Dirty Coffee Mug

Dirty Coffee Mug

A Story by gorillarock
"

An thinking exercise on personification

"
Do -you- have a dirty coffee mug? You know the one I'm talking about. The coffee mug that gets used so often that you only ever wash it "half-a*s"? The kind of mug that needs harsh chemicals to bring the stains back to 90% new?

Do you even put it away? Or is it left out for the world to see it's filth? Do you hide it? Is it in the coffee makers general area? Does it sit in other parts of your domicile?

Do you see this mug every day, under appreciating it's subtle presence? Can you see that mug standing on top of your counter, the counter that ~all other dishes~ are washed and put away?

Do you realize that this mug that I'm alluding to, against the odds of being put away, defies the norm and exists free? Do you agree? Do you think this mug is "free"? Or is yours exactly where you intend for it to be? ... or is it clearly out of place?

How do you see this mugs personification? Is it the greatest General who sits at the top of his armies? Is it the sweet "abuelita" (grandmother) who raised 13 children WELL? Is it the weathered traveler that's come in from a long trip? Is it the scummy skid mark kid who just got up from your couch? WHO IS THIS MUG TO YOU ?!?!?!

Do you admire this mug, on some level? As it sits there. Or do you hate it? What kind of values does this personified mug have?

How will you look at your coffee mug next time you see it? Do you want to wash it? Put it away? Do you change nothing about it's handling? Is it the first time you consider the existence of this mug as -more- unique than that existence of your fourth spoon? Does your fourth spoon suddenly mean something to you now???

~~~

I have one of these mugs. The one mug that sparkles through the rest, serves it's purpose, and wears it's stains. It's my prize fighter, the Gladiator Champion. It's coffee holding purpose is met fearlessly with endeavor and desire. It shines despite it's lack of polish, because it's the one mug of mine that does what its supposed to do best. The stains represent all the battles it's fought, adding value and honor to it's very existence.

I admire the tenacity of my coffee mug. I keep it by the coffee-maker because it's the right environment for it to serve best. It doesn't pretend to be perfect, and it doesn't brag or try too hard to catch your eye.... However, it's always ready when it's needed. It's always there. A loyal friend for the purpose of drinking coffee.

It's the one mug I will go out of my way to spend more time of my life holding. It's one of the few possessions that I have that will cause sorrow when it departs. The realization of it's character enriches my life, and I do my best to appreciate it's dutiful nature.

I give you thumbs up, Coffee Mug �'� ! May the arena be forever kind to you.

© 2018 gorillarock


Author's Note

gorillarock
What purposes do you share with others?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
Added on November 21, 2018
Last Updated on November 21, 2018
Tags: personification, coffee, poetry, poem, question, questions

Author

gorillarock
gorillarock

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada



About
I like words so much I started learning Spanish to learn more words! :) more..

Writing
No More No More

A Poem by gorillarock