The Leaf

The Leaf

A Screenplay by robert kaufmann
"

Bugs fight, then cooperate over a leaf.

"
Please see pdf, attached.
I don't think I can add a pdf file of my story, so I will cut and paste it, below.

THE LEAF
EXT. PARK - DAY
The sun is bright and warm.
It's one of those rare days for Maine - not a cloud in the sky.
There is a big old Maple in the middle of the park, that the CHILDREN, who are already out of school, have ignored so far.
On one particular branch, not very high above the ground, a classic battle was taking shape.
A big juicy caterpillar, named SAM, lights a cigar. He is distinctly segmented and plump, with an Italian accent, he no doubt inherited from his parents, who were long since deceased.
SAM
Whatchya doing there sweetheart?
LAUREN, a ladybug, heard him very plainly, because he was quite loud, but did her best to ignore him, by crawling along the branch in the opposite direction, towards the leaves, as fast as her tiny legs would take her.
SAM (CONT'D)
Ahem...
She had a big lead on him now, at least in ladybug terms. More than half a foot.
LAUREN
Leave me alone please. I'm much too busy to be bothered by the likes of you.
This remark stopped Sam in his slimy tracks. He took the cigar out of his mouth, so he could enunciate more clearly.
SAM
The likes of me, eh? What do you mean? Ain't I not good enough for you? Are you prejudiced against Italians or something?
LAUREN
No, not at all.
SAM
You think I'm a grease ball, right?
LAUREN
No. Why that's a terrible thing to say.
SAM
I know. But, don't be fooled. There are plenty of snobs what live in this neighborhood.
LAUREN
Well, not me. I'm nothing like that. Although you are completely not my type.
SAM
Why did you have to go and say that for? You were being so nice. You just gotta be mean, huh?
LAUREN
No, I'm not mean. Just honest, that's all. I don't believe in getting anyone's hopes up.
SAM
Oh. Do you expect me to believe that?
LAUREN
You can believe anything like. It's just the truth, that's all.
SAM
Big believer in the truth, are you?
LAUREN
As a matter of fact I am.
SAM
Yeah? Well, so am I. But I don't rub it in nobodies face when it will hurt their feelings.
LAUREN
That is a matter of judgment, sir.
SAM
Please, call me Sam.
LAUREN
Alright. Sam.
SAM
That's more like it. And what might your name be?
LAUREN
Lauren.
SAM
Did you know that means flower in Italian? Well Latin.
LAUREN
No.
SAM
And that makes sense too, 'cause ladybugs eat flowers, right?
LAUREN
As a matter of fact, we do not. We protect flowers.
SAM
How do you do that? You got little swords and shields and stuff like that? Little guns maybe?
LAUREN
Of course not. We eat aphids, which eat flowers.
SAM
Oh, you're a carnivore. Remind me to watch out for you.
LAUREN
That's right. You better watch out. Or before you know it, I'll have that giant, greasy carcass of yours down my maw, and out the other end.
SAM
Ewe. Gross. Why the violent imagery?
LAUREN
I just want to warn you to keep your distance, fatty, that's all.
SAM
Jeez. You just called me fat.
LAUREN
The truth hurts sometimes, doesn't it.
SAM
I don't know what your major malfunction is lady, but you either got a screw loose, or a very big mean streak.
LAUREN
Huh.
SAM
I'll have you know, that when the time comes, I will metamorphosis into a beautiful butterfly.
LAUREN
Yeah, right.
SAM
That's right. I'll build a cocoon, and when I emerge, I will have the biggest, most beautiful color wings you ever seen. Even nicer than your tiny orange ones with the black polka dots.
LAUREN
Now who's being mean?
SAM
Just the truth mam.
LAUREN
Huh! I'll believe that when I see it.
SAM
Stick around.
Just then, the children run over to the big Maple and see who
can climb it the farthest and fastest.
Lauren and Sam have to dodge a barrage of little shoes as they climb on their branch.
LAUREN
Every man for himself. I'm getting out of here.
With that, she took to the wind.
SAM
Hey! What about me? A fair weather friend. That's what you are.
She hovered several feet from the branch.
LAUREN
I can't help it. I'm a female. Got to ensure the continuation of the species. Sorry.
SAM
We males have something to do with that too.
She flies away.
Sam goes into overdrive, pulling his fat body along in an undulating manner, and kicking his feet as fast as he can, until he finally reaches a strong, healthy leaf at the end of the branch.
He hunkers down and spins a cocoon, as if he were doing so in fast motion.
A lot of activity can be seen within its thin, translucent walls.
LAUREN
(to herself)
I can't just leave him there, to get trampled to death.
She flies by and sees the cocoon, and how the children's little feet barely miss it on their way up and down the tree.
LAUREN (CONT'D)
Sam. Are you in there? Is that you?
SAM
Of course. Did I tell you so, or what?
With all the strength she can muster, Lauren ignores her carnivorous nature and gnaws a perfect circle around the cocoon, spitting out tiny fragments of leaves as she goes, and the cocoon floats gently to the ground.
She hangs around for several days to see what happens, feasting on aphids all the while.
CARD: SEVERAL DAYS LATER
Lauren experiences a rebirth, as Sam, splits open the cocoon, and emerges as a beautiful butterfly.
LAUREN
You're spectacular.
SAM
Thank you my lady.
LAUREN
And, you told me the truth.
SAM
Of course I did. What did you think? I was just feeding you a line to get you to like me?
LAUREN
That's usually how it works. Right?
SAM
Not where I come from, sister. By the way, thank you for protecting me from the almost certain doom of being crushed by them size 5 loafers coming down all around me.
LAUREN
Sure, Sam. (beat) Listen, I've got something serious to tell you.
SAM
Ut oh. What is it now? Something else you gotta be honest about?
LAUREN
Yes.
SAM
How did I guess?
LAUREN
I was once in a cocoon too.
SAM
Hey that's awesome. Something else we got in common, right? And I thought you was gonna tell me something bad. I feel so silly.
LAUREN
Ah, I hate to disappoint you Sam, but, you see, Ladybugs don't live that long.
SAM
Oh, no? Only a few decades, or what?
LAUREN
Sam, I'm going to die soon.
SAM
Oh no, Lauren. No. We just became great friends.
LAUREN
Tell me about it. And, I never thought I could become friends with a grease ball like you.
SAM
See, I knew it. What did I tell you?
LAUREN
But now that you are a beautiful butterfly, it's OK.
SAM
A lot of good that does. Oh, Lauren, how much time do you have?
LAUREN
I don't know exactly, but not long. (beat) And, I have something else to tell
you.
SAM
Do you, Lauren? Oh, great. Well, I hope it's better new than what you just told me. At least it couldn't be any worse, right?
LAUREN
Ahem. Butterflies don't live that long either, Sam.
SAM
Oh Lauren. When will you stop telling me truth? All it ever does is cause heartache and misery.
LAUREN
But that's what life is, Sam. Pain. Haven't you learned that by now?
SAM
No I haven't. And it doesn't look like there is much time left for me to learn it, either. So, I guess I never will. And I guess it's just one of those things that I never want to learn either. It's just too painful, Lauren.
LAUREN
But the truth is something you can't hide from, Sam. And remember what a wise man once said - the truth will set you free.
SAM
Yeah. Where'd that come from? The Bible or something? That guy didn't know what he was talking about.

© 2018 robert kaufmann


My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

50 Views
Added on February 17, 2018
Last Updated on February 17, 2018

Author

robert kaufmann
robert kaufmann

Manhattan, NY



About
Hi everyone. I am starting my 3rd career, this one as a professional writer. I write a story per day, which I would like to post here for feedback. Hope to chat with you guys soon. more..

Writing
The Leaf The Leaf

A Screenplay by robert kaufmann