If it was Different

If it was Different

A Story by Jake Kokoris
"

Flash Fiction: Under 100 words

"

The first time it happened we didn’t know until much later. The second time it happened we were shattered. And the third time it happened we were exhausted.

The day was riddled with a razor sharp tension that sliced through the doleful clouds, and an expectation of loss was a gnawing anesthetic. We watched her pack her bag and hugged her goodbye, the hug expressing repressed fury. We watched them enter the car, uncertain of her return, hoping she’d come back different. They drove away and we closed the garage door, sat at the table, and fiddled.

© 2015 Jake Kokoris


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

In my opinion a great piece of flash fiction does two things: transport the emotion of the scene at hand and tell a story beyond the words. Many stories accomplish either one or the other, but rarely both. You, however, mastered both tasks brilliantly, the atmosphere is tense and gripping and even though I don't know for sure what happened between those people, there is a whole family drama with complex dynamics hidden behind these few words.

Great job!


Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

268 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 27, 2015
Last Updated on August 27, 2015

Author

Jake Kokoris
Jake Kokoris

IL



About
I am a college freshman with a blooming interest in creative writing, and especially poetry. more..

Writing
Unreached Unreached

A Story by Jake Kokoris


Yes. Yes.

A Poem by Jake Kokoris