"THERE HE STOOD. BUT NOT HOW I EXPECTED."

"THERE HE STOOD. BUT NOT HOW I EXPECTED."

A Story by Julie Grenness
"

For contest, finish the story.

"

        "THERE HE STOOD. BUT NOT HOW I EXPECTED."


            "There he stood. But not how I expected. It was one way to turn the tables." Jessamy mused, gazing at her engagement ring.


           It began in the small town café, where Jessamy Brown, read as her coffee cooled. A teacher, enjoying her holidays, a peace and quiet break with no children. The latest legal thriller, the book club choice was enthralling.


              Jessamy became aware of a prickling sensation, as though she was being watched. Her glance found a man, staring at her from across the café, sipping his coffee.


        Jessamy returned to her book. Her skin flushed. As she looked up at his fixed gaze, she shrugged. "What is he staring at?" Jessamy pondered, as the words in her book blurred before her eyes.



                The stranger was perusing Jessamy Brown, a 29 years old teacher, that was what she reflected--her height is average, her hair is average brown, in an average pony tail. Jessamy wears average dull clothes, sensible shoes, a trim figure. All in all, she considered, an average appearance.


            Jessamy was single, she had met some men, some still friends. Jessamy's background was average for this small suburbia, average parents, still married, ordinary jobs, average home, similar to all the other ordinary dwellings. Her parents had retired to a coastal town. Jessamy's only brother was now married, no children, and lived three streets away from their childhood home, in an average looking similar home. Jessamy lived close, in an ordinary unit.


         Jessamy glanced again. Yes, the stranger was staring fixedly. Jessamy studied him.

"Nothing special, only average," she concluded. Jessamy prepared to leave the café. As she stood at the café cash register, the stranger followed her, but stood too close, not how she expected. Jesssamy sensed his presence, then left. He followed her.


         Jessamy browsed the collection of stores that was considered a shopping centre in the suburb that had barely changed for years. When she paused, he halted, then resumed trailing after her, very casual. Jessamy lingered, sorting and selecting cards at the local newsagency. Again, the stranger stood too close. Unexpected.


        Jessamy's quirky sense of humour suddenly chimed in her brain. Jessamy turned and brushed against him, standing near the stranger. The stranger retreated. Jessamy stood too close to him and breathed heavily. The stranger turned and walked away.


          Jessamy followed him. 'Her' stranger sauntered through the supermarket, casually seeking noodles. Jessamy trailed along, a metre behind. He paused, she paused. His pace quickened, so she speeded her pace. "Her' stranger returned to the café, to the same table where he sat before. He ordered coffee and cake. Jessamy walked to her customary table, and ordered the same coffee and cake from the familiar waitress. 'Her' stranger stared, Jessamy opened her book. He stared, she read, she glanced, he stared.


          Jessamy acted on an impulsive thought. Jessamy marched to his table, looked deep into his eyes, and planted a passionate kiss full on his lips, while grabbing his mobile phone. Subterfuge! Jessamy smiled at his astonishment, paid her café bill, and walked home, her book and his mobile phone in her bag. Jessamy never looked back.


         The afternoon dawdled by, reading, music, quiet meal alone In her ordered world. Jessamy waited for his phone to ring. Would he phone? What would she say? 6pm. Too much for 'her' stranger. He finally phoned his own

mobile.

"John Brown here. Who has my phone? Why have you got my phone?"

"Jessamy Brown here, silly mistake!  I thought it was my phone! What a silly I am!"

"What did you say your name is?"

"Jessamy Brown."
"And I'm ......John Brown. Great initials!"

Both laughed. "You need your phone."

" I need to meet you, great kiss!"

Jessamy giggles. "10 am, at the café tomorrow. We'll swap tables."

She ended the call.

 Yes, he had stood there, but it was not what he expected. Jessamy had turned the tables/

© 2015 Julie Grenness


Author's Note

Julie Grenness
Feedback welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Bec
ahh so keen to see what happens next!!!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Well done, Julie! I didn't see that one coming. And such an original name, Jessamy, I really like it. Great job.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

An amazing story @julie!!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

187 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 3, 2015
Last Updated on July 3, 2015
Tags: Turn the tables, story, how to meet someone.

Author

Julie Grenness
Julie Grenness

Bayswater, Melbourne., Victoria., Australia



About
Greetings, my name is Julie. I live in Victoria, Australia. I am a 61 yo widow, a mostly retired teacher and tutor. Currently, I tutor two ESL students in English, as well as Maths and Science. Scribb.. more..

Writing