Today I Advocate

Today I Advocate

A Poem by Deborah Leah Krempa

I have the stigma of being mentally ill? Perhaps a kinder word is mentally challenged? Sort of like the illness that affects my life, it is called manic depression. Perhaps a kinder word for it is Bipolar disorder? More like a label to me! Everyone that reads my posts here on face book and other social groups, knows that have a highly intelligent mind and am quite creative. I write poetry and prose, and I am a damn excellent writer. Author of many subjects, some that other writers wouldn't dare to touch. I go there, without pause or hesitation. I write about my beloved son, who lost his life due to a drunk driver who wouldn't forfeit his keys, or take a taxi home, one who made such a reckless decision, and in the process my boy lost his life. I write about diverse subjects because the truth need to be told and people need awareness. I write because it is a part of me, who I am and what I need to share with the world, though my world is often too small to allow anyone to come in, Laws need changed in our country, and it takes a voice like mine to help to make those changes. It is preposterous, not to address these issues. Mental illness is a debilitating and misunderstood dilemma that affect a very large part of the population. Those of us affected by this are made to feel as though we carry some outlandishly catchy disease, and people fear what they don't understand or see as "supposedly" normal behavior. Yet, how many can legally consume alcoholic beverages, beyond limitation, and not be classified such as we? How many prescription drug addicts do you know? How many of such persons overdose, every day, and become "dead on arrival" at some hospital or morgue? Well you know something< I live with this stigma every day, every hour of every year. So lets keep allowing ourselves to be ridiculed and shunned, by our family and peers. Let us give up the ghost and succumb to societies big lie. Election is near, come November, we vote for a new President and for a change in our government representatives, The House and the Congress, our state senators, governors, judges and mayors. Who are you voting for this year? Is it your typical democratic or republican ticket? Or do you vote for the most honest, sincere, well educated man for the job? Maybe I put a lot of thoughts out here today, but think about it, and tell me what the hell makes you more different or better than me or the next guy? By the way, do you have the courage to leave a comment or a review on this subject matter? Or does the fear of the truth engulf you?

© 2015 Deborah Leah Krempa


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
Added on September 9, 2015
Last Updated on September 9, 2015

Author

Deborah Leah Krempa
Deborah Leah Krempa

Toledo, OH



About
I am grandmother,.. My children and my grandchildren I love them all so very much. They are my gifts from my creator, the blessings in this life. I simply adore poetry and the .. more..

Writing