That's neither important nor relevant.

That's neither important nor relevant.

A Story by Gary Johnsey
"

A short conversation between a policeman and a witness (me) that I made up while cutting grass, as I am likely to do also as I ride a bike.

"

Policeman: Did you see the whole thing?
Me: No, just the part where this big guy runs up behind another and hits him in the head with a bat.

Policeman: Were they arguing ?
Me: Well, the big guy called him a couple names and kicked him a few times but the little guy didn't respond. He just laid there.

Policeman: What was the little guy doing just before being ambushed?
Me: He was standing by the bus stop so was probably waiting on a bus, as he typically does at the end of the day.

Policeman: So, he was not from around here?
Me: I don't know if he was from here but he didn't recently live around here.

Policeman: Did you know him?
Me: No, but we spoke often, last time this morning.

Policeman: What did he say?
Me: He said, "That'll be $1.50".

Policeman: What?
Me: He use to run the news stand on the corner.

Policeman: How long ago was that?
Me: Just before he died.

Policeman: Are you always a smart a**?
Me: No, sometimes I sleep.

Policeman: Enough! Did you know the big guy?
Me: Not really but I know that he and his wife own the cafe behind us. He works somewhere else during the week but helps her on the weekends. I don't know their names but have had polite conversations with each in the cafe.

Policeman: Do you know where the big guy is now?
Me: No.

Policeman: Is there anything else you could tell me?
Me: Yes. When I was dating my wife we would sometimes sit on her front porch and talk about the most interesting things. Things like do people all see the same colors or just learn the names of what everybody calls the colors they see.

Policeman: I don't really see how that is important or relevant.
Me: It is both, and crucial to what happened here today. Those conversations occurred approximately the time my life pivoted and the path I was to follow headed off in an entirely different direction. Ever heard of the "butterfly effect"? In any event, if I had not been so impressed with my wife and married her I would not have moved here so she could be close to Broadway. Then I would surely not have observed that the little guy's wife looked a lot like the big guy's and would not have asked if they had married twins. Furthermore, if I had had any inkling that they had not, in fact, married twins I would definitely not have loaned the big guy my bat when he asked for it. Oh, that reminds me, you might go check on the big guy's wife. The last I saw of him he ran into the cafe with the bat.

© 2017 Gary Johnsey


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

71 Views
Added on July 6, 2017
Last Updated on July 7, 2017

Author

Gary Johnsey
Gary Johnsey

Hattiesburg, MS



About
Retired, recumbent (bicycle), make stuff up, and basically a smarty pants. more..