A Plane Full of Daydreams

A Plane Full of Daydreams

A Story by E. L. Foley
"

More of a little vignette than a story, but I was enjoying writing about daydreaming.

"

On the first truly hot day of the year--when shorts stop being something you wear just to prove that it's summer--there is nothing better than a bowl of ice cream. Well, a cone might have been better, but they were on the top shelf of the pantry, out of reach even with a chair. But stretching out in the grass, slipping her headphones on, it seemed perfect. Everything was finally green, even the mint ice cream.

She opened up Twilight, whose cover was beginning to fall off from so much reading, and took a moment to be truly glad that school was over for the year. With the sun shining full blast, squirrels darting around in the trees, and the fresh smell of cut grass, this was the kind of day that should be enjoyed. A book, music, and ice cream--perfect.

A plane flew over head, and she wondered who was on it and where it was going. Letting her imagination run, she decided that it was London. And that in the first row, there was a British scientist--a physicist. He had just found a new elementary particle, something smaller than anyone had seen before, and he was on his way to the Royal Institute to declare his findings.

Lets see, who else? A businessman about to merge two huge tech companies. Within a year, they'd come up with a new gadget that would be bigger than the iPod, bigger than cell phones. Something that everyone would want to have, would change the way we live.

A woman, going to visit her father. He had moved to England a few years ago, and she tried to get out to see him as often as she could, but it was difficult. She had just finished college a few months ago, and was going to tell him that she was joining the Army. As she sat in her seat, she kept running through how she was going to say it, and hoping that he would be proud of her.

There was a couple going on their honeymoon. It was a second marriage for both of them, but they felt happier than they had in years. Married, and determined that this time they had each found their forever. They kept flipping through guide books, pointing out places that they'd like to go, but it didn't really matter. They could be anywhere--they were just happy to be together.

As the airplane passed the other end of the sky, she let her daydreams fade away, but decided that she would definitely do some writing today. Returning to her book, she smiled.

© 2010 E. L. Foley


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really like this. I was looking at entering this contest, but it seemed a little below me. I usually try to focus on small things, not the actual character. This was absolutely brilliant. I hope you win! Daydreaming is the best subject to write about! Great job. You're an excellent writer.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 17, 2010
Last Updated on May 17, 2010

Author

E. L. Foley
E. L. Foley

It Depends



About
Currently studying Physics, my other pursuits are largely done in the time stolen from lab reports, badly botched circuit building, and endless problems. I knit, write (obviously, though I'm not very.. more..

Writing