Chapter 17- MIchael

Chapter 17- MIchael

A Chapter by KittyKatgirl


They were in the computer room. Nick was listening Bubba was talking. Michael wanted to get it over with. They had finally decided to do it, Nick and himself. They were going to ask the girls out.


“It’s important you do everything in its proper order,” Bubba was saying. “Get her alone. Start a conversation. Bring up a movie. A movie doesn’t sound as heavy as dinner. Of course, once you’re on your date you can always go to dinner. But it’s easy for you to work a movie into the conversation. Do each of you know what’s playing?”


“Yes,” Michael said.


“No,” Nick said, hanging on to Bubba’s every word. He had looked more relaxed during Kats holdup. Then again, Michael wasn’t enjoying a period of low blood pressure. It struck him as ironic that the fear of one little word could have such an effect on two grown boys. Would you like to get together this weekend?


No.


A big little word.


“It doesn’t matter,” Bubba continued. “She’ll know what’s playing. Then ask if she’s busy this weekend. This is a better question then asking outright if she’d like to go out. It eliminates a possible objection before she can raise it.”


“But you asked Clair outright?” Michael asked.


“Yes, but neither of you is Bubba. Now after she has said no-“


“What if she is busy?” Nick interrupted.


“Then ask about another time. Don’t be discouraged if this weekend is not good. Even teenage girls have other commitments. But if she puts you off twice, then back off. Keep your dignity.”


“Go on,” Nick said.


“Arrange the date. Set a definite time and get her phone number and address. Be sure to paint a picture that the whole thing is casual. That way she’ll know how to dress without asking. Also you don’t want her to think she’s overly important to you.”


“Get off it,” Michael said.


Bubba spoke seriously. “That may offend your romantic ideals, Mike, but it’s a fact the human animal only desires what it can’t have. True, you have to make her feel wanted, but never loved. If she knows you can’t live without her, then she’ll also know she can see you whenever she wants. You want to operate from a position of strength. Always keep her in the dark, unsure of where she stands.”


“Go on,” Nick said again.


“That’s it for now. When the date’s set, come back here and I’ll give you the next lesson: how to get her clothes off.”


“We have a problem,” Michael said. “Nick doesn’t have a car.”


“Then what is Mike supposed to use?” Nick asked.


“He can borrow my car. And I’ll get Clair to pick me up.”


“You’ll make her drive, and you don’t even have the concert ticket?” Michael asked.


Bubba smiled. “Mike you worry about the most unimportant things.” He stood and slapped them both on the back. “Make me proud of you boys.”


Michael and Nick left Bubba to his computer. Lunch was more than half over. They had to locate the girls quickly. They hurried towards the courtyard.


“Why are we doing this?” Michael muttered.”


“We don’t have to,” Nick said with more than a note of hope in his voice.


“Let’s not start that again.” They had talked about this moment all weekend at work. Without the mutual encouragement, Michael realised, neither of them would have got this far. Yet Michael had another reason for having decided to ask Jessica out. He had a dream.


It had been beautiful. He had been on a roped bridge stretching between two lands, one a desolate desert, the other a lush green forest. There had been a churning river running beneath his feet, and above- in contrast to the brightly lit lands�"a black sky adorned with countless stars. He had been standing in the middle of the bridge facing the desert, hesitating, when a female voice had spoken at his back.


“I will follow you,” she said. And when he started to turn around, she added quickly, “No don’t. You can’t see me.”


“Why not?”


“Because of the veil. I’m still wearing it. But you’re young. Go forward, I will follow you.”


The desert beyond looked most unappealing, particularly compared to the green wood that he could glimpse out the corner of his eye. “Who are you?” he asked.


“You have forgotten.” There was no censure in her voice, only mild amusement and a rich, enduring love. Michael could almost, but not quite, figure out who it was. “It happens sometimes. It doesn’t matter. Just remember that I am behind you. that you can’t fall. No don’t look down either. Go forward.”


“Then can I see you?”


“Yes, but not today. Later, another time. I will see you first, and then we will meet again, like we always do. Go now, and don’t be afraid. You are my love, Michael Olson…”


And then he had woken up, and the stars outside were fading with the approaching dawn. He hadn’t gone back to sleep. He had just lain there feeling content. That had been Saturday morning.


The dream had left him with a measure of courage. Enough to risk the big No. Walking beside Nick, he continued to wonder who the girl had been.


They split up when they reached the centre of campus. Nick had spotted Maria. She was by herself, next to the low adobe wall that surrounded Tabb. Michael wished him luck. He had to chuckle when Nick crossed himself.


Michael sighted Jessica minutes later. She was sitting alone beneath a tree, drinking milk. And he had thought Nick superstitious; he would have recited a Hail Mary on the spot had he been able to remember the opening line. Jessica waved to him. He was trapped.


“How are you doing?” she asked as he approached. She looked positively radiant. Could she be this happy to see him?


“Fine. How are you?”


“Fantastic.” She patted the grass beside her. “Have a seat. I was just thinking about you today, in chemistry class.”


He sat down. The ground felt solid, better than his feet. “Really? I thought they only studied guys like me in psychology.”


She laughed, and he secretly congratulated himself on his witty remark. ‘No, I was remembering how you wrote the lab manual they use.”


Michael almost gagged. “Who told you that?”


She paused. “It’s not true?”


“No. All I did last year was discover a couple of procedural errors in the manual. I didn’t write it.” He smiled. “I am still in high school, after all.”


She laughed. “With your reputation, it’s hard to remember that.”


Michael had never thought of himself as having a reputation. “Are you having trouble in the class?” he asked.


She set down her milk, folder her hands between her bare legs. He couldn’t help noticing how much of her legs there was to notice. Nice skirt. Nice legs. “Yes,” she admitted quietly. “I think missing the first week has thrown me off. We had a quiz today, and I didn’t even know what the question meant.”


“Did you flunk it?”


She giggled. “No, I got an A.” She continued in a serious voice, “No, I really am confused. And I was wondering if maybe you could possibly tutor me a tiny bit? I could pay you for your time and all?” she looked at him with her big brown eyes. “I really need the grade, Michael. My parents are on top of me all the time about my GPA.


He couldn’t believe his luck. It almost seemed unnatural. A corner of his mind wondered if Bubba had not somehow set it up. “Sure, I could help you. But you wouldn’t have to pay me. I think you’ll catch on quickly, once you get used to the chemical language. Physics, calculus, chemistry- they all have a jargon that can be frightening at first. I sometimes think scientists keep it that way to make themselves look smart. Honestly, chemistry is as easy as basic maths.”


“I have a lot of trouble with that, too.”


“When do you want to start?”


“I want to do something for you first.” She brightened. “I know what! I’ll take you to a movie. Yeah, that would be fair. I pay for the movie and you teach me about valence values. How does that sound?”


Michael had to take a breath. Very unnatural this whole conversation. “I have some free time this Saturday. Can you get by in class till then?’


“Yeah, we won’t have another quiz that soon.”  She pulled a pen from her bag, began to write on one of the funny orange envelopes by her side. “I’ll give you my number and address, and you give me yours. If you want, I can drive.”


“No, that’s OK, I have a car.” He would have a Jaguar Saturday night. He began to feel rather happy about the whole dating business. All these lonely years he had suffered in silence. There was nothing to it. All you had to do was decide to ask them out and they asked you. Sure.


This won’t happen again in another three hundred years.


They exchanged the vital information. He noticed she lived in Lemon Grove. Big bucks. Maybe he wouldn’t tell her he had borrowed the Jag. He nodded to the orange envelope in his hand. “What is this?”


“Oh, an invitation to a party my friend’s having. Alice McCoy- I told you about her at the game? You’re welcome to come.”


His heart had skipped as it did last Friday when she had mentioned Alice’s name. But this time the reasons were different. This time there was no reason at all, only the voice in his dream. “I will follow you.” Why would Alice have been standing behind him, covered in a veil? Even his subconscious should have a purpose in putting her there.


“Thanks.” He began to get up. He didn’t think he would go to the party. He would have to be Mr Fantastic again. For now, he was doing all right as Michael Olson. He hadn’t seen Alice at school today. He hoped she wasn’t sick. “I’ve got to go,” he said.


Jessica looked up surprised, got slowly to her feet, brushing off her bottom. “I didn’t mean to keep you.”


“You haven’t. I’m not that busy. I’ll give you a call.”


She smiled. “Or leave me a note in our locker. I seem to keep missing you between classes.”


He had missed her on purpose today. “We’ll talk,” he said, turning away. “Take it easy.”


“Bye!”


He wanted to be happy. He had been looking forward to this moment- he had better be happy. He was going out with Jessica Hart, he told himself. She was sweet, beautiful, charming. He had her number. She needed him. Bubba would be proud of him…


Do you want her to need you? Or to care about you?


He decided as long as he got to see her, he didn’t care.


He hoped Nick was all right.




© 2015 KittyKatgirl


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
Added on November 6, 2015
Last Updated on November 6, 2015


Author

KittyKatgirl
KittyKatgirl

QLD, Australia



About
Hello fellow writers, My name is Crystal Madden and I am an Aussie. Another writer on this website Maddy Meyers is my best friend in real life it was me who introduced her to this website and I am pro.. more..

Writing
You You

A Poem by KittyKatgirl


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by KittyKatgirl