The Last Day On Earth

The Last Day On Earth

A Story by Emily
"

A dream of the morning of Jesus' arrival

"

             I woke up that morning with a vague remembrance of a dream lived out the night before. As I got out of bed and began waking up, I also began to remember what had happened.

            We all stood around a giant tree. I believed it to be the tree in the Garden of Eden. There was a large snake in it that kept trying to slither downwards. We, my family and I, held onto sticks to push it back up into the branches. Suddenly we all turned to see a timer, that set at sixty minutes and began ticking down, like that of an alarm clock. A sense of joy overtook me when my mother told me that, in sixty minutes, Jesus would come to the earth, and take those that had been saved to heaven. The setting changed, we all walked around uneasily, but overjoyed.

             Every time I went to pack something, or get something important like a piece of jewelry, I remembered that I did not need it, and would not be able to take it with me. I didn’t care; It was finally time to go and see my father in heaven. I had wanted for so long to be with him because my earthly father had left my family and me. 

            We all watched, silently, as the clock shifted its red lights to make up the numbers 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. There was a droaning sound of power shutting off everywhere over the earth I looked out a giant window at the top floor of my ‘home’ and saw a smoggy city that was dimly lit by the sunrise. But clouds blocked out most of the light hitting the earth. Everything was dim, the car’s stopped moving. Those vehicles coming out of an underground pass tunnel were blocked up, and people seemed to be in a daze. Rain began to drizzle then, and disappointment filled my heart. I looked to my mother, who was also disappointed.

            “Maybe we were wrong…” She said, joining me at the window.

            Suddenly I remembered something I had learned long ago. That the clouds would part, and the sky would open up a gate for him.

            “The clouds!” I yelled. “Look! They’re opening. And the sun is coming through…”

            But as I watched the sun cross over the tops of the trees, I realized there were two of them; Two bright shining orbs in the sky, one of them growing brighter and brighter. Just then, a rainbow stretched down to the earth, being pulled by angels.

            The next thing I knew, I was surrounded by heavenly hosts, who were taking us through small gates, like at the airport, that rotate around with metal poles jutting out. They were smiling, and congratulating me. I felt so overjoyed as they told me that my work was done, I had done well on earth, and it was all over now. Heaven was right in front of me. It was a forest, full of sunlight; A large wooden lodge place that had walkways through the woods. I felt so serene that I knew I would never grow tired of living there.

            What happened next terrified me before I awoke, confused. We all talked as we wandered the great field inside the forest. Nobody would ever be sick in heaven, we said. Suddenly somebody coughed. It was a girl my age, and she put her hand to her mouth, and coughed. Before I knew it, flames arose around me and I jolted out of my slumber.

            I knew I had been given a picture of what would happen to the believers, and what would happen to those who had refused Jesus. I knew where I wanted to be on that morning, maybe not so far into the future.

© 2008 Emily


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thank you for sharing this, Emily. I enjoyed reading this very much. I love the vivid imagery that you provided, and you kept me interested through the whole piece. the only problems I have are in regard to the line

" Every time I went to pack something, or get something important like a piece of jewelry, I remembered that I did not need it, and would not be able to take it with me."

I felt like instead of the word "something," it would be a whole lot more interesting for the readers if you were to describe other costly objects that represent worldly treasures. Also, the apostrophe in "car's" is not necessary, and "droning" is misspelled. I adore this little piece of writing, and I can't wait to read more!

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

102 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 20, 2008
Last Updated on April 20, 2008

Author

Emily
Emily

Writing