What about the Consciousness?

What about the Consciousness?

A Poem by Dominic Freschi
"

My thoughts about the abyss lying beyond this life.

"
I really do not know why, but the thoughts of what comes after death have been traveling through my head tonight.

The thoughts of nothingness scare me. I am afraid that I will be forgotten.


I do not want to leave the people I love.


The Christian Faith states that we will enter paradise through Jesus.


As much as I want to believe in this, a paradise after death, its not like you can ask someone who has died before, they're gone.


I mean, we cannot prove that the soul exists, and in death, the body decays and disappears into the Earth.


That's the scientific perspective.


But what about this thing we call a consciousness?


This thing that cannot be put in a jar.


An intangible entity that we know exists, the only way I could be writing this now is because of my consciousness.


It seems to highly developed to simply die when a body does.


But what does it do? Where does it go?


I don't want to disappear into the darkness, but that seems to be the only thing my mind wanders towards...

© 2010 Dominic Freschi


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think you put down a good explanation on why so many fear death. Firstly people fear the unknown and secondly, they don't want to be forgotten or leave the comfortable lives they know now.

I'm a pagan, I believe in re-incarnation so I'm not bothered.

I also see it this way, I have passed out. During that time I had absolutely no concept of time, sentience, none of it. So, if that happens when I die; I again see nothing to fear. I won't be sentient enough to understand what's happening, there will be no pain, no fear, no pining after family members because I will simply not exist.

To my mind when the time comes to really die, when the cycle of re-incarnation ends - our consciousness will decay and be reduced to the particles it's comprised of just as our physical shell will be. Those particles will then return to the cycle and go towards forming a new consciousness, just as the particles from our physical shell will.

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
ali
Just a thought as far as the structure goes, you might want to cut out words and rework the line breaks. Try to make it sound conversational, and make pauses where you would take breaths.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Is it really so bad to be forgotten? That is my thought here :) The way I see it everyone will be forgotten one day, and everything. For your memory to live on for 2 years or 50. The difference is meaningless :) I don't believe in the sci-fi idea of this species surviving into the future :)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 13, 2010
Last Updated on December 13, 2010

Author

Dominic Freschi
Dominic Freschi

Walnut Creek, CA



About
Not a big writer for most things, just like putting some random ideas to paper and seeing what others think. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Dominic Freschi