Left Behind

Left Behind

A Poem by My Name is Brenda and I'm a Writer

 

 

He left his books behind.

They are piled there next to the bed he shared with Mama.

 

His pillow is still crumpled up. Mama has kept to her side of the bed.

 

He left his shoe shining kit.

Guess he won’t need that out there on the Outer Banks.

 

He left his white shirts and his work pants and he left me.

 

He took his cigarettes and his lighter and he walked right out that front door and he didn’t look back and he didn’t say goodbye and he didn’t tell me why he was going or where he was going but I don’t think he is coming back.

 

The house is quiet now. Mama doesn’t smile anymore. I feel like crying but I don’t want to make her mad.

 

I am just like my daddy. She told me so. I am lazy and good for nothing and I don’t pull my own weight.

 

One day I will leave too, but I don’t know that yet. When that day comes I will leave behind the white clock radio I got for graduation and the poster of King Kong. I will leave my Phi Mu pin and the notes from Philosophy 201 and International Relations. I will just walk out the front door and I won’t tell anyone where I am going or why I am going or when I am coming back. But in my going away I will finally understand why my daddy left me behind.


© 2008 My Name is Brenda and I'm a Writer


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is an emotion packed piece of poetry. So sad. But very well written. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


So much packed into this .

The whole thing turns on the " just like my daddy" verse
that opens up the whole view of things and almost makes you want to scream " Yeah" when, at last, you announce that you too will leave and will understand your fathers leaving.
Excellent writing
Thank You
Namaste'
Tim


Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

284 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 6, 2008

Author

My Name is Brenda and I'm a Writer
My Name is Brenda and I'm a Writer

Falls Church, VA



About
My first novel was inspired by my own childhood on Pungo Creek in rural North Carolina where I grew up in a house shared by three generations. It seems it took a lifetime to write but it was actually.. more..

Writing