Felix away

Felix away

A Story by Gastelum

Galahad ran through the hall to tell the professor of the scene in the market. He crashed through the doors of the classroom as professor Cosimo was deep into the first study of the season with his new pupils.
“Cosimo, come at once for your son Felix is proclaiming to denounce his worldly possessions and set the live stock of your estate free. He says all the animals on the sycamore cart he has brought to the marketplace are slaves!”
The professor slowly looked from the manuscripts of arithmetic and peered scornfully above his spectacles made of lead wire and uneven glass. He replied, “These matters I cannot tend to, Galahad.”
“Sir, he is giving away the family rabbits, cows and your prized chicken! This will be a hardship for your wife and daughter.” Galahad said as he tried to catch his breath.
Teacher, shall we perhaps resume our study tomorrow so that you may tend to this matter?” a voice from the group of pupils asked.
“You shall address me as ‘professor’, this is not optional, for I profess unto you all.” Cosimo said through the small opening between his mustache and beard.
The pupils responded in unison with flabbergasted tones.
And with that the professor sent Galahad away with a net made of old flag fabric, wool rope and worn burlap sacks.
Cosimo explained to Galahad that he is to capture Felix and keep him bound until the evening when Cosimo could return home to correct his son.
As Galahad arrived in the market he saw no cart full of rabbits or the professors prized chicken. The two cows that were pulling the cart were nowhere in sight and the cart was being pulled away from the marketplace by a lazy donkey tethered to an old man.
“You, with the sycamore cart. WAIT!” Galahad announced as he hurried up the hill that the old man and his donkey had just conquered.
“Old man, where is the gentleman that you have acquired this cart from?”
The old man licked his dry lips with his dry tongue and cleared his voice in preparation to speak, “The boy said he was going south to the Mediterranean to find kinder women folk to marry. The young one was telling of a dream in which Diotima of Mantinea spoke to him of gentle women in that region.”
The old man then walked off and the donkey followed but was not lead as there was plenty of slack in the tether.

© 2012 Gastelum


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

180 Views
Added on February 14, 2012
Last Updated on February 14, 2012

Author

Gastelum
Gastelum

Portland, OR



About
i write to expel feelings and vent thoughts. i am untrained, in every way possible, when it comes to writing. i am glad that i found WritersCafe because my writings have never truly been critiqued--.. more..

Writing
lovefish lovefish

A Story by Gastelum


in the barn in the barn

A Story by Gastelum


fail-safe fail-safe

A Story by Gastelum