Prompt 6: Over The Counter

Prompt 6: Over The Counter

A Story by chesapeake

[Tuesday, 9:00pm]
"You're spiraling out of control and I and your father are worried about you!" my mom yelled at me through my bedroom door. I rolled my eyes at her comment and found a black top with short sleeves and black jean pants. While I was tying up my laces on my combat boots, my parents stormed in.

"Ever heard of knocking?" I threw my covers over my mess of a bed and kicked some clothes out of the way. 

"Every heard of lung cancer?" my dad mocked back as he picked up a butt of a cigarette. He tossed it in my over flowing mountain of garbage.

"It's not mine, it’s Peter's." I replied, saying something true for once. I grabbed Peter's sweatshirt and slipped it on. He was over my house a lot, or I should say in my room a lot. Not like my parents noticed anyways.

"Is this the same boy who was in jail last year and dropped out of high school?" my dad knew the answer to that question and I didn’t bother to answer. "We don't like him and we don't want him at our house." 

I shook my head and brushed past them and into the bathroom. I locked the door and filled the pockets of the sweatshirt with pills. Anything I could find that looked close to a pill, I pocketed as well. "If you want to throw your life away, that's fine by me, but don't expect me to open my door to a bunch of no good people!" his voice rose with every word.

"Michael!" my mom retorted as he stormed away. I groaned before I opened the door. She had her arms crossed in front of her chest and a disappointed look on her face. Thankfully, I could walk by without a single emotion being seen. "Give them to me Taylor."

"What are you talking about?" I asked looking at her with a confused look. it seemed like we stood there forever looking at each other.

"The pills, the one you have in your pockets." She stated with her eye closed before opening them again. 

"I don't know what you're talking about and I have to go." I said walking past her. She grabbed me by the arm and stopped me.

"It's late and I don't know where you're going but until you give me those pills, you're going to your room." 
I laughed as I shook her grip off. "Don't touch me again." I stated over my shoulder before slamming my room door with my foot. It didn't take me long to find my phone and call Peter.

"Hey gorgeous. Where are you?" That was peter, the smooth talker and the lady's man of our group. He was probably waiting in his car for me.

"Hey Pete. I need a favor." I whispered so if my mom was listening she wouldn't be able to hear and the volume of my music helped too.

"You got the goods?" Always his things first. I sighed and shook the pills that way he could hear them. "Nice, now what can I do for you?"

"My mom won't let me go out and you know my bedroom window is on the second floor, so I need you to catch me when I jump." I explained as I opened my window. The cool night air kissed my cheeks as I leaned out a little.

"You are so stupid," he muttered under his breath.

"Sorry, you seem to think that I care. Do you want them or not?" 

"I'll be there in a few seconds, just hold on." He said before rudely hanging up. 

I waited until I could make out his shadow before jumping down. He of course didn't catch me right and we both fell to the ground. "Thanks for nothing!" I yelled at him once we were in his car. His sister was in the back seat.

"Nice to see you too Tay." She said cutting my name short. I bit on my lip hard before I answered her.

"My name is Taylor not Tay, get it right or get out." I said pointing to the dark street. She rolled her eyes at me.

"As if, right Peter?" she asked for her older brother's reassurance. 

"She got the goods sis, whatever she says goes." He said before putting the car into drive.

I closed the journal and handed it over to my consular. She was a thin white lady with a pointy nose like a knife cutting through the air every time she turned her face. I watched as she read over what I wrote so far and grimaced at me.

"This is a good start, but-"

"Look lady-"

"Mrs. Goodrich." She replied cutting me off.

"Whatever. You said all I had to do was write 30 minutes each day until I run out of pages or I finish my little journey on how I got here right?"

"Right." She said simply before taking her glasses off her knife nose and placing it on her desk that stood between us. "Don't you want to write more?"

I gave her an Are-You-Kidding-Me look before speaking. "No, I'm done for today." 

"Well, that's a shame. Do you want me to keep this book or do you want it?" I hate when people ask a question they know the answer to. I took the book from her and got up. "Have a good day Taylor."

"Nice joke." I said over my shoulder before closing her office door behind me. I made my way to my room that a had shared with this one girl until she got out, so I was left alone. I was lying on my bed and re-reading what I had written when a nurse came in and told me someone was here to see me. 

It wasn't the weekend so it wasn't my mom and it wasn't a holiday so it wasn't my dad. I followed the nurse into an open area with chairs before I saw who it was. Liam was looking down at his fingers before looking towards us with a smile. He stood up and I threw my arms around him.

"What are you doing here?" I hadn't seen him in months and I was worrying he would forget me. We both sat down next to each other with goofy grins on our faces.

"I was worried about you. I haven't seen you in forever." He shrugged. "I wanted to see how you were doing." I nodded and thanked him. "So what do these wack jobs have you doing?"

"Could you hold on a sec, I'll be right back I promise." I jogged to my room, grabbed the notebook and came back. "This." He read it and closed it. 

"Was this before we met?"

"Yeah." I answered looking down at my now sweating hands. He nodded and opened it again. I saw a hint of a smile as he touched his picture. 

"How did you get this?" He looked amazed.

"Facebook, hope that wasn't a problem or anything."

"Of course not, but you have to promise me one thing." 

"What?"

"I get to read everything you write in here." He said handing the book over to me. I tried not to let too many people into my life and Liam was one of them.

"Fine, but you keep whatever you read between us, ok? I don't want my parents to know. I want something I can call mine."

"Ours." He smiled before standing to his feet and looking at his phone. "I have to go. I drove up here for my lunch and now I have AP US History, yippee for me." He said with sarcasm. I got to my feet and hugged him again.

"Thanks for stopping by Liam. It meant a lot."

"No prob and I'll be back again tomorrow too so have some food for me." He winked before walking out of the sliding doors and back into the real world. 




© 2015 chesapeake


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
Added on December 30, 2015
Last Updated on December 30, 2015