Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by KittyKatgirl
"

Lucy doesn't want to come back to her hometown especially 5 years after her heart was broken. She plans to stay for 2 weeks but will reuniting with Haven make her want to stay there forever.

"

I stare at the letter tears running down my face. How could no one tell me this?

Why do they tell me when it's too late. For f**k's sake he was in hospital for 3 days before he died and they let me know now.

My father suffered a fatal heart attack and I wasn't there to hold his hand in his dying moments. Now I got  a letter explaining that his funeral was being planned by his awful step sister.

I shook my head. No I can't go back. 5 years ago I left without looking back and there was no way I could go back now. But I couldn't just not go to my father's funeral either.

I just spent the whole day crying with the letter clenched in my hand somehow falling to asleep.

By morning I had come to my senses without even making myself a coffee I grabbed my packed suitcase with the needed essentials. Two weeks, maybe not even that, that's all it took.

His funeral wasn't till Friday next week which was 10 days away but I knew I had to make sure he had the funeral the way he wanted it to be. His stepsister would probably make him wear pink in his grave for crying out loud.

Slamming the boot shut I went around to the driver's side preparing myself for the 14 hour drive. I only stopped once for a hour's break to grab something to eat and my daily dosage of coffee. Black just the way I liked it. It suited my mood perfectly.

I stopped at the outskirts of the small town, where I was born and grew up in. Nothing much has changed which didn't surprise me it's only been 5 years since I've been here after all.

I slowly drive down the familiar streets then stop abruptly causing a car behind me to honk his horn.

I roll my eyes that didn't change either. What caught my attention was the Jackson's bookstore. The place where I spent all my free time in from when I finished school till it was time for dinner. Curious I turned left at the next street then made a legal u turn and parked in front of the store and climbed out.

Mr Jackson was a 70 year old man who inherited the shop from his father and been running it for 50 years. I remember he planned on retiring last year and let someone else take over the ownership. Since he had no children I really wanted to know who he let run the store after his retirement.

I hesitate before slowly walking up the path then opened the door unable to hide my smile, when I hear the familiar jingle. I stepped inside noticing that the bookstore hadn't changed a bit. The shelves were stacked with books all placed in a different genre and in alphabetical order. I notice someone with long blonde hair who had her head down behind the counter. Suddenly her head shot up and I gasped when I saw my best friend Caitlin's face.

"Omg Lucy what the hell!" she said sounding almost shocked as I was. Mr Jackson chose her to run the shop. Come to think of it, it was no surprise, Caitlin loved this place just as much as I did, but I didn't think this was what she would want to do.
She comes out from behind the counter and I smile opening my arms and she stepped into my embrace. We hugged for a few minutes before she finally pulled away staring at my face.

"I can't believe you are back," she said hugging me again.

"Well I'm not going to skip my father's funeral," I said rather bluntly.

She looked at me for a few seconds biting her lip. "I'm sorry about your dad Lucy. I would have called you as soon as I heard he had a heart attack, but you left without a word right after graduation." Caitlin said sounding really hurt.

I bite my lip feeling guilty. It was true right after I got my diploma, I packed my stuff and left the only person who knew was my father. Even though it hurt him badly I had to get away from this town. It wasn't where I wanted to be, especially after the incident with Haven.

"I'm sorry," I said quietly looking down then notice the ring on her finger. "You're married."

"Engaged. Can you believe it?" Caitlin asked holding it up for me to admire.

"To who?" I asked shocked.

"You'll see he's coming in right now," Caitlin said.

I spun around as I hear the door jingle. First I saw a tall familiar hunk who looked as gorgeous as the last time I saw him, and beside him was Caleb smiling proudly at his fiancée.

"Lucy!" Haven said shocked.



© 2015 KittyKatgirl


Author's Note

KittyKatgirl
Sorry it took me so long I had to sneak on the computer to post this. So I had to type it rather quickly so there might be some errors.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Love this! The character is endearing to me, being a book lover as I am, and I'm totally hooked on the story. She's got to let Haven explain himself this time! Well done, nice way to hold the reader's interest here. :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

One sec. Is haven engaged to her, or is Caleb? Because you described Haven first, then said "beside him was Caleb smiling proudly at his fiancée."

Otherwise, awesome! Can't wait for more!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Love it.. :)

Can't wait for more...

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

319 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 4, 2015
Last Updated on December 4, 2015


Author

KittyKatgirl
KittyKatgirl

QLD, Australia



About
Hello fellow writers, My name is Crystal Madden and I am an Aussie. Another writer on this website Maddy Meyers is my best friend in real life it was me who introduced her to this website and I am pro.. more..

Writing
You You

A Poem by KittyKatgirl


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by KittyKatgirl