Changing Indian wedding tradition.

Changing Indian wedding tradition.

A Screenplay by juhi

   Indian weddings not only  the union of two individuals, they are joining of  two extended families. Really???


              In our culture, marriage symbolizes not just the sacred union of two individuals, but of the coming together of two families and extended families as well.  As Indian we are familiar with this saying and even accepted this. But if so is the case then why only girls leave their parents home after marriage and are expected to consider their husband’s  parents and his home her new family and her new home. Why can’t a guy leave his parents home and live with his wife’s parents.? Or better  why can’t everyone live together? If a marriage is a union of two families why can’t these two families live together?

 

              And what about her family her brother sister with whom she shared so many memorable moments, her parents who made her what she is today, who she loves so much  and suddenly one day she is asked to leave them and move in with her new family.


             Now-a-days we talk a lot about equality. Treating women equal as men. Changing or voicing a opinion on every orthodox Indian tradition which harms, hurts or violates the right of women like sati system, child marriage etc. Then why not this tradition, why they need to make this painful sacrifice of leaving their parents, don’t they have the right to live with them even after marriage , take care of them in their old age? Does equality only means equal in strength, power, education etc. Do her feeling and sentiments towards her family doesn't  count under equality?


             Even after so many achievements made by women in various field. still be it an actress, entrepreneur, IPS officer, boxer etc each one of them left their families behind to take care of her husband and his family. After marriage if a girl comes to stay at her parents home and stays for more then a week or so, our  society starts doubting and badmouthing her that maybe she had a fight with her husband or in-laws or she has been thrown-out of her in-laws house. And if she decides to look after her family and marry late people starts taunting her that she is not looking or not well mannered so no boy is ready to marry her.


              Earlier girls were financially depended on her father before marriage and after marriage on her husband. So a father used to give away her daughter to his son-in-law because later her husband would be the one fulfilling her needs. But today’s  woman is financially independent and doesn’t depend on her husband’s earning for her livelihood. So why are they still given away to their husbands by their father or family members?     


              Maybe no one would ever answer this questions. Because we all got so usedto this tradition(even the girls). And I know change don’t happen overnight. But can’t we  just spare one minute  from our  busy life thinking about this issue. And maybe change would happen one day.

 

                 

© 2014 juhi


My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Change comes from a single individual, if women grow stronger, make brave choices in their lives, don't depend on men, and support each other(You will see many ladies crying in when a girl child is born), and realize that they do not need the mercy of a man to live their life all what you said above will be taken care of.
But I loved the piece.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

thank u so much Avinash... :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Avinash

9 Years Ago

Welcome :)
Change comes from a single individual, if women grow stronger, make brave choices in their lives, don't depend on men, and support each other(You will see many ladies crying in when a girl child is born), and realize that they do not need the mercy of a man to live their life all what you said above will be taken care of.
But I loved the piece.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

249 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 28, 2014
Last Updated on July 4, 2014

Author

juhi
juhi

Mumbai, India



About
I am a college student and i love expressing my views through my writings. more..