Dream Catcher

Dream Catcher

A Story by Jada
"

vagabond

"

Dream Catcher

After she ate her dumpster dinner, half a bagel that seemed pretty clean, the girl sat down on the ground in the park hugged her shopping close bag and leaned her head against the wizened bark of an oak tree. She closed her eyes, let her mind empty out from a thousand concerns, and fell almost instantly asleep. When she awoke, it was nearly ten o’clock�"crazy time in this section of the park. She lay there, and willed her eyes open, till the severity of her situation trickled back into her mind.

 

Look for a place to camp. Get on your feet. You can’t camp here. Get up. Get up. Get up. Get out of the park.

 

She rolled onto all fours and then raised her tired body one leg at a time till she got to her feet. Carrying the slightly torn bag with her left arm she to shuffled along the bushy perimeter of the park.

 

I am going to find a safe place for the night. When I wake up there will be milk and toast with strawberry jam and cartoons will be on the television.

 

She exited the park and hurried, toward Eighth Avenue to the Subway. The grip winter reached inside her thin coat uncompromisingly and bit her like an enraged spider. She decended the steps to the A train on Eighth and 116th Street. Small for her twelve years it was easy to for her to duck under the turnstile. She walked quickly to the furthest bench and sat to wait for the train. The girl reached into her bag and took out an unrecent stained envelope, extracted the letter from within and read it for the 100th time.

 

Dear Lucy,

I am writing this letter because I am just not strong enough to tell you face to face. I am sorry but I have to leave for a while. Mommy needs to go to a quiet place to rest, I will try my hardest to get on my feet, but may be gone for a long time.  Aunt Bunny and Uncle Neddy are very nice and have promised to take good care of you. I know that you don’t like Uncle Neddy, but try to be nice to him. It is a great sacrifice for them to take you in and you must try your hardest to be more outgoing and nice and well behaved, that means no more tantrums around Uncle Neddy and do good in school. I love you and only want the best for you and that is why I have to leave.

Love,

Mom

Lucy carefully put the  letter back into the soiled envelope and slid the envelope  into the shopping bag as far as possible from the tear. She slumped back against the tiled wall of the subway station and said audibly to no one in particular.

“Please come home”

 

Jada Fabrizio

© 2010 Jada


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

233 Views
Added on August 5, 2010
Last Updated on August 5, 2010

Author

Jada
Jada

Hoboken



About
Jada Fab is a writer of flash fiction, a photographer, and a musician published here and there. more..

Writing
Violet Grey Violet Grey

A Story by Jada