Sitting Alone in a Coffee Shop

Sitting Alone in a Coffee Shop

A Screenplay by it's ashley, yo.
"

Just what happens when someone decides to swipe the seat of one Mimi Riter.

"
INT. CARMEL CAFE - DAY

SETH HALL is sitting atop the back counter next to the espresso machine. There aren't a lot of people in the shop, none of which standing at the counter to be served. After the camera pans the shop, we see Mimi enter and approach the counter. Seth stands up.





















SETH

Mimi, hey! Fancy seeing you here.


MIMI

I'm always here.


SETH

Ouch, where's that sunny Persona of yours?


MIMI

With my creepy as hell landlord.


SETH

Dude, you got that new place already?


MIMI

Yes.


SETH

Why aren't you insanely psyched?


MIMI

I'm broke.


SETH

I told you not to buy that Snuggie last week.


MIMI

I wanted the Snuggie, damnit.


SETH

(Smiling sympathetically.)

Is there anything I can do to help?


MIMI

Become my roommate and help me pay the rent? Or, no. I'd hate to live with you. Just help me pay the rent.


SETH

Hey, you can be like the characters in that one musical you like. Oh, what's it called...


MIMI

RENT?


SETH

(Slams his fist on the counter.)

Yes! That's it.


MIMI

Because that's totally relevant.


SETH

Tell you what. Your coffee's on the house today. Does that help any?


MIMI

Kind of.


SETH

Great. What can I get you?


MIMI

The same thing I've been getting every damn day for the past three years.


SETH

Right! Coffee and a sugar coma, coming right up.


MIMI

Thanks.




Seth turns around to make her coffee. Mimi waits, shifting her weight from one foot to the other. She turns to look around the shop and sees NOAH RIVERS sitting at a table. The look on her face suggests she's disturbed by this. As she turns around, Seth is setting her drink down on the counter.
























SETH

One large coffee, black, strong, extra extra extra sugar.


MIMI

You forgot an 'extra'.


SETH

I'm looking out for your safety.




Mimi rolls her eyes as she grabs the coffee and makes her way over to where Noah is sitting. With a blank facial expression, she walks up to the table, knocking into it.















MIMI

(Fake.)

Oh, well. Sorry 'bout that.


NOAH

(Smiles.)

Not a problem.




Mimi continues to stand there, staring at Noah.







NOAH

Is there... Something I can help you with?


MIMI

Yes, well, see, actually. This is my usual table.


NOAH

Oh, uhm. Sorry. I didn't know.


MIMI

Yes, well, I was just wondering if you could maybe, uh, move. Just this once.


NOAH

Why can't you just find another seat? It's only one time.


MIMI

See, it starts out 'just one time'. But then people see me give up my seat and they think "Oh, hey, she's weak." Next thing you know, suddenly everyone's going to be sitting here.


Noah

... What?


MIMI

It's been a long day, sir.


NOAH

It's only ten in the morning.


MIMI

That's irrelevant.


NOAH

I don't see why I have to give up my seat. What's so special about this seat?


MIMI

The view is spectacular.


NOAH

It's right next to an alley. What's so spectacular about watching a homeless guy piss on some weeds?


MIMI

Then surely you don't want to sit here, anyways. Why don't you go find a table with a better view?


NOAH

Why don't you?


MIMI

Please, don't raise your voice. It's not necessary.


NOAH

YOU aren't necessary!


MIMI

Oh, ouch. That was offensive. Watch what you say, sir. I'm relatively sensitive.


NOAH

Sensitive my a*s!


MIMI

You know, this all could have been avoided if you would have just moved seats.


NOAH

I shouldn't have to move! I was here first!


MIMI

Very childish, sir. Learn to share. Like in kindergarten.


NOAH

You're the one that's --


MIMI

(Interrupting.)

I have memories in this seat, sir.


NOAH

I don't care! Make your memories elsewhere!


MIMI

Can't. That would further break health code violations.


NOAH

What?


MIMI

Seriously, one table over. You can do it. I have faith in you.


NOAH

What do you mean by 'break health code violations'?


MIMI

... Please?


NOAH

Tell me what you mean!




Mimi sighs, leaning in, her hands resting atop the counter. She gestures him closer with a single finger, and he leans in. She jerks her head over to Seth, who is oblivious to the situation, wiping down the counter and humming the Cell Block Tango.






















MIMI

Do you see that man? Over there, the one with 'lame' written across his forehead.


NOAH

Yes.


MIMI

He really goes at it when this place closes up.


NOAH

Goes at... What?


MIMI

Me.


NOAH

I don't think I'm following.


MIMI

As soon as this place closes up, he just... Attacks. He's like a frickin' animal.


NOAH

Are you suggesting that he hurts you?


MIMI

Yes. But not in a bad way.




There’s an awkward silence between them, as Noah looks confused. Mimi nods at him, smirking. He looks up at Seth, then back down to her. Suddenly, he looks struck by realization, and he stands, taking a step back.



















MIMI

There you go, buddy. I was beginning to get concerned.


NOAH

That's disgusting!


MIMI

Is not. It's human nature, sir.




Seth looks up.




NOAH

This place is... Is disgusting!


MIMI

Yeah, well, you could have just moved.




Noah grabs his newspaper, brushing past her, rushing to the door. With a disgusted look, he pauses at the door to look from Mimi to Seth, then walks out. Mimi, satisfied, grins and sits down at the table.



















SETH

What the hell did you say to him?




Mimi grabs the abandoned coffee cup and sniffs it, grimaces, then takes a sip.









MIMI

Oh, gross. Who the hell invents this stuff? Mocha latte. Really? I can't believe you'd serve this. What happened to just plain old coffee?


SETH

You can't just go chasing away customers!


MIMI

Oh, don't get your briefs in a bunch. He wasn't a repeat.


SETH

Not now he isn't! What the hell did you say to him?


MIMI

I told him you and I had sex on the table.


SETH

Does... This mean you'll have sex with me?


MIMI

God no.


SETH

Then damnit, Mimi!


MIMI

Relax. No one would have sex with you anyways.


SETH

For your information, I have another date tonight.


MIMI

Again? This is the fourth time this week. Give the poor thing a rest.


SETH

What? What are you talking about?




Mimi smirks and waves her hand up in the air.






SETH

What? No!


MIMI

(Chuckling.)

Do you order yourself pizza and say you've bought your date dinner?


SETH

I hate you.


MIMI

I'm alright with that.


SETH

Just for that, I'm not going to tell my friend that you need a roommate.


MIMI

That's okay. It was worth it.


SETH

He was hot, too.


MIMI

Is he gay, like you?


SETH

I'm not gay.


MIMI

Never said there was anything wrong with it.




Seth grimaces, going back to wiping down the counter. Mimi grabs her coffee cup and takes a sip, snickering, slinking down into the chair. He looks up again and sees Noah’s WALLET sitting next to his abandoned coffee. The door opens and GIRL walks in.





















SETH

What's that?




Mimi looks up.




MIMI

Well, Seth, I believe that's what we folks like to call a woman. Please take notice of the similarities of our chests and overall body structure. I'm aware that you aren't used to this rare species, but --


SETH

Don't be a smartass, Mimi. Is that a wallet?




Mimi grabs it and opens it.





MIMI

(Reading.)

Noah Rivers, twenty nine years old, male. Well, at least we have that fact established. And awe, look. He's an organ donor. How sweet. I call his a*s for sitting in my damn chair.


SETH

Go find him and give it back.


MIMI

Why? There's nothing in here aside from twenty bucks and a condom.


SETH

He'll want that condom.


MIMI

Who the hell would screw that?


SETH

I'm not sure, but do you honestly want to risk little Noahs running around, stealing your seats all over New York City?


MIMI

(Hesitates.)

Damn.




She grabs the wallet and her coffee, then storms out of the coffee shop.


© 2010 it's ashley, yo.


Author's Note

it's ashley, yo.
At one point, this was in correct format, haha. We'll see how this turns out. I'll probably go back and edit accordingly in awhile, but... For now, this will do.

I'm shooting for witty dialogue, here, so focusing on that would be wonderful. Also, if you saw this as part of a movie (near the beginning, first dialogue scene), would you be pulled in right off the bat?

My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like Mimi's character. Just because of how she reacts to different things.
If I was watching the first scene, where Seth and Mimi start talking...I wouldn't really be into it because of their conversation I suppose. Though, if the scene was Mimi waiting for her coffee, staring at Noah...then that would really get me thinking...it would pull my attention and get me all curious. I would want to know why is she looking at that guy...you know?
Overall...I think you've written very well...and you should continue this piece of work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This made me LOL!
very sharp dialogue, witty to the punch.
I'd keep it as a short film, instead of a full feature.
but hey, if you can pull it off & keep it interesting, more power to you!


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very well done! I applaud you!
Excellent set up and informative.

The characters are nicely protrayed
and the sction, drama, and suspense are all perfect.
Not over used at all.

This is wonderful

100/100

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

654 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 22, 2010
Last Updated on April 22, 2010
Tags: coffee shop, mimi, seat, anger, angry, pissed, amusing

Author

it's ashley, yo.
it's ashley, yo.

OH



About
Recently turned seventeen, I'm a High School student who is aspiring to be a screenwriter and filmmaker. I was recently able to make a short film in Hollywood with Dominic Monaghan (LOST, FlashForward.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


As I die As I die

A Poem by Elaine