the coldest part of the zoo undergoes mobile warming

the coldest part of the zoo undergoes mobile warming

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto

the coldest part of the zoo undergoes mobile warming

 

 

archives

of past lovers

Oldsmobile's comfortable back seat trilogies

 

different co-stars,

but the lips, the hands, the burning skin

much being similar history

 

i never was much on anthropology 

in school,

but away from the desks, the cafeterias

and the penguins smashing fingers with rulers

it's an intriguing subject

 

especially when the fingers started 

moving again

and the windows became unclear lines of morality.

 

 

erin-cilberto

1/20/19

© 2019 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm glad I went to a public school, those Christian schools were too regimental for me, somewhat based around cruelty and there was an underbelly of paedophilia which has only come to the surface now from those Catholic schools. Nice writing J as always a pleasure to read and ponder on.

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

thank you for your words, andrew,
j.
I remember my mother talking about her catholic school stories, "the penguins smashing fingers with rulers". Ouch!! My mouth must have dropped to the floor every time. It was usually paired up with the fact that they had to walk to school in 20 feet of snow just to find out schools were closed. Lol, mind you I never fogged up any windows! ; ) Hey, my uncle was on the police force, so I pretty much grew up right as rain. ...and hesitant to do otherwise!

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

never fogged up any windows? the nuns would warn you not to fib, Kelly...:)
Kelly Scheppers

5 Years Ago

Lol, shhhh!
Hmmm...Had a few run-ins with the penguins myself...which was difficult for a protestant boy.
I do recall many a warm night parked along the Detroit River watching the 'submarine races'...can never remember who won.


Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

ah yes...i think both often won...thank you for your thoughts, Ted,
j.
Good to see new poetry from you. Makes me think of how some of the wildest people I know come from Christian schools.


Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

thank you for your words, Dale,
j.
ahahahaha ..love this jacob! great fun read for me ... i remember way back when (in my 60s;) some fogged windows and the lights of a patrol car just missing the action ... a zoo indeed! in a very good sense says i .. funny how, truly way back when, ... the penguin quickly became extinct in the male of the species and did far too well in the female ... things have changed tho haven't they jacob ... when my kids were in school i worried just as much about me daughters "protection" as i did me sons ... :{ fun read ... lots of memories .. the Oldsmobile was my Da's #1 choice ... :) lucky me :)))))))))))
E.

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

yes, my dad too...on the Oldsmobubbles...

thanks for sharing...appreciate your commen.. read more
In our young days, Jacob, the penguins, WERE the rulers. But corporal punishment was only for the Headmaster to administer. Psychological sadism was the mode of these "underlings", yet somehow, the system worked. Look at how we "prospered".
But I have to agree, anthropology certainly helped :-)
N


Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

i agree with all you said, Norman...we needed the discipline...didn't we?
We got full on swats on the behinds and I laughed in their face, until the time I left a book of matches in my back pocket. Now that literally burned my but. The class fell out of their seats laughing and the teacher got worried. I made no issue of it, because my dad was much harsher than any teacher. I was 15. Left school that day at lunch and hitched from Ohio to California. The cops caught me in Indiana. Things went downhill from there. My own fault. I had to grow up fast and fight to stay alive. At 17, moved into a hippy commune with 19 girls and two other guys. Learned more there than in school. The prodigal son.

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

yes, i often think i learned more out of school than in..thank you for sharing your story, Valormore.. read more
Oh my you have taken me on a trip. Back seats of cars, fumbling early romance. And then those penguins with their rulers. We certainly had enough of them, but me being a goodey two shoes only saw it, did not suffer the pain. My brother frequently did. A lifetime ago. Thank you Jacob.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

Thanks for sharing...your brother and i both had the sore knuckles..
j.
Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

I can remember the sting in his eyes, though he never complained of the hurt. Miss him so much.
Gotta hate a penguin with a ruler. Met a couple. Came home from math with sore knuckles.

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

thank you for sharing, Lyn...those were the days...or were they?
Lyn Anderson

5 Years Ago

Yeah, exactly. Nostalgia is relative.
you know Jacob, perhaps I am just being nostalgic, but I seem to remember that there was much more 'morality' found in the back seat of that Oldsmobile, than could be found in any of those penguins and their rulers or rules... they had no idea what love was.. neither did we, but we sure wanted to find out... ;0)

anthropology rules... er… I mean.... loved your poem Jacob... ;0)

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

yes we surely did want to find out...

thank you, Curt,
j.
Patricia Wedel

5 Years Ago

We have an internal source of judgement that knows what is natural and good, and not to be misunders.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

311 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 21, 2019
Last Updated on January 21, 2019

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..