Cracked Fairy Wings

Cracked Fairy Wings

A Story by Tallulah
"

She was suppose to be the end.....

"

I am prophesized to be the end. They told me I was a sign, that I was the reasean the end is coming.

Arielle sat on her mushroom and watched the twinkling stars. She was crying. She had been waiting for a long time, on this very same mushroom, for her molt. The molt where her wings would be healed, but they never were.

She reached up and touched her wings. She traced the cracks in them, tonight, she knew, would be her last night. She wiped her tears, and stood. If this was going to be her last night, she was going to fly.

The wind blew and rustled her wings. She watched as a cracked piece of her wing fell to the ground. She cautiously flapped her wings, and her feet gently lifted off the ground. She flapped harder and flew into the air, feeling the wind push her small fairy body through the sky. She was being thanked, being rewarded for accepting this as the end.

She could feel her wings deteriorating behind her, and fear gripped her heart.

When the fairy's wings begin to crack, the end is near."

The wind blew gently, calming Arielle, telling her to be at peace, to accept the end. Arielle closed her eyes, and became one with the wind. The only reminder of her disappearing wings was the fact she kept sinking lower to the ground.

Her foot was touching the ground now. One last mighty blast of the wind and she fell. The end was here. The end the fairies feared so much was here.

-----

Arielle waited a few moments for the world to come crashing down. For her to explode and to end all of the fairy race. Slowly she opened her eyes.

The world, which was once so large, was now so tiny. The flowers that sat at her feet, once so large and sturdy, were now so small, dainty and fragile. The mushroom, that was once Arielle's spot of shame, was now only a small dot. Arielle lifted her bare foot and squashed the mushroom into nothing, but a puddle on the ground. The trees were still taller then her though, the grass was still as green and soft, and the sky was just as blue. Arielle turned to look at where her wings once were. They were gone covered by pale flesh. Arielle smiled.

Sometimes the end seems like the end, but in reality the end is only the beginning.

Her mother had told her that before they dragged Arielle off to the spot where she stood now. Arielle's smile grew wider. She wasn't the end of the fairy race, but she was the beginning of a new one. She looked at her wingless back. She would be elf, and those who followed after her would be elf as well. She wasn't sure why, but that's what it would be, it just seemed right. She walked away to her journey of being the beginning.

© 2009 Tallulah


Author's Note

Tallulah
So what you guys think? It's not my favorite but I still kinda like it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like this a lot. Kind of a different take on the caterpillar who thinks he's dying in the cocoon. Very well done.

cheers.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I liked it! Very traditional concept applied to a very descriptive image. What's not to like? I like the beginning. Nothing quite snares a reader like vivid imagery.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I like it. it's a very different idea. i think it is cool that she is told that she is suppose to be the end, but is actually the beginning. i like the idea. it very well written ^^

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 19, 2009

Author

Tallulah
Tallulah

NY



About
Hi! My name's Tallulah! I'm a 16 year old girl. There's not much to say about me. I like to write, draw, read and run. I love music and am trying to learn to play the guitar....failing at it though. I.. more..

Writing