Piscicide or The Importance of Doing Your Chores

Piscicide or The Importance of Doing Your Chores

A Story by Crowley
"

A little whimsy from a story a tour guide told in Iceland about Fjord fish kills. I know a little out there, but had to get something written, if it sucks, I will take my lumps...lol.

"

     It was the lead herring that made the decision, if a herring can make a decision or be a leader.  It might have been a change in water temperature or the lunar phase that caused her to choose to rush headlong into the fjord with a sense of urgency unmatched. Maybe it was bigger fish chasing an abundant food source and it was the only escape route at hand, any way you would have it, it was a Kamikaze mission. The throng of herring that followed, slashed and flashed after her, a decision or non-decision that would make the slaughter of soldiers at the beaches of Normandy or Omaha look like a Sunday night at a small-town emergency room in rural Maine. Their numbers were unfathomable, the balls of fish rushing and weaving their way to the midpoint of the fjord. Smaller groups upon smaller groups running out of room and massing together in a larger ball.  The speed at which they swam began to slow as the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water depleted rapidly. Normally life-giving gills working too hard, opening too wide, not finding the purchase that they were accustomed. The first of the fish to die floated to the surface, its once two-dimensional gaze now a one-dimensional stare. There weren’t many that escaped as the surface and the rocks became littered with the fatalities born of the mistake of a single herring. As the sun rose and the inhabitants of the peninsula realized what happened, the work began in earnest to collect the millions of herring to prevent what would surely be a fragrant and repugnant start to the week.

     “What happened to the fish Mama?”

     “To many children forgot to do their chores last week child. Did you do yours”

     “Yes Mama.”

     “Then it must have been Herr Pieters kids, now we all pay.”


© 2018 Crowley


Author's Note

Crowley
Lol...I know, I'm not sure either.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I have been to Iceland, although not as a child, yet this made me smile at all those good meaning myths parents told children to cover up having to explain the reality of it all.
All those "Stick out your tongue so I can see if it's black and you are lying" or " if the wind changes, your face will stay that way" or "Stop that, it makes you go blind"... Well, maybe the last one was a little later, but hou get the idea.😀
Such a beautiful place. Went to the blue lagoon, in or near Reykjavik, saw the northern lights and crashed a skidoo... Happy days. 😀

Posted 3 Years Ago


Very great poem! I liked it very much! I like the creativity in it!

Posted 5 Years Ago


I don't know what's up with me Cee...you are a brilliant writer but I think I'm all ghouled up and in a strange headspace! For the life of me..Idk If I love it or I hate it?????

Posted 5 Years Ago


Crowley

5 Years Ago

You can hate it, I will forgive you..lol. Ben in a bit of a writing funk, but this one I really want.. read more
Magnificent...

I am not sure why but the old adage 'for want of a nail, the war was lost' kind of springs to mind, well to my mind at least.. funny innit, or maybe just something fishy going on... N

Posted 5 Years Ago


This writing is very thoughtful and brilliant in its analogy. The setting you have chosen is of course beautifully done. How profound it is that the misjudgment, lack of foresight of leaders (on, below and above terra firma) can lead to utter annihilation of countless millions! You deserve an an A+ for this writing, Crowley.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Crowley

5 Years Ago

Ha!!! Thank you!!! Had to grease the wheels with something haven’t written in a week or two. Alway.. read more
Dhara_Ditzy Kat

5 Years Ago

You’re most welcome! :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

252 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 26, 2018
Last Updated on October 30, 2018

Author

Crowley
Crowley

Phoenix, AZ



About
Like to hang out with other writers and see what's what. Have met a lot of good people on this and other sites through the years. Decided to come back and do a little posting and reading. Hit me up i.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Cold Gold Cold Gold

A Poem by BBP