Acceptance

Acceptance

A Story by Sarah
"

What she had feared came true, but she realized that not all is as it seems. All we really need is a little acceptance.

"

As my warm breath mingled with the cold winter air, I wondered how I ended up here. I knew I was different but was that a reason to fear me? I didn't quite know where to go, it was the holiday season but I felt anything but merry. I wandered the streets as I saw children with their faces glued to the glass of another store front that held the latest toy for this holiday season. I smiled at the poor man who had to stand in a Santa suit out side the warm building. I pulled my jacket closer and continued to walk, until I reached Starbucks. I knew my friend worked there and maybe she would hear me out, unlike my family had. I sat down at the bar and waited till she was done before she came over to me.

“Aubrey what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be home with your family?” She was in an over cheery mood.

“Got a minute to talk.” She noticed the serious look on my face and went to tell her boss that she was going on break. She grabbed two coffees and we went to sit in the back away from prying ears.

“So why are you here Aubrey?” She said sitting and handing me a coffee.

“I got kicked out.” Her face registered shock.

“Why? Your family loves you!” I looked down at the hot beverage that is warming my numb hands.

“They fear me. I told them I was Bi- sexual and you know how my grandma is about that, well not even my mother approved. You know my father can't give two s***s no matter what.” I felt a hand on my shoulder.

“That sucks, no matter how you are or who you like should stop them from loving you that is just wrong.” A lump rose in my throat.

“Nothing I can do about it now.” She sighed.

“Where are you going to go?” I shrugged meeting my friends cool green eyes.

“I don't know, I doubt my relationship is strong enough where she will want me around for the holidays.” She gave me a glare.

“How come I am finding out about this all now? Aren't I your best friend?” I smiled.

“I wanted to tell you, but I just couldn't.” She nodded understandingly.

“So who is that captured you?” I smiled when I thought about her, her long brown curly hair, soft facial features and those deep brown eyes.

“Earth to Aubrey.” I snapped out of my day dreaming and to my friends bemused smirk.

“Umm.... Sorry, any way it's Fiona.” She looked mildly shocked.

“Should of seen that coming... I mean I have class with you two. I noticed the flirt every now and then but thought nothing of it.” I smiled.

“Yeah we just got on good terms.”

“What do you mean good terms?” My smile faded. Fiona was miss popular but, she blatantly made it obvious she liked me. Well this day wasn't any different and when she finally said it and I said nothing we got into an argument...

It was third period, we were in chemistry. I had left for a break hating that I had to sit in one room for ninety minutes. I was walking around the block when I saw Fiona approach. I had begun to feel something for this beauty but pushed it off as nothing, not wanting to admit at what it was. My family would never approve as they feared those type of people.

“What Fi?” She smiled at me and I stopped my walk and leaned against the wall.

“Just wondering.”I gave me my sloppy side grin that I reserved for her.

“What could you possibly want to wander?” I said slyly.

“Well I have friend, I really like and well I was wondering if I should tell her.” I stood there shocked. She was totally straight was going out with Miles but that ended a few weeks back.

“H...Her?” I choked out. I wasn't expecting this, she was safe territory or so I thought.

“Yeah, I like you.” I just stood there with my mouth opening and closing like a fish. Till it dawned.

“Wow.. Its just that.” She began to walk away. I sighed and followed her.

“Fiona wait up.” I practically begged.

“No Aubrey, I’m done waiting. I have waited two years and I thought you were finally ready. But I guess I just wished a little to much.” She was livid and the gold specks in her eyes shone. She was beautiful.

“You didn't even give me a chance to explain.” I said, getting a bit angry.

“What is there to explain. You gave me your answer, you think of me as a friend and aren't like me.” She had tears filling her eyes. She just turned on her heel and walked away, I didn't follow. I ran my hand over my head and walked back to chem. When I sat down she didn't look at me.

“Can we talk about this?” I whispered. She just ignored me and continued to write on her notebook. I just leaned back and bit back the urge to scream out of frustration. How could the person I trusted the most, not even hear me out. Not even give me a chance to say that, for once I was scared by what I felt. Scared I would lose all I had...

“Remember when we stopped talking for those few days and I was a wreck?” She nodded finishing off her coffee.

“It was right after she told me she liked me, I just said wow and she walked away. She waited two years to tell me she liked me.” Shock played on my friends features.

“Wow, I never knew and we have been friends for years.” I shrugged.

“I was closer with her and blind to the fact she was falling for me.” I was disappointed I made her wait two years for me of all people.

She didn't show up at lunch and I began to understand she was avoiding me. I walked out not bothering to eat and went to the only other place I knew she would hide, our spot. It was a bit chilly so I grabbed my coat and walked out side into the woods in front of the school. She sat there with her sandwich in her hand. She heard me approach and she stood.

Stop. Just hear me out please.” I begged with my eyes, hoping that she wouldn't run.

You got one minute.” I sat down next to her.

Its not that I don't like you, I do a lot its just liking you could make me lose everything, and I’m not willing to lose everything.” She looked angry.

Oh so I am not worth your pride? Just great Aubrey, you are more of an a*s then I knew.” She stood.

They fear, hate people like us. I can't lose my family when there all I have.” I yelled at her.

So I am not good enough.” I sighed and turned around. Her hand was placed on my shoulder.

Its not a matter of yes or no, its if im willing to risk those who are close to me. Risk letting them tear me apart and letting someone in. You deserve so much more then I will ever be able to give you.” She gently turned me around.

You don't think I'm scared? I don't want to lose our friendship if this doesn't work out but, I can't deny how I feel.” I just pulled her close and held her in my arms.

I can't promise you much.” I felt her arms snake around me and hold me tight.

I don't need a promise just for you to try.” I sighed and kissed the top of her head.

I will try for you, Fi don't stop being my friend. These past few days were hell for me.” She nodded and kissed my cheek.

“Hey Aubrey I have to get back to work. You can wait here if you want and stay with me for tonight.” I nodded, I had no other option. I saw Sam get up and leave. She casted me one last fleeting look. I leaned back on the couch and figured I would fall asleep....

We were outside again, one week we had kept this under wrap. I couldn't help but smile at her. She just made me so happy, her hand found mine and I instantly felt warmer. I pulled her close and into my coat to keep both of us warm as the winter weather was on the horizon. The sun was high and a cardinal was eating the remnants of my sandwich a few feet away. We sat quietly and still as to not disturb the bird, just basking in the beauty it held. I pushed her hair off of her face and kissed her rosy cheek.

You know I like times like these where we just sit here quietly.” Her voice was smooth and soft, it made me sigh. My arms just rubbed her sides.

I know what you mean, I'm just glad something is going right. One day I will take you out on a proper date.” She smiled and we heard the bell.

I guess I can wait. But on that date I better get a proper kiss, no more of this cheek lovin.” I chuckled.

Maybe.” We walked back into the building and our separate ways.

“Aubrey... Wake up.” I jolted awake sensing someone in the room. I looked up at Fiona and fell out of the chair. She reached down and helped me up.

“What are you doing here?” I asked starting to panic.

“Calm down. I came here because I heard you needed a place to stay.” I sighed.

“I can't ask you to take me in. It is my own fault, I knew telling my family would be futile.” I sat down and she sat on my lap. Two months we had been together and I was falling in love deeper every day with her.

“You aren't I am offering.” She stated as if it was the most obvious thing.

“Alright.” She stood and I held her hand out for me. I took it and stood tall to her, she was only a few inches shorter then me. I held my other hand on her cheek and leaned down to kiss her fully on the lips. It had become a pleasurable past time of ours. I felt her hand sneak into my hair and her deepen the kiss. I pulled away and looked into her darkened brown eyes.

“I love you Fiona.” I meant it with every fiber in my being. She smiled and had tears fill her eyes.

“I love you too, you fool.” I smiled.

“Oh I am a fool?” She laughed and it made my heart skip a beat.

“Yes, I've waited two years to hear those words.” I picked her up and swung her around. My season begun to look more Merry. Christmas was coming up and I was going to be with a person who loved me and didn't judge me based on my status or who I love. We walked out hand in hand and I smiled at Sam and mouthed a 'thank you' because I knew it was her that called Fi.

Christmas came and went, I saw my mother a week after in the store. She just walked by as if I didn't exist. It had hurt that she just ignored her daughter, the one she begun to raise. I guess it didn't matter, since I had grabbed my stuff and moved out permanently. I was going back until she realized she was wrong. Even then I don't know if I would go back just to the fact of she stopped caring. I wasn't wrong to like another girl. It was society that had to get updated on the times and accept those who are 'different'. My mother will never know who I could become, and that I will not thank her for it. I had changed since I left, realized that family isn't the blood line you are born from but those who love you and don't judge on matters because they don't agree or they fear. Fear is the thing that tore us apart. Some times things are irreplaceable and we don't realize it till there gone. All I was looking for was acceptance.

© 2010 Sarah


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

362 Views
Added on December 5, 2010
Last Updated on December 7, 2010
Tags: Bi- Sexual, acceptance, family, love, friendship, hurt, comfort

Author

Sarah
Sarah

Canada



Writing
Moment. Moment.

A Poem by Sarah


... ...

A Poem by Sarah


Mistakes Mistakes

A Story by Sarah