Minuet in Minor

Minuet in Minor

A Poem by emipoemi

Timely and tidy in taking their places,

The instruments tuned to their trebles and basses,

As fluttering hearts rush a flush through the faces,

With ev’rything rightly set.

Gracing the stage in a glistening glow,

As the curtain is drawn to get on with the show,

With a tap of the toe and a swish of the bow,

He goes rising up and rolling over,

Playing the Minuet.

 

The sun arcs akimbo, the clouds billow by,

The moon sways surreally, the stars pirouette,

The wind stirs the seas and the trees on the fly,

In step with the movements of his silhouette.

The woodwinds with gusto establish the story,

The brass etch the edge to embolden the glory,

And zinning the zing with the strings to the score-

He goes rising up and rolling over,

Painting the Minuet.

 

Casting the charms in the lime of the light

Through the gloom of the room still and solemn as night

With the blank velvet stares of nobody in sight,

And yet harbouring no regret.

Mellow, profound, by the music possessed,

Ev’ry finger so nimble, each note finely stressed,

And as with the cadence it all comes to rest,

He goes rising up and rolling over,

Dancing the Minuet-

Rising up and rolling over,

Dancing the Minuet.


-EDP

© 2019 emipoemi


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I don't know why I never reviewed this one! Obviously the flow and rhythm is well done as always and the language is provoking. The alliteration is beautiful throughout.

I like the form, especially the rhyme scheme. The fourth line in the first and third stanza as well as the refrain offers a nice break from the rhymes, and a definitive transition to the new rhymes. The rhyming of this same line in each stanza and the rhyming of “Minuet” connects the stanzas effectively. The middle stanza is cool in how it changes it up because it further carries the “Minuet” rhyme and makes it more prominent making the connection and flow between the stanzas more prominent. I like how “score” drops the complete rhyme(I'll talk more about that in a minute) and how the form does not feel overdone or tired yet still offers a multitude of rhymes.

I love the transition in the first stanza from the setting of the stage behind the curtain to the stage that would be visible to the audience. All the techniques: the rhyming, alliteration, assonance, and the rhythm of the metrical feet play into the imagery. “With a tap of the toe and a swish of the bow” is my favorite line in this stanza. The imagery is fantastically expressed by the literary techniques which work off each other so well. It also waltzes into the refrain quite nicely.

The word choice is my favorite thing about the second stanza. I had to look up “akimbo” and “pirouette” and discovered that they offer imagery with a personality of sorts(if that makes sense). The dropping of the complete rhyme with “score” like I mentioned before, make me imagine a dramatic pause in the middle of the performance. The refrain picks up so well after that pause. For that reason, and for the same reason as in the first stanza, “And zinning the zing with the strings to the score-” is my favorite line in the poem as a whole.

I love the context giving in the final stanza. This adds a whole new life to the poem and along with your wording is my favorite part. The wording of “lime of the light”, “blank velvet stares of nobody”, and “each note finely stressed” are fine examples of what I mean. They express the concept across clearly yet uniquely. “With the blank velvet stares of nobody in sight,” is my favorite line of this stanza and a close second to my favorite of the poem. The repeating of the refrain again at the end is a great way to finish that keeps the image alive for the reader.

Again, I don't know why I never reviewed this one. I enjoy reading it line by line and the tone is beautiful along with the concept. A pleasure to read!

Posted 5 Years Ago


emipoemi

5 Years Ago

.....perhaps.
H L Rose

5 Years Ago

... dang it.
your not gunna tell me are you
emipoemi

5 Years Ago

......not publically
You paint such a beautiful picture. I love the rhyme scheme as well.

Posted 5 Years Ago


emipoemi

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much!! This was definitely one of the poems I enjoyed writing the most. So glad you lik.. read more
Quite, quite delightful. Lovely rhythm and some beautiful phrases. I'm particularly taken with the emotion that runs through the whole piece, rising above accurate execution of musical instructions. There is soul in his performance.

Very nice work!
Nigel

Posted 5 Years Ago


emipoemi

5 Years Ago

Thank you!! Glad you enjoyed it.
what a great piece. This rolled downhill with an ease that is astounding. Rhythm created by the rhyme scheme was outstanding. This was crystal clear, tonally pleasing and all around brilliant write.

Posted 5 Years Ago


emipoemi

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much! Glad you enjoyed it.
Breathtakingly beautiful! loved reading, thank you for sharing!

Posted 5 Years Ago


emipoemi

5 Years Ago

thank you for reading! glad you enjoyed it.
You took my breath away. WORDS are ART and you use them so well here, my friend :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


emipoemi

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much! So glad you enjoyed it.
Poetically flowing just as the sights and sounds of his orchestra with such easy and grace.

Posted 5 Years Ago


emipoemi

5 Years Ago

So glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for reading.
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Beautiful poem emipoemi. Lyrical and nicely composed. Also it has lovely imagery.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


emipoemi

5 Years Ago

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed it.
Great cadence and rhyming perfectly matched to your subject. It is really fantastic how you have made this little musical story come alive and progressing through playing and painting to dancing.
You've made it look easy and i'm sure it wasn't!
Regards,
Alan

Posted 6 Years Ago


emipoemi

6 Years Ago

This poem is one of my recent ones (max 2 years old), so at this point in my writing career, if the .. read more
beautiful rhythm. very romantic and elegant. Loved reading this.

Posted 6 Years Ago


emipoemi

6 Years Ago

So glad you did! Thank you so much!

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

604 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 24, 2018
Last Updated on October 28, 2019
Tags: poetry, poem, music, minuet

Author

emipoemi
emipoemi

Canada



About
A shadow striving for a name in the backlots. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..