Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A Chapter by Carly
"

By Michiko, from Charlie's perspective

"
"

By Michiko, from Charlie's perspective

"
Oh my gosh. Joli looks frantic. What is she doing here? Isn't she supposed to be in, like, Advanced Theory and Modern Idea class or something like that?
"Charlotte? I need to talk to you ASAP." she says. Mr. Wells gives her a really weird look.
"Um, I'm sorry dear, I can't just let students leave class without a note." he says calmly. Joli gives him her no-nonsense look. No one wants to mess with her, not even teachers. He lets me leave class reluctantly.
"OMG Charlotte. It's a crisis." she says, close to tears.
"What's going on? Is something wrong with Dad?" I say nervously.
"WORSE! Dad texted me, saying we need to hang out! He says he's tired of us not getting along! It's like, um hello? Why are you dropping this bomb on us after 16 years?" she says, exasperated.
What?! Dad wants us to, quote, "hang out"? I thought he was on my side! But it is kind of weird, that suddenly he would want us to hang out now.
"Well this sucks. I'm not going to want to do anything that you do." I say.
"Could you not be so self centered?! We have bigger problems! Imagine what this will do to my reputation!" she says. Oh, of course. How could I be so selfish?
"Let's just get some coffee and get it over with." I say. She reluctantly agrees, and I go back to class.
"Is everything okay?" Willow whispers.
"I guess. Dad cracked, he says me and Joli need to spend some time together. We're getting coffee after school." I whisper back.
"What will you guys even talk about?" She asks, concerned.
"Hopefully we can just sit in silence." I say.
The rest of my classes are kind of a blur until lunch. I grab my usual packed lunch (bologna sandwich and a Coke) and take my usual spot in the back of the lunchroom by Willow. We chat about our day for a few minutes. I look over to where Joli is sitting, next to Donald and some girl with straight blonde hair and a bitter expression on her face. Joli gives me a pained look, and I look away.
I have to admit, it hurts a little. She cares more about her reputation, what people will think more than her own flesh and blood. And okay, maybe I'm bot super fond of her. But I wouldn't be afraid if people saw us talking.
The rest of the day, is boring as usual. I go to my locker, taking absolutely as much time as possible to get ready to leave. I walk slowly to the car. Joli is already there. Punctual, as always.
"Let's just get this over with." she says, grumpy.
"I couldn't agree more." I respond, mirroring her tone.
We drive silently to this really fancy coffeehouse. Beacause, of course, plain old Starbucks isn't good enough for Princess Joli.
"I'll have a tall, black coffee." I order.
"Yeah, do you have anything with no sugar and no carbs?" Joli asks, giving the dude behind the counter a charming smile. I roll my eyes.
"Uh yeah. Water." the dude says. Joli narrows her eyes.
"Whatever. I'll just have a small Chai tea." she says.
The dude gets us our drinks and we take a seat in the back. We stare at each other awkwardly. I'm debating, should I just say nothing like I told Willow, or try to be pleasant. But Joli decides for me.
"So uh... Charlotte... How's to art thing going?" she asks awkwardly.
"Oh, uh... You know, pretty good. I'm drawing the tree that's in our backyard. How's, um,
Donald?" I ask politely. This seems to loosen her up.
"Oh! Great. We're like this power couple. I just KNOW we will be crowned
King and Queen at the Spring Formal. You should go. I mean, I could make you look nice.
Permanently straighten your hair. Get you a nice dress. Maybe chiffon!" she says. I cut her off.
"What, so I can look like all your other clone friends? Why can't you ever get that this is me?" I say, angry. She scowls.
"You don't know what it's like to be me. My life is stressful. Everyone expects me to be perfect. And you're the one thing that's making that impossible!" she says.
It was like a slap in the face. We finish our drinks in silence and drive home (well, I drive.) without a word.
Thanks Dad, for the great idea.


© 2010 Carly


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

236 Views
Added on December 31, 2010
Last Updated on December 31, 2010


Author

Carly
Carly

MN



About
I love to write. I mostly write poems because they are my favorite to read. They are descriptive and just great influences. Most of my poems are influenced or inspired by other people but some i just .. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Carly


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Carly


Chapter Four Chapter Four

A Chapter by Carly