A Way With Words

A Way With Words

A Story by Cal
"

this is old and bad and about speaking quite literally *jazz hands*

"
Evan glanced at Tom, who was taking up as much room as possible at his desk and staring balefully at the paneled ceiling. His hands were bent in mock-prayer over his knees. He nearly resembled an angry minister, if the minister forewent the flowing robes in favor of week-old clothing and a mop of cotton-candy hair.

He scared Evan at the moment. The storm in Tom’s eyes matched the thin line of his lips perfectly, somehow, and Evan knew he would be pulling something, anything, just to get out of class.

F****r.

“Tom.” The teacher, a portly man of thirty, stopped talking about asymptotes and tapped the boy on the shoulder. “What’d the ceiling ever do to you?” The class erupted in nervous laughter.

“Nothing.” Tom swung his legs under his desk, crossed his arms on the faux wood desktop. “You wanna get back on with the lesson? Do your job?” He spat out the word job like it was a cherry pit. It wasn't something to get out of class, but it hit the teacher and left a purple mark the size of a pimple on his face nonetheless.

The teacher turned around, lips floundering, hand drawing the smoothest sine curve Evan had ever seen.

And in that moment, Evan’s heart rammed against his chest.

Tom had such a way with words.

© 2015 Cal


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
Added on May 24, 2015
Last Updated on May 24, 2015
Tags: flash, story, short, fiction

Author

Cal
Cal

MO



About
Hi there, I'm Calvin! I've lived in the Midwest my entire life and I'm also very, very gay. I typically write Midwestern gothic, horror, sci-fi, LGBT+, and a little action. I also try to participat.. more..

Writing
The Maize The Maize

A Chapter by Cal