Chapter Four

Chapter Four

A Chapter by firabelle

After speeding through downtown Dublin, I pulled up to my friend’s house.

If you could call it that.

I mean, it’s more of a mausoleum than anything. I always thought that the owners of such opulent mansions were a little dead inside. There is no other excuse that I can think of  for living in such beauty and ease while watching others suffer for a lack of the same. Every time I come, I feel like retching into my mouth a little and have done so on more than one or two occasions. This time, I managed to swallow the urge, but it was a close call. It must have been the adrenaline surging through me that helped me out.

I pulled up to the bike stand Adda’s mother had insisted on gifting to me for when I came over. It was the same color as Blue because they had come together.

(At least they were generous to their friends.)

I jumped off the bike, nearly tipping it over in my rush to get to the front door. I sprinted up the steps and was about to use the triad-lion knocker when one of the butlers pulled open the door for me. I tried to keep their names and faces straight, but this one was new.

“Ah, Miss Lyra, come in. Miss Adda is waiting for you-”

“In the blue drawing room. Yes, she sent me a message telling me where to meet her. Thank you, and sorry for interrupting you,” I rushed out as I grabbed the gilded banister and speeded up the stairs.

“May I take your bag, Miss Lyra?” Inquired the butler politely.

“No thanks, sir!” I half-shouted over my shoulder. No way in hell I was leaving Concordia, (my very much beloved guitar), with someone else. I’m sure the butler was trustworthy, but I still liked to keep her close by.

I twisted through the hallways, bedecked by portraits, fancy wallpapers, and tables housing fresh vases of flowers. The last time anyone had called an India Flower, (as I was new to this group of girls), it was supposed to be one of the most memorable days of any of their lives. Or so they said- I still didn’t trust them entirely, but I didn’t exactly distrust them at the same time. I had an insufficient amount data, some would say.

So, this may be them pranking me to the max like one of those teen-girl-angst novels that all of them enjoyed, or something earth-shatteringly important. (By their standards, at the very least.)

I mounted another set of stairs that lead to a pair of grand, pearly doors. As I bent over to catch my breath, I used the dove-wing knockers to pound on the door. “Adda, it’s me! I got your message!”

Immediately, the doors swung open, and I stood up to the best of my abilities. Yes, I was still in pretty damn good shape, but biking two miles and sprinting what had to be at least two hundred feet after biking all the way from home to the gardens was still a lot for me. Adda smiled wide, showing off her perfect teeth. “You’re here! Oh, do come in.”

“What’s so urgent?” I asked impatiently. “Look, I rushed all the way to town from the Memorial Gardens, and-”I paused, realizing she should be in school. “Why aren’t you in school?”

“I just got home, silly,” she said obnoxiously. “Now come on! We have our work cut out for us!” Without waiting for me to follow, she turned around and marched into her room.

I followed her, exasperated and realizing I had probably come for what would be a huge waste of time. “Tell me I’m here for a good reason. Wasn’t ‘India Flower, Blue Leaves’ supposed to mean that something big is going on, and gravely important?” I closed the door behind me gently. No use in stirring up trouble in the house of another family over what was probably nothing.

“Oh! Yes, there is.” She hurried into her drawing room. “The whole clique is here, Darling. Come along, we have important matters to discuss.” Bard flew out from behind Adda and onto my shoulder.

“What. Is. Going. On?!” I asked impatiently as I followed her into the drawing-room. (Not like an artist drawing room; it’s more like a sitting room, except for entertaining guests. Derived from withdrawing room, in the 16th century.)

Felicity, Eloise, and Penelope were seated on stuffed, navy blue and gold upholstered chairs, all drinking tea out of dainty little tea cups that had dainty little flowers, no doubt painted using dainty little paint brushes.

Eloise looked up from her tea to beam at me. “Oh, good you’re here! We can finally begin.”

I turned to Adda. “Begin what? I got an urgent, coded message that I thought meant to come immediately because something big, scary, and important was going on that needed my full attention. Clovis is probably worried sick, and Da would be too if he didn’t think that I could take care of myself in a scuffle. I was having a perfectly enjoyable afternoon at the Memorial Gardens while reminiscing on some important matters with a close friend. Namely Clovis, whom I know you all think to be under yourselves, but-”

Eloise set down her cup, got up and grabbed me by the shoulders, silencing my furious tirade.

“I was worried.” I finished indignantly.

“I can see that, dear, and I wish Adda hadn’t sent you that message, but we’re all fine- just sit down and we’ll explain over some tea. Relax, dear, it’s only good news.” She steered me to the couch as if I would explode if she touched me too roughly.

“Sugar?” asked Adda meekly.

“No, you know I like my tea black. What the bloody hell is going on?” I growled. “I haven’t been able to get a straight answer from anyone, and I would really like to know why I’m here. Adda, you know I hate coming here, even though you may not understand my reasoning, and I would like to know why I have to be here. Straight answers, no fluff. Got it?” I finished sharply. My bullshit tolerance was low, compared to my high-society friends.

Silence hung thick in the room, accented by my anger and their fear.

“Anyone? Bueller?” I asked sarcastically. I sipped my tea, then set it down on the table next to my chair. I crossed my legs and my arms while painting a nasty smile on my face. “Now that I’m here, you may as well start talking.”

Penelope, the least timid out of the four, (because, if I was to be honest, none of them could shine a light to my intensity), cleared her throat. “Follow me to the closet, Stella. It’s a surprise, and your Da knows that you’re here. This Clovis fellow, on the other hand, we know nothing about. Tell me, before I show you, is he handsome?”

“He’s sixty-five.”

She nodded. “Ah. Well, come along.” Penelope got up and went to an extra closet, and I followed closely.

“I hope you like it,” gushed Felicity.

I ignored her pointedly, and she sipped her tea silently.

Penelope smiled wide at me, then opened the closet to reveal a stunning ballgown of dark blue, with silver embroideries. It was strapless, beautiful, and most likely worth a fortune.

           




My mouth hung open, my irritation dissipated. I turned around. “I hope you got this dress in order for me to actually do something, otherwise, it’ll sit in the back of the closet for the rest of eternity,” I deadpanned.

Felicity grinned wider than the Cheshire cat himself. “Oh, we’re going to something, all right.”

I got a sinking feeling in my stomach. “Uh, what?” I asked, turning towards them.

Eloise started squealing next to me. “We’re going to the Gregorian’s annual charity ball!”

“What?!?” I started panicking. The Gregorian’s Charity Ball? That meant a flight to London, and that meant money, which is something we didn’t have a lot of. Plus, it was the most prestigious ball in London, and I was a lowly commoner, the child of a gardener and librarian.

“Yes!” Exclaimed Adda, glad to be resolved of fault. “I’m allowed to bring a plus one, and we all thought that you could use some high-society. I mean, not like that. Just that you deserve to go to the ball.” She winced as soon as she said that. “Not like that-”

I cut her off, laughing hysterically. “I know what you mean, Adda. And yes, I’d be honored to go. Once Da approves,” I added after a small pause. If he would approve.

The butler chose that moment to knock on the door. “Miss Lyra, your father is here demanding your presence.”

I sighed. “I’m coming.”

“Oh, but why!” exclaimed Felicity.

“Reasons. Bard?” I called. The bird landed on my shoulder and latched on. “See you guys later. I’ll ask Da when I see him.” I turned around and followed the butler that I had been so rude to during my entrance to my imminent doom. I hadn’t even had time to put Concordia down, and now I was leaving. I hadn’t even been here for ten minutes if that.

When I reached Da in the main foyer, (yes, there were more than one or two), I spread my hands maniacally. What the hell?! I signed furiously at him.

Who’s the one who snuck out of bed?

Because I’m fine! Didn’t you see my note?

Yes, I did.

I made a wide sweep of my hands, as if to say ‘and?’. Whatever. Adda, Felicity, Eloise, and Penelope want me to go to the Gregorian’s annual ball. Can I go? They have the cost covered, as well as the dress. I made puppy eyes at him.

He looked at the butler, then back at me. I want to talk to the parents and your friends. Tell him that, please. The ‘he’ was aimed towards the butler.

I turned to the butler. “Excuse me, sir, would you mind getting Mr. and Mrs.Bellair? My father would like to speak to them about an important matter. Thank you.”

He nodded. “Of course, Miss Lyra. Can your father speak, or?...”

“He’s deaf,” I explained hastily. “I can translate.”

The butler nodded all day. Christ, this guy was like a bobblehead; he could nod all day long. Although, considering he was in charge, or at least had some responsibility in making sure the Bellair household ran smoothly, he probably nodded all day… “Of course, Miss Lyra. Right this way, if you please.” He padded down another hallway that led off from the main foyer silently, and I motioned to Da to follow.



© 2016 firabelle


Author's Note

firabelle
Any and all reviews, yet again, are welcome! (Even if you absolutely hate it. After all, opinions are a bit like butt-holes; everyone's got one.) As always, I'd appreciate it if you shared my little, insignificant story with someone.

Happy reading, and your's truly,
Firabelle

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good photos gave strength to the tale. I like the new locations and the discussion in the chapter. The story line is getting good and the ending left the reader with thoughts and a mystery. Thank you for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 19, 2016
Last Updated on July 15, 2016


Author

firabelle
firabelle

Ann Arbor, , MI



About
I'ma high school student who loves shakespeare, classics, and fantasy/fiction, as well as writing. I'm looking to get my writing out there, and I thought this was the best place for it! more..

Writing
Anything Anything

A Poem by firabelle


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by firabelle