Hole

Hole

A Story by Godo Jobadze

The man was digging and simultaneously looking up into the sky. He seemed to be amazed with its endlessness and used to get oppressed due to its inaccessibility until he began digging. From the very outset, until he cast a single handful dry soil, he was already aware that only he was permitted to admire the sky, starts dreaming, make inexhaustible fantasy webs and multiple things, which couldn’t be touched and felt with its existence by his own skin. Even sometimes he felt that the sky with its existence was on his shoulders as an extra heavy burden, which could mess up in his mind multiple different questions with illusion, than they got tied up, became heavier and gradually made him bow his head down to the ground, where these not answered questions melted unobtrusively as a lamp of sugar and the man was still missing the lightness.

He could be bent with the body, light, tranquil kept digging the ground and he even didn’t look up into the sky to admire, but how?! When everyone is admiring the sky, or is trying to admire it. The stronger is the human who sees the sky most clearly and adequately he is less obsessed with the ground. He couldn’t even be simply admiring the sky and lay down charmed on the ground. This is simply a paradox created in mind. Who doesn’t dig, he can never see the sky, that is why everyone is digging, fussing and you can rarely find the one, who is appearing among the laborers, but lies on the earth aimlessly… they are permanently digging and attentively and diligently checking the hole radius as to constrict the sky vista while growing the depth. Most surprising fact is that the depth is respected in this world, they are striving towards mysterious core in the damp endlessness on the wet soil, but still they are not losing the sky vista to lift their heads up, make their bodies heavier with endless sky and then ponder the earth. Afterwards they get lighter and start everything from the very beginning… Meanwhile the time files in a jiffy, some of the diggers’ holes are getting deeper, some others’ are getting wider, the rest find their own life core and stop there, wash the hands -soiled and blackened with the ground and eventually begin quiet life, when they are never worried neither the long distance from the sky and nor the earth mystery.

But this man thinks… Depth or width? The Sky or the earth? But he has already taken decision whether very wide or very deep, or both? -No, he used to think about it in those days, he even resolved to fulfill his ideas, but the length and width was growing so sluggishly that the sky was already pelting innumerable questions to his mind, but the ground was moving towards the depth with double mystery, but as a rule he couldn’t have trouble to take such decision, because he had heard various examples about others who were digging individually and differently. Though there were those who had had shocking agility and distinguished strength in muscles. Such men had hardships to regulate the depth and the width, they were digging fast and narrowly and eventually their hole was destroyed and turned into the soil permanently. Also there were those who were digging very little into depth, they were admiring the sky incessantly and already adjusted to such labor, their hands weren’t already heavy at all. They explained their decision with the earth versatility. It was pathetically described how distinguished aroma the earth had which had been dug from the own hole even on a distance of an inch, which was perceived strangely and pleasantly by his rough black and under- sensible skin. Their words were exciting. They became charmed easily by themselves. Their holes were catchier for the viewers than those earnest diggers’ who rejected the sky and powerfully strove towards the depth. Human’s eye can visually evaluate the surface better than depth, cannot it?!

There even weren’t those who never particularly strove neither to the sky nor to the earth, they never mistook how to regulate and were digging only because that ever the time would be over and they would quit their work as well.

***

He was given beneficial suggestion from one man, who had already been digging for a very long time and his words could be trusted. He told him directly without equivoking : “You should think over what you want, the sky or the earth, or simply seeking for the mystery or incessant awaiting? The width will be noticed by everybody and your labor will be demonstrated. The depth will be respected, but nobody will be able to measure it! If you dig it correctly, you might even deserve to take a rest.”

This suggestion was sharper than the others could imagine, though it couldn’t manage to cut the confusion and vanish the questions. The man was attracted by the earth, got confused and amazed by the sky. Both feelings similarly had the roots in his body and he couldn’t decide which to pull out. These words glued together by the experience -were memorized literally by him, but he recently found them in a tiny corner of his dormant memory.

___________

After that a lot of things happened- good and bad. The inspirer’s wasn’t subsided, his work was unique. The hole didn’t seem to have an end…

Once he couldn’t climb up above the hole…

Only years’ later one strong man measured the depth of the hole and everybody understood what could be surprising to them. Until then nobody appeared who would be standing by the hole and would step beck confused and stunned. After that the man understood that this last and powerful suggestion was coming from the inspirer, but he still kept thinking, was digging the hole and simultaneously admiring the sky.

© 2014 Godo Jobadze


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

297 Views
Added on July 18, 2014
Last Updated on July 18, 2014
Tags: hole, man, digging, sky

Author

Godo Jobadze
Godo Jobadze

Surami, Georgia



Writing