Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

A Chapter by firabelle

An angry sob-screech rose from my throat and I tried to claw either of the two men holding me captive. Tam’s hand was lifted from my throat, so this time I could actually make some noise. “Let. Me. Go!”

An old woman looked at Tam as if to say ‘really, man?’ “You couldn’t have just made her sleep?”

“I wanted her to at least trust us,” he said indignantly.

“Well, it’s a little late for that, don’t you think? And would someone get this girl out of Tam’s and Lucas’s grip before she tears them apart?”

Someone stepped forward and plucked me off of the ground. I screamed again, wriggling furiously. No way in hell I was going down without a fight, even if I didn’t know what was going on.

Tam looked to Lucas. “Would you fly her up to the cells? I need to organize a few things with them.”

Flying? Oh, no way in hell I was having any part in that. I tried to kick harder, and Lucas looked down at me, amused.

“Could you just put her to sleep, for a bit? I really don’t want to drop her.”

I turned around, alarmed at Lucas’s words. “Drop me?!” I squealed. “What the hell? Where could you be tak-”

Tam quickly walked over and put his baseball glove of a hand over my throat, silencing me. I shot a glare that could kill, and he just smiled warmly. “There. We probably shouldn’t fly her up there, and I’m still unwilling to put her out.”

“So what do you suggest?” he asked incredulously. “It’s not like we could carry her.”

Tam tilted his head sarcastically. “Actually, that’s what I was thinking. It shouldn’t be too hard, once we get her out of that dress…”

“You’re not serious, Tam. Come on, stop kidding around. Put her out, and we’ll be on our way.”

Tam didn’t say anything for a moment, instead choosing to raise his eyebrows and give him a satirical smile. “Oh, I’m completely serious. Don’t worry, though; since you’re being such a baby, I’m sure I can carry her up myself. She looks like a feather weight. Unless you want me to get your older brother in rank, of course.”

I couldn’t see Lucas’s face, but I imagined that he blanched visibly during his prolonged silence.

“Good, then it’s settled. Hand her over and I’ll show her to her rooms.”

Lucas let go of me to give me to Tam, and I made a break for it.

“S**t!” barked Lucas, trying to grab a hold of me before I could get too far away. I didn’t make a sound this time, but I kicked and clawed and punched with all of my might. I wasn’t one to give in without going down swinging.

“Herd her!” screamed the dark-haired woman.

I didn’t look back as I ran through the empty doorway, dodging the chairs around the hollowed out round-table. I looked both ways, and nobody was coming in either direction. As I twisted left, I could hear various voices swearing at different pitches.

The walls were bare stone, with the occasional tapestry dotting the walls as I zoomed by as best as I could in a ballgown. I picked hallways at random, trying to throw off the people that chased me, as well as the few that I met in the halls. From what I saw, I wasn’t in Europe, unless this was some kooky medieval reenactment castle. Everyone wore something that seemed to be straight out of a fairytale or normal life; it just depended on the person.

I turned for what seemed like the billionth time, this time into what seemed like a drawing room, similar to what Adda had. The thought of her seared my heart, emboldening me to travel farther.

That is, until the door slammed shut behind me. The noise startled me so much that I jumped and turned around. I heard a lock click, and I knew I was alone. So that was what the dark-haired chick with glasses had said as I had scrambled from the room.

I ran up to the door, banging on it like an addict seeking their daily juice. “Open up! Come on!” I howled desperately, pounding my fists against the solid oak. After a prolific silence, I started sobbing. Now I’d done it! I’d made them think that I was a woman possessed, and then they locked me up like a crazed serial killer. Now, there was next to no chance to get back home.

I slumped against the door and thumped the door weakly, sobbing even more loudly. My hair brushed my cheeks and stuck to my cheeks, giving me a veil of black hair. After forever and a day, I curled up on the ground, leaning on the door. The stream of water pouring out of my eyes eventually dried, but I remained where I was, sniffling quietly. The weight of my situation heaved itself onto my shoulders, threatening to make me start keening again.

Instead, I chose to lift my tear-rimmed eyes to the room that I was in. There was a door on the other side of the room, leading to who knew what. The door behind me was pointed towards the top, and curved down to make a carrot-like shape. The walls looked to be made of tree and vine-flowers. I rose to my feet slowly, slipping off my shoes as I went. Since I was locked in here, I figured that I wouldn’t need them anytime soon.

The floor was made of dark wood, possibly maple or chestnut, and creaked ever so slightly as I traipsed towards the door on the other side of the room. My heart was beating on my ribs to be let out, just as I had done to the door only a few moments ago. My hand rested on the bronzed knob, and twisted it after considering for a moment.



It took my breath away on sight. The ceiling was made to look like a sky full of stars, minus the heinous light pollution that we pushed onto the Earth because of our fear of what awaits us in the dark. I forgot myself in the twisting leaves and flowers, the constellations, and the rich detail, spinning around, trying to catch all of the detail. There was no bed in sight, but I’d figure that whole thing out later. As I spun, I noticed a set of french doors, and another that was identical to the one that led to the drawing room and bedroom. I tried the french door, and it opened with surprising ease.

I hadn’t been expecting it to open, so I nearly fell against the door. Before I passed the threshold, I slipped off one of my shoes and shoved it under the door, effectively jamming it in place. The night was chilly, and I wasn’t taking that risk again.

I would’ve been happy to have been locked out after I had laid eyes on the view.

All I could see was the broadest expanse of trees I had ever seen, stretching on far beyond the horizon, and a sky of stars that took my breath away. They glittered like rubies, sapphires, and diamonds strewn about glittery cosmic tulle. I came forward, and my hands rested on the cool railing. The wind brushed my skin, causing goosebumps to rise from my skin.

Someone cleared their throat behind me quietly. I didn’t spin around; if someone was here to say something, they’d say it to my back. “You gonna stand there all night, princess? I’m here to get you out.”

I still didn’t turn. I scoffed. “Really,” I said, drained of patience, caring, rage, sadness. All of it.

“Really. Unless you want to stay up here, all alone.” He sounded cocky as hell, which, oddly, made me like him.

“Where are you going to take me? How do I know you’re not going to kill me or do worse?” I asked boldly. May as well, right? I didn’t really have anything else to lose at that moment in time, except my life.

“Well, I’m the current Peter Pan. Name’s Zeke.”

That made me spin. He was tanned, and a few inches taller than I was. He had dark, shaggy, hair and a smile whiter than snow. His chocolate eyes glimmered with amusement.

“Current?” I stated. “I thought there was only one.”

He chuckled. “Well, this kind of involves you. That is, this whole god thing.”

“God?”

He shrugged. “I can’t explain; I’ll just tell you on the way. I got some better clothes for traveling laid out in the room.”

I meditated over his words. “Sounds sick- let’s do this.”

He chuckled, flashing his white teeth against his dark skin. “I like you- you’re not like all of the other prissies in this place.”

I pushed past him. “It’s not like I live here,” I said over my shoulder. I shut the door behind me before he could get back in. That was more like it.

The leaves had woven together to make a bed, on which a pair of what looked to be stiffer black pants, and a high- necked dark-blue training shirt with ¾ sleeves that allowed for freedom of movement. The outfit was completed with a silver-black-blue cloak, black ankle-high pointed-toe boots, and a belt with twin daggers.

Next to this was a black longbow, and a sheath loaded with matching arrows. I took one out and poked the end of the arrowhead. The cool stone pricked my skin lightly, bringing a ruby-colored orb to the surface.

“Those are sharp, ‘case you didn’t notice.” He had a noticeable american accent. “You know how to use those, kid?”

“Nope. How did you get in here, anyways?” I asked.

“I picked the lock- how else? Get out of that monkey suit and into something a tad bit easier to run in.”

“With you in here? That’s why I locked the door in the first place.”

He made a face. “I’ll be in the bathroom. After all, I’d hate to catch your cuties,” he added teasingly. I rolled my eyes  as he shut the door to what I presumed was the bathroom  silently. “Hey, how do you know your way around this place?” I asked.

“You’re not the only princess-in-waiting I’ve saved, you know.” his voice was muffled through the thick oak door.

I decided to not ask any more questions until I was out of here- he seemed pretty trustworthy, and I really didn’t like these guys. The dress came off and the clothes went on, save for the weapons; I didn’t have the first clue about putting sheaths and bows on. “Could you help me with the sharp, pointy things? I’m a city girl and don’t know how to work this stuff.”

He opened the door and walked over to me. As he leaned over me, I could smell the faint smells of night and tanned leather on his skin. It nearly made my knees weak until i got a hold of myself; my freedom was at risk, and I couldn’t afford to jeopardize whatever shot I had at getting it back by flirting with an ,(admittedly handsome and cute), stranger. Once he finished, which only took a few moments, he stepped away. “What now?”

He motioned for me to follow him to the balcony. I turned to him as soon as I saw the rope ladder that was strung to two of the vertical rails. “Oh no, no no no. No way, Jose, that’s so not happening. How far is it to the ground?” I hissed.

He shrugged. “Trust me on this one. You won’t go splat on the ground, if that’s what you’re worried about, mick.”

I raised an eyebrow. “Call me that again and I’ll try my best to kick your a*s into tomorrow.”
He pushed me off the edge of the balcony in response, a cheeky grin plastered on his face. “See ya, Mick!” he shouted.



© 2016 firabelle


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A very good chapter. The beginning was hectic and I liked the ending. I liked her attitude. To keep fighting and not giving-up. I liked the open ending. Made the reader wish to read more. Thank you for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A very good chapter. The beginning was hectic and I liked the ending. I liked her attitude. To keep fighting and not giving-up. I liked the open ending. Made the reader wish to read more. Thank you for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

184 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 20, 2016
Last Updated on May 20, 2016


Author

firabelle
firabelle

Ann Arbor, , MI



About
I'ma high school student who loves shakespeare, classics, and fantasy/fiction, as well as writing. I'm looking to get my writing out there, and I thought this was the best place for it! more..

Writing
Anything Anything

A Poem by firabelle


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by firabelle