ ​manage​ ​to​ ​let​ ​out​ ​a​ ​silent breath,​ ​you​ ​can​ ​still​ ​hear​ ​your​ ​heartbeat​ ​if​ ​you​ ​listen​ ​closely.
I​ ​just​ ​laid​ ​there​ ​in​ ​the​ ​darkness,​ ​listening​ ​to​ ​the​ ​crickets​ ​thinking​ ​they​ ​would​ ​help​ ​me​ ​fall​ ​asleep. It​ ​didn’t​ ​work.
Then​ ​I​ ​tried​ ​listening​ ​to​ ​the​ ​wind.​ ​​ ​That​ ​didn’t​ ​work​ ​either.
Then​ ​I​ ​tried​ ​listening​ ​to​ ​my​ ​breathing.​ ​​ ​That​ ​didn’t​ ​work​ ​either.
Then​ ​I​ ​tried​ ​listening​ ​to​ ​my​ ​heartbeat.​ ​​ ​I​ ​listened​ ​real​ ​close.​ ​​ ​It​ ​was​ ​quiet​ ​at​ ​first​ ​but​ ​I​ ​kept listening.​ ​​ ​It​ ​got​ ​louder.​ ​​ ​It​ ​went​ ​from​ ​a​ ​faint​ ​buh-bump,​ ​buh-bump,​ ​to​ ​a​ ​pounding​ ​drum.​ ​​ ​It​ ​was all​ ​I​ ​heard.​ ​​ ​There​ ​were​ ​no​ ​more​ ​crickets.​ ​​ ​There​ ​was​ ​no​ ​more​ ​wind.​ ​​ ​I​ ​don’t​ ​even​ ​know​ ​if​ ​I​ ​was still​ ​breathing.​ ​​ ​All​ ​I​ ​knew​ ​was​ ​the​ ​darkness​ ​around​ ​me​ ​and​ ​the​ ​pounding​ ​drum​ ​resonating through​ ​my​ ​chest​ ​and​ ​into​ ​my​ ​head​ ​and​ ​arms​ ​and​ ​legs​ ​and​ ​fingers​ ​and​ ​toes.​ ​​ ​I​ ​kept​ ​listening.​ ​​ ​I was​ ​getting​ ​tired.​ ​​ ​Very​ ​tired.​ ​​ ​More​ ​tired​ ​than​ ​I​ ​had​ ​ever​ ​been.
Then​ ​the​ ​pounding​ ​suddenly​ ​stopped​ ​with​ ​one​ ​loud​ ​BUH-BUMP.​ ​​ ​I​ ​kept​ ​listening,​ ​but​ ​there​ ​was nothing.​ ​​ ​It​ ​was​ ​silence.​ ​​ ​I​ ​tried​ ​to​ ​open​ ​my​ ​eyes​ ​but​ ​realized​ ​I​ ​didn’t​ ​know​ ​where​ ​they​ ​were.​ ​​ ​I tried​ ​to​ ​pull​ ​the​ ​covers​ ​of​ ​my​ ​bed​ ​off​ ​of​ ​myself​ ​but​ ​couldn’t​ ​find​ ​them,​ ​or​ ​my​ ​arms.​ ​​ ​Or​ ​my​ ​legs. Or​ ​my​ ​anything.​ ​​ ​My​ ​body​ ​was​ ​gone​ ​and​ ​I​ ​was​ ​just​ ​there​ ​in​ ​a​ ​void​ ​of​ ​dark​ ​silence.​ ​​ ​Real​ ​silence. I’m​ ​not​ ​sure​ ​if​ ​I​ ​can​ ​even​ ​say​ ​I​ ​was​ ​there,​ ​in​ ​the​ ​void,​ ​not​ ​only​ ​because​ ​I​ ​don’t​ ​know​ ​where “there”​ ​is​ ​but​ ​because​ ​I​ ​don’t​ ​know​ ​what​ ​I​ ​mean​ ​by​ ​“I”​ ​when​ ​there​ ​was​ ​no​ ​body​ ​to​ ​contain whatever​ ​I​ ​am,​ ​or​ ​whatever​ ​that​ ​part​ ​of​ ​me​ ​was.
I​ ​wasn’t​ ​tired​ ​anymore.​ ​​ ​I​ ​wasn’t​ ​sick​ ​or​ ​sweaty​ ​anymore.​ ​​ ​I​ ​was…​ ​The​ ​silence​ ​was​ ​broken​ ​by​ ​a voice.
“Hello.” It​ ​was​ ​familiar​ ​and​ ​friendly.​ ​​ ​It​ ​was​ ​my​ ​own,​ ​but​ ​I​ ​didn’t​ ​say​ ​the​ ​word.
“Hello.”​ ​I​ ​said​ ​back​ ​to​ ​myself.
“Am​ ​I​ ​dead?”​ ​I​ ​asked.
I​ ​heard​ ​a​ ​kind​ ​and​ ​amusing​ ​laugh,​ ​“Hahaha​ ​no,​ ​you​ ​aren’t​ ​dead.​ ​​ ​There​ ​is​ ​no​ ​such​ ​thing​ ​as death,​ ​at​ ​least​ ​in​ ​the​ ​way​ ​you​ ​understand​ ​it.”​ ​the​ ​voice​ ​replied.
“What​ ​do​ ​you​ ​mean?”​ ​I​ ​asked.
“Well,​ ​everyone​ ​you’ve​ ​ever​ ​known​ ​has​ ​believed​ ​death​ ​to​ ​be​ ​the​ ​end​ ​of​ ​life.​ ​​ ​They​ ​have​ ​believed it​ ​to​ ​be​ ​the​ ​transition​ ​to​ ​somewhere​ ​else,​ ​or​ ​even​ ​nowhere.”
“So,​ ​then​ ​what​ ​is​ ​death?”​ ​I​ ​asked.
“There​ ​is​ ​no​ ​death.”​ ​the​ ​voice​ ​said,​ ​making​ ​me​ ​feel​ ​silly.
“Then​ ​what​ ​happens​ ​when​ ​you​ ​die?”
“You​ ​don’t."
“I’m​ ​confused.”​ ​I​ ​replied.
“Don’t​ ​you​ ​get​ ​it?”
“Get​ ​what?”
“Where​ ​do​ ​you​ ​think​ ​you​ ​are​ ​right​ ​now?”​ ​​ ​The​ ​voice​ ​was​ ​the​ ​one​ ​asking​ ​the​ ​questions​ ​now.
“I​ ​don’t​ ​know.”​ ​I​ ​said,​ ​puzzled.
“Guess.”
“Well,​ ​I​ ​guess​ ​I’m​ ​within​ ​myself.”
“You’re​ ​on​ ​the​ ​right​ ​track.”​ ​the​ ​voice​ ​said.
“Who​ ​are​ ​you?” I asked.
“Guess.”​ ​it​ ​said​ ​again.
“You​ ​are​ ​me?”
“Yes.”​ ​the​ ​voice​ ​replied,​ ​giving​ ​me​ ​the​ ​first​ ​actual​ ​answer​ ​of​ ​the​ ​conversation. It​ ​continued​ ​to​ ​speak,​ ​“Don’t​ ​you​ ​ever​ ​wonder​ ​where​ ​the​ ​voice​ ​inside​ ​your​ ​head​ ​comes​ ​from? The​ ​voice​ ​that​ ​asks​ ​questions,​ ​and​ ​makes​ ​decisions,​ ​and​ ​thinks​ ​of​ ​ideas?​ ​​ ​That​ ​is​ ​me.​ ​​ ​And​ ​I am​ ​you.”
“That​ ​doesn’t​ ​make​ ​sense.”​ ​I​ ​told​ ​myself.
“Yes​ ​it​ ​does.​ ​​ ​Haven’t​ ​you​ ​ever​ ​questioned​ ​what​ ​is​ ​going​ ​on​ ​when​ ​you​ ​imagine​ ​things?​ ​​ ​When you​ ​think​ ​of​ ​a​ ​memory,​ ​you​ ​can​ ​see​ ​it​ ​right?​ ​​ ​You​ ​can​ ​hear​ ​it​ ​and​ ​even​ ​feel​ ​it​ ​in​ ​some​ ​ways. When​ ​you​ ​read​ ​something,​ ​you​ ​can​ ​see​ ​it​ ​and​ ​hear​ ​it​ ​and​ ​feel​ ​it.​ ​​ ​There​ ​has​ ​been​ ​this​ ​belief​ ​that all​ ​of​ ​this​ ​occurs​ ​in​ ​your​ ​‘head’​ ​but​ ​that​ ​is​ ​not​ ​the​ ​case.”
“Then​ ​where​ ​does​ ​it​ ​all​ ​happen?”​ ​I​ ​asked,​ ​feeling​ ​confused​ ​again.
“Where​ ​are​ ​you​ ​right​ ​now?”​ ​the​ ​voice​ ​asked.
“Within​ ​myself.”
“Are​ ​you​ ​in​ ​your​ ​head?”
“No.”
“So​ ​where​ ​are​ ​you?”
“Nowhere.”
“Wrong.”​ ​the​ ​voice​ ​told​ ​me,​ ​“You​ ​are​ ​everywhere.​ ​​ ​You​ ​are​ ​every​ ​thing​ ​in​ ​every​ ​time​ ​and​ ​every place.​ ​​ ​That​ ​is​ ​how​ ​it​ ​has​ ​always​ ​been​ ​and​ ​how​ ​it​ ​always​ ​will​ ​be.​ ​​ ​The​ ​entire​ ​universe​ ​is​ ​within you.”
“This​ ​is​ ​a​ ​lot​ ​to​ ​take​ ​in.”​ ​I​ ​replied.
“If​ ​it​ ​was​ ​easy​ ​to​ ​understand​ ​then​ ​everyone​ ​would​ ​have​ ​it​ ​figured​ ​out.​ ​​ ​But​ ​here​ ​we​ ​are, thousands​ ​of​ ​years​ ​after​ ​humans​ ​gained​ ​the​ ​ability​ ​to​ ​think,​ ​and​ ​still​ ​nothing.”
“You’re​ ​making​ ​it​ ​sound​ ​like​ ​I’m​ ​a​ ​god​ ​or​ ​something.”​ ​I​ ​accused.
“You​ ​are,​ ​at​ ​least​ ​in​ ​the​ ​way​ ​you​ ​understand​ ​a​ ​god​ ​to​ ​be.”​ ​the​ ​voice​ ​retorted.
“So,​ ​everything​ ​is​ ​within​ ​me?​ ​Just​ ​me?”
The​ ​kind​ ​laugh​ ​came​ ​once​ ​again,​ ​“Hahaha​ ​no,​ ​you​ ​aren’t​ ​that​ ​special!​ ​​ ​It​ ​is​ ​everybody. Everyone​ ​is​ ​connected​ ​with​ ​each​ ​other.”
“So​ ​everyone​ ​has​ ​everything​ ​within​ ​themselves?”​ ​I​ ​questioned.
“Yes.​ ​​ ​Go​ ​ahead.​ ​​ ​Try​ ​it​ ​out.​ ​​ ​Think​ ​of​ ​anything.​ ​​ ​Think​ ​of​ ​your​ ​body​ ​if​ ​it​ ​will​ ​help​ ​you.” I​ ​thought​ ​of​ ​being​ ​in​ ​my​ ​own​ ​body​ ​again​ ​and​ ​in​ ​no​ ​amount​ ​of​ ​time​ ​I​ ​looked​ ​down​ ​and​ ​saw myself;​ ​the​ ​hands,​ ​the​ ​arms,​ ​the​ ​legs,​ ​the​ ​feet,​ ​it​ ​was​ ​all​ ​there.
“Now​ ​think​ ​about​ ​something​ ​you​ ​want.​ ​​ ​Anything.”
Right then,​ ​a​ ​cookie​ ​appeared​ ​in​ ​front​ ​of​ ​me.​ ​​ ​Not​ ​just​ ​any​ ​cookie,​ ​but​ ​a​ ​chocolate chip​ ​cookie,​ ​like​ ​the​ ​ones​ ​my​ ​great​ ​grandma​ ​used​ ​to​ ​make​ ​before​ ​she​ ​passed​ ​away​ ​four​ ​years ago.​ ​​ ​They​ ​were​ ​the​ ​most​ ​delicious​ ​thing​ ​I​ ​had​ ​ever​ ​tasted.​ ​​ ​It​ ​was​ ​just​ ​sitting​ ​there,​ ​suspended in​ ​the​ ​void.​ ​​ ​I​ ​reached​ ​out,​ ​grabbed​ ​it,​ ​and​ ​took​ ​a​ ​bite.​ ​​ ​It​ ​tasted​ exactly​ ​how​ ​I​ ​remembered.
“How​ ​did​ ​you​ ​do​ ​that?”​ ​I​ ​quickly​ ​asked​ ​the​ ​voice.
“You​ ​did​ ​that.”​ ​it​ ​replied.
“So​ ​this​ ​is​ ​like​ ​heaven?​ ​​ ​Is​ ​this​ ​where​ ​we​ ​go​ ​when​ ​we​ ​die?​ ​​ ​We​ ​can​ ​have​ ​whatever​ ​we​ ​want?”
“Like​ ​I​ ​said,​ ​you​ ​don’t​ ​die.​ ​​ ​But​ ​it​ ​is​ ​like​ ​heaven​ ​in​ ​a​ ​way,​ ​although​ ​you​ ​don’t​ ​have​ ​to​ ​die​ ​to​ ​come here.​ ​​ ​You​ ​can​ ​have​ ​whatever​ ​you​ ​want​ ​whenever​ ​you​ ​want.”​ ​the​ ​voice​ ​told​ ​me.
“What​ ​do​ ​you​ ​mean?”
“You​ ​don’t​ ​have​ ​to​ ​come​ ​here​ ​in​ ​order​ ​to​ ​have​ ​whatever​ ​you​ ​want.​ ​​ ​You​ ​can​ ​get​ ​anything​ ​at anytime.​ ​​ ​Every​ ​limitation​ ​you​ ​have​ ​only​ ​affects​ ​you​ ​because​ ​you​ ​have​ ​been​ ​told​ ​it​ ​affects​ ​you. You’re​ ​like​ ​a​ ​god,​ ​remember?”​ ​it​ ​explained. “Wait,​ ​so​ ​I​ ​can​ ​make​ ​anything​ ​happen?”​ ​I​ ​asked.
“It​ ​is​ ​time​ ​to​ ​get​ ​up.”
“Wait.  No.​ ​​ ​I​ ​have​ ​more​ ​questions.”
“There’s​ ​nothing​ ​you​ ​can​ ​do​ ​that​ ​can’t​ ​be​ ​done.”
“What​ ​do​ ​you​ ​mean?​ ​Please​ ​tell​ ​me.”
“There’s​ ​nothing​ ​you​ ​can​ ​sing​ ​that​ ​can’t​ ​be​ ​sung.​ ​​ ​Nothing​ ​you​ ​can​ ​say​ ​but​ ​you​ ​can​ ​learn​ ​how​ ​to play​ ​the​ ​game,​ ​it’s​ ​easy.”​ ​the​ ​voice​ ​was​ ​singing​ ​now,​ ​something​ ​familiar.
“Please,​ ​don’t​ ​go​ ​I​ ​have​ ​more​ ​to​ ​ask​ ​you!”​ ​I​ ​shouted.
“All​ ​you​ ​need​ ​is​ ​love.​ ​​ ​All​ ​you​ ​need​ ​is​ ​love…”​ ​​ ​The​ ​singing​ ​voice​ ​began​ ​fading​ ​out,​ ​becoming quieter​ ​and​ ​quieter. “Please!​ ​Please!”​ ​​ ​Even​ ​my​ ​screams,​ ​begging​ ​the​ ​voice​ ​to​ ​stay,​ ​faded​ ​out​ ​into​ ​silence.
The​ ​buh-bump​ ​of​ ​my​ ​heart​ ​came​ ​back.​ ​​ ​Then​ ​the​ ​sound​ ​of​ ​my​ ​lungs​ ​returned.​ ​​ ​Then​ ​the​ ​wind. Then​ ​the​ ​crickets.​ ​​ My eyes then​​ ​ripped​ ​open​ ​to​ ​the​ ​sound​ ​of​ ​my​ ​alarm​ ​playing​ ​“All​ ​You​ ​Need​ ​is Love”​ ​by​ ​the​ ​Beatles.
I​ ​woke​ ​up​ ​feeling​ ​more​ ​rested​ ​than​ ​I​ ​had​ ​ever​ ​felt​ ​in​ ​my​ ​entire​ ​life.​ ​​ ​I​ ​remembered​ ​the conversation​ ​vividly;​ ​every​ ​detail,​ ​every​ ​word.​ ​​ ​It​ ​was​ ​the​ ​most​ ​realistic​ ​dream​ ​I​ ​had​ ​ever experienced.​ ​​ ​I​ ​sat​ ​up​ ​in​ ​my​ ​bed​ ​to​ ​kick​ ​off​ ​the​ ​start​ ​of​ ​my​ ​day.​ ​​ ​I​ ​look​ ​down​ ​at​ ​my​ ​shirt​ ​to​ ​see that​ ​it​ ​is​ ​covered​ ​with​ ​crumbs;​ ​the​ ​crumbs​ ​of​ ​a​ ​cookie.

© 2017 Deep Dish


Author's Note

Deep Dish
Ignore formatting problems. What do you think of the concept? What about the language? Is it too simplistic or does it fit the story?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1426 Views
Added on December 6, 2017
Last Updated on December 6, 2017
Tags: fantasy, science fiction, story, short story, sci-fi, motivational, motivation, death, mindfulness, teen fiction, adult fiction, life, confusing, deep

Author

Deep Dish
Deep Dish

Detroit, MI



About
Just a young college student who enjoys all types of writing and would like to find my strengths, weaknesses, and ways to improve my writing. more..