Chapter 16

Chapter 16

A Chapter by gracey88

Eleven years ago, Kristine studied BS Psychology in De La Salle University-Dasmarinas to fulfill her parents’ wish for her to be a doctor. BS Psychology is a pre-medicine course. One had to finish the four-year college course in order to have the opportunity to enter medicine school.

When Kristine was in college, her fellow students respected her. She was a brilliant student and a great leader. Her grades were excellent and she made it to the Dean’s List every semester. Her projects and theses were awarded. She was the editor-in-chief of the school newspaper and the president of the student council. Needless to say, her fellow students admired her for her intelligence, leadership skills, and positive, vibrant attitude. She was the beacon of light in the darkness. They turned to her when they needed help, whether it’s an academic problem or a relationship one. She easily gave them wise pieces of advice. Their problems were solved, all thanks to the young sage, Kristine Robles.

Kristine made a lot of friends, but she found true friendship only in a young lady named Jody. Jody was Kristine’s classmate and a fellow member in the school newspaper. She was a pretty girl with dreadlocks. They were both into anime, rock music and fashion. Jody’s course was Fine Arts and Kristine envied her for that.

They were walking the tree-filled lane of the university when Kristine suddenly asked Jody, “Why did you take up Fine Arts?”

Jody smiled at the idiotic simplicity of the question. “Why, I wanted to be an artist.”

“What kind of artist?” Kristine was impatient, but curious about Jody’s answer.

“I want to be a tattoo artist,” Jody said.

“Really?”
Jody bit her lips. “Yeah, I know a person doesn’t need to be in college to be a tattoo artist. It’s just that my parents think it’s best if I finish my studies.”

“But do your parents know that’s what you wanted to be?”

“Yeah, I told them.”

“And they support your decision?”

“Always.” Jody smiled.

“Wow!” Kristine exclaimed. “I wish I had supportive parents like yours.”

“A lot of people do, Kris,” Jody said. “Why are you telling me this, Kris? Aren’t you happy with your course?”

“I’m taking up a course I don’t like, Jody,” Kristine confessed. “My parents want me to be a doctor.”

“What do you want to be?” Jody asked.

“I want to be a fashion designer,” Kristine answered.

“Then why don’t you tell that to your parents?”

Kristine chuckled a little. “Are you joking?”

“Do I look like I’m joking?” Jody stared at Kristine.

Kristine looked away from Jody. “It’s not that simple.”

“Have you tried talking your parents into your dream course?”

“No.”

“Then just try. I think that won’t hurt.”

“They’ll just laugh at me because it’s not practical. In a country like ours…”

“Is your dream more important than anything else?” Jody asked. She looked into Kristine’s eyes. She was serious.

“Yes.” Kristine looked at Jody’s face.

“Then do whatever it takes to reach your dream. Don’t think about what people will say or do.”

 

Kristine told her parents about her plan of studying fashion design over dinner at home.

Kristine’s father laughed and said, “What will you do with a degree like that? It’s just a waste of money and time. Do you really think you will be a successful fashion designer?”

“But Dad, that’s what I want to be. Ever since I was a kid, I’ve dreamed about being a fashion designer.”

“That’s a childish dream, Kris! You’re not a kid anymore. Grow up and be practical!” Her father yelled.

Tears rolled down Kristine’s cheeks. She wiped them with her hands and ran to her room and locked it. She did not finish her dinner. She went to bed and cried herself to sleep.

The morning after, Kristine’s parents talked to her in the living room before she left the house to go to school.

“Last night before we slept, your mother and I talked about your plan of going to a fashion school,” her father said. “We agreed with your plan.”

“Really?” Kristine was surprised.

“Only on one condition: You have to graduate from college and be a summa cum laude.”

“What?” Kristine exclaimed.

Her mother interjected, “Since you only have one year left, it’s best if you just finish your studies. After that you can do whatever you want. But first, you have to fulfill the condition.”

“Okay,” Kristine said. “Consider it done.”

Kristine studied really hard for one year. She was determined to get what she wanted.

After a year, she graduated summa cum laude and gave a powerful speech to her fellow graduates. It was a speech about following your heart, fighting for your ultimate dream, and doing your best.

Her parents were proud of her achievement. The day after graduation the Robleses ate in a fancy restaurant in Manila. A few days later they held a going away party for Kristine at home. Her family and college friends were at the party and they were all sad that she was going away but happy that she was about to embark on a journey in order to fulfill her lifelong dream. Kristine chose to study in a fashion school in Paris, France. They kept saying that they envied for having the opportunity to go to a beautiful and glamorous country.

“You’re the luckiest girl in the room!” Her classmate Catherine said. “Can you give me a French boyfriend when you come back?”

Kristine laughed at her joke. “Sure, Cathy,” she said.

Her other friends told her to give them presents. She said yes.

“We’re happy enough to receive chocolates,” her batch mate Ian said. “But we want other gifts, as well.”

Kristine talked to Jody. She said, “Thank you for giving me that advice.”

“No need to thank me, Kris,” Jody said. “You are an incredibly smart woman. I knew that whatever path you chose, success follows you.”

The day she would leave for France had finally came. She was in the Cebu Pacific airport with her parents.

“We’re going to miss you, Kris,” her mother said. She kissed her only daughter.

“Good luck, kid!” Her father said. He patted his daughter’s back. 

She hugged her parents. “I’m going to miss both of you,” she said.

They let her go and left the airport. Kristine stayed in the airport for a few hours to wait for her flight.

Later on, she was on the plane to Paris, France.

Kristine studied in a reputable fashion school in Paris for six years. She became a fashion designer and stylist to the famous stars. After a few years, she flew back to Manila and visited her family and friends. They barely recognized her not only because she changed her look, but because she was confident. Gone was the shy girl they knew. Kristine stood up straight and looked fierce. She smelled of success and fame. They hugged her and saw that she was still the same Kristine they knew but only better.

Kristine gave her family and friends the presents they requested such as chocolates, perfumes, clothes, shoes and accessories. Her gifts made them happy, but her presence gave them utter joy. They showered her with kisses. Home gave her warmth and comfort like a big, soft blanket in a chilly night.

She worked as a stylist to the local celebrities. A few months later she became a fashion columnist in a newspaper and the editor-in-chief of a fashion magazine.

 

 

Even though Kristine is rich and famous, her life isn’t a picture of perfection. Like any artists, Kristine get criticisms online and in real life. But harsh words from her critics never faze her. In fact, they make her stronger and work harder.

She will never grow tired of working hard as long as the fire within her keeps burning.



© 2018 gracey88


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

72 Views
Added on March 10, 2018
Last Updated on March 10, 2018


Author

gracey88
gracey88

Bacoor Cavite , Region 4, Philippines



About
My name is Mary Grace Sulla. You can call me Gracey, for short. I love to write stories and poems. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by gracey88


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by gracey88