Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

A Chapter by Emily Quinn
"

~From what we get, we can make a living. What we give; however, makes a life- Arthur Ashe

"

Chapter Seven

 

 

 

 

The kettle blew loud and shrill, steam lifting the metal flap covering the spout with soft rattles. Genevieve rose from the kitchen table and removed it from the burner.

“Two sugars right?” She asked while dunking a teaspoon into the small glass bowl of sugar.

Cadence thumbed through that day’s newspaper, “you know, they only show the negative news.”

“Honey, people only want to see the negative.”

Cadence continued, as if her sister hadn’t spoken. “See, look. ‘Toddler drowns in public pool.’” She read, “’Local politician charged with assault.’ I can’t find one positive story.” She shook her head, flipping through the pages, “There is a lot of good going on in this city but no one ever reports on it.”

“And you know why?” Genevieve poured the boiled water into two tea mugs, “Because tragedy sells Caddie. Positive news is ‘boring.’”

“It’s sad that’s what it is.”

Her sister came back to the table with the two cups of tea, setting one in front of Cadence. “Sweetie if you haven’t learned how sad humanity can be by now then I don’t know if you ever will.”

 

            Cadence sighed, flipping the current page. A very small advertisement at the bottom caught her eye. “Lorna’s turned to newspaper advertisement I see.” She said flatly.

            “For the store?”

            She shook her head. “No. She has this idea of having an Amateur Artist Week, any local talent that wants to submit some of their work can register. It’s a contest.”

            “That’s a great idea.” Genevieve said enthusiastically. She noted cadence’s frown, “Or not?”

            No it is, but she’s only doing it to bring in more business. She wants to charge people for registering. She could care less about the actual art or the people who created it.”

            “I see.” She sipped the steaming tea, “Well her motives are irrelevant as long as it benefits people either way.”

           

Cadence shrugged, “I guess so.” She folded the paper and slid it off to the side. “I was thinking maybe I could start lessons through this Art Week thing, you know nothing big, just an hour or so a day- maybe not even every day- just on the side. Make some extra cash and get steady clientele for when I start my own full time classes.”

“It would be a perfect opportunity.” Genevieve twirled her mug around on the wooden table. “How are you doing anyway.... financially. Are you okay?”

 

Cadence shrugged, “We’re making it by.” She paused, sipped at her tea. The warmth from the liquid soothed the knots in her stomach. “Some weeks better than others.”

Genevieve nodded, “Do you need anything?”

Cadence immediately shook her head in protest, “No, no.”

“Hon.” She said knowingly, “Don’t be proud, we all need help from time to time.”

“No. I’ll make it work.” She smiled weakly, “but I appreciate the offer.”

“If you do... just ask.”

Cadence nodded. Her sister being a child psychologist made a fair amount of money and never hesitated to make sure her older sister was making it by. Cadence never did take money from her, mostly Genevieve would be able to read the stress in Cadence and buy things for the kids because ‘aunts are supposed to spoil their nieces and nephews.’ She would buy them things they needed, clothes, school supplies, shoes, books. Cadence knew she did it to ease the financial strain but neither admitted to what her motives were, there was an unspoken awareness between the two of them.

“Promise?”

She rolled her eyes, “Yes, I promise.”

“Good.”

Cadence chuckled, “You know, typically the older sibling is supposed to take care of the younger one, not the other way around.”

Genevieve smiled, “No one said our family was typical.”

“Aint that the truth.”

 

Cadence could hear her children giggling in the next room as they watched some sort of cartoon. They were such good kids.

“So, how was the beach?” Genevieve asked, gulping back another mouthful of orange pekoe.

 

Cadence couldn’t help but smile, the beach had been amazing. The sun was hot, the breeze cool and the water filled with rolling waves. They had gone around ten and spent the entire day there, only heading back when it got later and the waves grew in size. Cadence had made vegetable wraps for all of them, avoiding using meats to save on cost; she brought granola bars and filled up the water bottles she could find around the apartment with tap water.

 

The beach had a fair number of people on it by noon, couples glowing with tanning oil, kids digging in the sand with sun screen on their ears, blankets, towels, umbrellas and coolers littered the soft, fine sand around them. The seagulls cawed loudly as they fought over any scrap of food people would toss their way and scattered when toddlers ran at them, waddling in their waterproof diapers giggling.

 

            “The beach was fantastic; the kids had a great time.”

Genevieve smirked, “and how was your new man?”

Cadence blushed, “He is not my new man. But he was wonderful, he let the kids burry him neck deep in the sand, helped them make a sand castle with a giant moat around it, he played with them in the waves. It couldn’t have gone better.”

 

She remembered seeing a furiously giggling Kaylie sitting atop his shoulders as he battled the waves dramatically. He had been nominated as the guardian of the princess whose duties consisted of keeping her far away from seaweed (which would latch onto her legs and yank her into the evil water world at the bottom of the lake) and to prevent her recapture from the evil Lord Jaydon and his loyal accomplice Madam Cadence. She remembered being highly impressed with his willingness to participate and support the wildly imaginative games the kids had created. He even contributed his own fun ideas.

 

“That’s great Caddie.” Her eyes were bright, “He seems like a good man from what I hear from the kids.”

Cadence nodded, “He even took us out for ice cream after, the kids loved him.” She hesitated, “I just don’t want to get too involved, or have Kay or Jaydon get attached to him... you know, in case nothing happens.”

“You worry too much sis! Have fun, enjoy life. I know the kids want you to be happy just as much as you want them to.”

“I know.” She grinned, “and I got to see him shirtless, let me tell you...” she hung her head back, “that body could make a girl commit murder.”

Genevieve shrieked, “You dog! When do I get to meet this stud?”

“He’s going to come over for dinner next week after Jaydon’s game, I want you to come too.”

“Are you sure you want me intruding on your little date?”

Cadence rolled her eyes, “Oh please, at my age with two kids, alone time is pretty much nonexistent.”

“In that case I’d love to come, have to scope him out, make sure he’s good enough for my big sis.” She winked at her, “I’ll bring dessert.”

“Sounds great.”

Cadence pushed back from the table and got to her feet, “I’ll go check on the laundry.”

 

She went out into the living room where both her kids lay on the carpet flat on their stomachs intently watching TV. Sylvester was inching a homemade pole made up of a dozen or so straws taped together towards Tweetie’s bird cage.

“Are you guys hungry?”

Jaydon snapped his head around to face her, “I’m starving!”

“What about you Kay?”

Kaylie shrugged, “What are we having?”

“I don’t know  mon petite chou. What would you like?”

“Anything!” Jaydon said eagerly, Kaylie shrugged again.

“Alright, I’ll see what Aunt Gennie has.”

 

Cadence continued on to the basement door and made her way down to the laundry room. The basement was carpeted and warm, the dehumidifier kept everything dry and a wooden bowl of red and purple popery kept everything smelling fresh. There was one room down in the basement; Genevieve used it as her office, keeping all her current work files and profiles organized in large file cabinets. A computer sat on the small table with a pale lamp off to the right of it. Cadence moved past the office to the laundry area, separated off by two, thin blue curtains which were now pulled back and fastened to hooks on either side of the walls.

 

The washer and dryer had both stopped and Cadence grabbed her laundry basket from one of the four shelves fastened to the wall beside the machines and unloaded the dryer. She switched over the wet clothing, dumped in some soap and started the machine again, picking up the full basket and lugging it up the carpeted stairs.

 

She walked back through the living room to head into the kitchen again when Kaylie saw her and leapt to her feet.

“Let me fold that mom.” She said, taking the basket from her mother, “I told you I would do all the chores.” She smiled, showing off her cute little dimples.

Cadence patted her on the head, “Thanks darling.” And leaned down to kiss her forehead, “You’re too good.”

 

Genevieve was rummaging through the cupboards when Cadence went back in.

“How’d you pull that one off?” She asked without turning around.

“Pull what off?”

“Kaylie’s doing all the chores?”

Cadence picked up the tea mugs off of the table and put them in the sink, “They both have a field trip coming up. Science exhibit.”

Genevieve nodded with understanding, “That girl would do anything for science.”

“Yeah.” Cadence mumbled, “seventy bucks for both of them, she’s lucky I love her so much.” She joked.

Genevieve pulled a pot out of a lower cupboard, “I can lend you the money if you’re short.”

Cadence leaned against the counter, “I would never ask of that.”

“I know. That’s why I am offering. When is the money due?”

“Thursday.”

“No problem.”

“I can pay you back.”

Genevieve turned and smiled, “I know.” She turned on the stove. “Spaghetti okay?”

“Perfect.”

 

 

 

                                   ***

 

 

 

The two little girls would always race to their father’s chair; a ripped and torn, ugly green and yellow striped polyester chair that sat in the corner of the small townhouse.  The chair chaffed their skin and made them itch terribly but it was their father’s, a symbol of the man they adored and so they loved it. Their mother was always out. Father routinely pretended it didn’t bother him; that she was just working late and not out with that police officer she had taken a liking to. The two girls didn’t mind the absence of the woman, even when she had been around she wasn’t really there. She always seemed bored.

 

Today the girl’s raced to their father’s chair after a day off at school, giggling as they both bounded onto the seat, bumping their heads.

Jonah peeked his head around the corner from the kitchen and smiled, “Hello girls.”

“Hi dad!” They both said in chorus. They managed to squeeze their bottoms into the chair side by side.

“I have a little treat for my two favourite people.” He winked at them as their eyes widened with excitement.

“What is it?”

He pulled his hands out from behind the wall; there was a small chunk of fudge in each of them. He went to the girls and handed them each a piece, patting them on the heads as they bit into them eagerly.

“Thanks dad.” They rarely got sugary treats, they were an unnecessary expense and unhealthy; rotting teeth and putting junk in their systems. Jonah believed in eating organically.

“You’re welcome.” He leaned down and kissed each child, they smiled those large, goofy grins. The youngest was missing a top tooth. “How was school?”

“Oh! Today Mr. Greenemen told us to paint ourselves as a fruit!” The oldest daughter began excitedly, “And then Tony Frader- he’s so dumb-“

Jonah put his hand up to stop her, “Caddie, we don’t call other people names.”

She blushed, “Sorry dad he just makes me so mad, today he-“

 

The front door closed with a hard thump and the three of them immediately stopped and turned their eyes to the narrow hallway that lead to the entrance. Anna appeared in the living room, her nose and cheeks glowing from the cool air outside.

 

“Bonjour mama.” The youngest greeted first.

“Bonjour Genevieve. Cadence.” She looked at their father the entire time, never wavering her gaze and neither did he.

“How was... work?” He spoke with a hint of resentment.

Her expression was flat, unamused, “stimulating.”

He winced, “girls, can you go play in your room for an hour sil’vu plais? You can take your fudge with you.”

Anna raised a brow curiously, “fudge? What’s the occasion?”

“No occasion.”

She nodded condescendingly, “I see. Mr. organic breaks his own rules.”

He set his jaw, “Because they’re wonderful kid’s that’s why. You would know that if you were ever home instead of-“ He glanced sideways, “girl’s, please.”

 

They took the hint and quickly scattered off around the corner, but not to their bedroom. They sat crouched behind the wall listening. Genevieve went to speak but Caddie hastily hushed her. There was silence for a long time, accompanied by thick layers of tension.

 

            “We both know what’s going on.” Anna finally spoke.

            “We do.”

            “And we both know something has to change.”

            “I agree.” Their father’s voice was flat.

            “I’m sorry, but I have to leave. I can’t do this anymore.”

 

            More silence filled the room. “Why?”

            Anna continued to stare, “I’m moving in with Parker.”

            Jonah swallowed hard, he could feel the heat rising in his face. “Why?”

            Anna sighed exasperated, “What do you mean why? You can’t stand there and tell me you feel the same as when we got married.”

            “No. That would be a lie.” He inhaled deeply, “I feel lost now, betrayed. I do still love you... but I hate you more. ”

            She shook her head, “Jonah give it a rest, I don’t want to stand here and talk feelings for three hours. I am leaving. I’m going to pack my things, get in my car-“

“Our car.”

She smiled, “Not anymore.”

 

He said nothing. Just stared and realised how serious she was. “Fine. But you explain to our daughter’s why you had to go sleep around.”

“Oh come on. I don’t feel happy Jonah, haven’t for a long time. I feel... unfulfilled.” She went back into the hallway, dragging a couple of boxes back in with her. “Family life was never for me, you know that.”

Jonah eyed the empty boxes, boxes that would soon contain his wife’s life. “Then why did you start one.” His eyes were hard, his gaze boring into hers.

She slapped her hands to her sides frustrated, “Really?”

“Yes really. Family life was never for you? Are kidding me!”

“Stop being so dramatic.”

“Dramat-“ He laughed sardonically. “Can you hear yourself Anna? What were the last seven years then huh?”

She began filling a box with the candles that were supposed to stand on the TV mantle. “I never loved the kids.”

 

Her words were like a slap in the face to Jonah, a dagger in the heart to the little girls who remained crouched listening.

 

“How can you even say that?” Jonah’s voice cracked, tears filled his eyes waiting for him to blink them free.

“They were for you.” She said matter of factly.

“For me? What does that even mean?” His voice was rising in anger, the hatred bubbling through his veins.

She stopped packing and turned to him, “You’re the family man. You’re the one who always wanted a traditional life, to settle down, to do everything by the books like every ideal person is supposed to. But that’s not me. I don’t want to settle down; I don’t want to give up my freedom, my life. The kids were for you Jonah.”

 

Genevieve bolted from their hiding spot and rushed straight to their bedroom where she sobbed silently to herself. Cadence remained behind the wall; she didn’t know what to feel. Didn’t know what to think. Her mother never loved her, never wanted her. She didn’t cry although she felt she should, she didn’t scream although she really wanted to. The truth was, she didn’t really love her mother either and somewhere deep down she had always known Anna didn’t want her. Since the moment of her birth this day had been brewing, stirring, building momentum. She had seen it in her mother’s eyes when Genevieve was born; she had felt the coldness of her false hugs and emotionless kisses.

 

Cadence wasn’t sad. Whatever love her mother had not shared, her father had more than made up for. Her father who was crying, as was her little sister. No, sad was not something she felt. But angry, irate, furious... that was something she could feel very clearly. She stood up straight and stepped out into the living room from behind that wall balling her fists tight at her sides and-

 

“Mom!” Cadence snapped her eyes open but could only see black, she rubbed at her eyes which she was surprised to find damp.

“Mom, wake up.”

“Kay? What is it sweetie, turn on the light so I can see.”

“It won’t turn on.”

Cadence rolled over, “Is the light bulb out? I can change it tomorrow honey, go back to sleep.”

Kaylie was now annoyed, “I’m not dumb. None of the lights will turn on.”

Cadence sat upright in bed, fully awake. “What? Are you sure?”

“Yes, I wanted a drink. Nothing’s on. And your alarm clock is off... so is the microwave.”

Cadence jumped out of bed and immediately looked to the clock that usually flashed bright green numbers at her. It was off. She hurried out of her bedroom and went into the living room where the only window that overlooked the street was. She crossed her fingers, hoping the power was out everywhere. She peered out the window and wanted to cry, the street lamps were on as were a few motion detector lights set on the porches of some of the houses lining the opposite side of the street.

 

“What is it mom?”

Cadence rest her head against the window pane and sighed. “Nothing sweetie, go back to bed, I’ll get you a drink.” Stress rose into her shoulders and clawed its way up her neck. Damn power company.



© 2011 Emily Quinn


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

255 Views
Added on May 12, 2011
Last Updated on May 12, 2011


Author

Emily Quinn
Emily Quinn

Canada



About
Well. . . it's now 2020. I used to be an extremely active member here on Writerscafe before 3 University degrees, a kid and life happened. I haven't been active on this site in eight years but am now.. more..

Writing