Mending fallacies

Mending fallacies

A Story by Urjjo Bandyopadhyay



Mending fallacies
It was just another grim day for Luca. He was filthy as he woke up from a disturbed sleep. He had begun to establish a fancy for alcoholic drinks and took the bottle of wine that he stole from his father’s cellar. As he drank, he spilled a whole lot of it on his clothes. The drinking was brought to a sudden halt by successive coughs. He put down the bottle on a dusty table, ignorant of the cork, as he wobbled on his knees. When he regained his balance, he went downstairs in a groggy and careless manner. For some reason, he felt an uncharacteristic amount of hunger. He was glad to find his father cooking their breakfast who smiled when he noticed his son asking for food. Luigi was vastly ecstatic that day. He was finished preparing an answer for Luca which took entire years to build. He was overwhelmed with pride and self-confidence. He knew that he would be able to cure his son’s insanity once and for all.
A few centuries ago when Europe was in a state of chaos and instability, Luca, the son of a Christian priest and a renowned painter of the time in Europe, had begun a deep contemplation about philosophical concepts regarding humanity. The cause for pondering about such questions was vague, probably due to the hopelessness sparked by the shattered unity among men, constant petty riots and meaningless egocentrism. Nevertheless, as time went by, he became obsessed with questions and would spend most of his time daydreaming. His father, Luigi, noticed his abnormal and unnecessary confusions and decided to assist him with this issue by answering his questions. Initially, Luca’s questions were casually answered by his father. However, Luca’s doubts were never truly allayed. He repeated his questions over and over again regardless of his father’s answers. As years went by, his enthusiasm and insanity grew. He established mannerisms which were truly uncanny. He used to wake up nights, he ate lesser than usual, the walls of his room were crowded with figures and expressions which could not make any sense to Luigi, who was anxious for his boy. He never believed that sheer curiosity could be his son’s downfall. A doctor was summoned to expel his son’s ailment. Surprisingly, the doctor claimed that he was fine and that his madness was in fact,” absolute zeal.” Consequently, it was up to Luigi to mend his son’s ways. Incidentally, he had a brilliant scheme which was something he believed he would work on later….,
Two years went by and Luigi did not seem to interfere with Luca’s doings. In fact, he was spending most of his time with himself. Luca was slightly disheartened to see his father ignoring him but he concealed his feelings anyway. After returning from the Church, his father would go downstairs to the basement and spend hours in there. He was curious about what his father was up to but never bothered to find out. He assumed that his father had given up hope of helping out his son with the dilemma he was facing. He resolved to solve his own problems and find his own answers. As the two grew distant every day, Luigi, in his thoughts requested his son to retain his faith and patience as he was about to reveal his answer very soon.
Days couldn’t have been darker for Luca as his lunacy intensified along with severe depression and anxiety. He had almost forgotten eating and was developing insomnia at a drastic pace. His room was unimaginably unorganised, his walls were stained with gibberish and not an inch was spared, he forgot to change his clothes occasionally and would be lost in his thoughts for entire days without moving a muscle. His helplessness made his father weep most of the time and made him uncertain of the fact that he was still alive. But he knew what he was doing. Hence, he had no choice but to hope that his son would hoard his patience for a couple of days more. And then a fateful day arrived which was the turning point of Luca’s life.

He had prepared a few sandwiches and milk. As he watched Luca eat in a timid manner, he asked” Luca, will you please accompany me in the Church today?” Luca was stunned to hear his father ask him a question as he raised his head slowly to glance at him. He was bewildered and hesitant at the same time but agreed. As much as he regretted admitting it, he did not wish to weaken the already fragile bond between him and his father. Assuming that they were going to be interactive, Luca asked him the reason for such a request. Nevertheless, his father’s response was a smile. Luca decided not to continue their conversation and push his father for a while, especially for the first time they had had one after two years. When dusk arrived, they set out for the church which was a few miles away. Luca noticed that his father was carrying something which was obscured in a green old cloth. Luca did not pay much attention to it, presuming it to be the usual paraphernalia his father carried to church. They arrived at their destination before Luca could realise it, his mind being preoccupied with peculiar thoughts concerning the events that were about. He had been to his father’s church before and was thrilled to know that it was just as beautiful as the last time he had seen it. At that time, priests were not permitted to have children. Luigi, ever since his childhood, had a passion for theology. Alongside painting, he would associate with the clergy and learn more about religion and God. When he had turned into a young man, his colossal knowledge of the Bible had made his predecessor appoint him as the new head of his church, which was both a boon and a curse for he had fallen for a woman. He never imagined a day would come when he would have to make a choice between his passion and his beloved. As much as he regretted it he had to follow what he had spent his life studying about. He left her with a tragic farewell, and they drifted apart in a year within which Luigi discovered that she had already given a birth to a child whose father was Luigi himself. Grieved about the fact she died on giving birth to a boy, Luigi was determined to take the boy as his own son as they both would have desired. They both knew that the consequences of revealing their relationship to anyone could be hazardous. Therefore, they claimed that Luca was adopted. That was the reason why Luca hardly left home, let alone went to church or interaction with his neighbours was limited.

The Church was still the same-humble and yet, elegant. The halls and the pillars had fine curves and were white without any stains. The ceiling was in the form of a large dome and the windows were decorated with Biblical paintings, all of which were designed by Luigi. They walked up to the first row when Luigi asked Luca to sit down and wait. He took off the cloth to expose a painting. It was a very vague painting and seemed quite artistic. Luca could not wait anymore and asked,” What is the meaning of this? Why have you brought me here?” His father replied with a smile on his face,” This, my boy, is the manifestation of the answer you are so desperate about. But this can also be referred to as my masterpiece. All your questions will be answered soon enough but we need to wait.” Luca raised an eyebrow. This time it was his father who was not making any sense. Nonetheless, he kept quiet and waited. A few moments later, the doors of the church opened as a plump individual enrobed in opulent garments entered. Luca could sense that he had an extravagant nature and a cheerful attitude. As he came closer, Luigi embraced him and they greeted each other with the usual formalities. He introduced himself as Alberto. Their conversation was short and most of the words were spoken by Alberto who was exceptional in matters of interaction. When it was over, Luigi uttered a single word in Luca’s ear- “Observe”. He took the painting and gave it to Alberto who complimented the painting. Luigi asked,” Alberto, could you tell me what you see in this painting?”
He replied,” I see, a man, living his dream, surrounding himself with splendour and solace. He is aware of the fact that life is too short for distress and discomfort and hence chooses contentment to restore some meaning into his life. I think that that kind of philosophy is something that I believe in.”
“That will be all, thank you and do come by sometime else.”
“Well sir, till the next time we meet then.”
“Of course, goodbye.”
And then Alberto left. Luca still could not understand what his father was trying to get to. Asking him would have been futile. So he kept quiet anyway. As they waited, the Church doors opened once more. This time, a knight had come. He was dressed in an iron armour and was also carrying a sword. Luigi once again greeted and spoke to him. The knight was a man of few words. He spoke in a bold manner and occasionally gave a faint smile. On noticing Luca, they introduced themselves to each other. His name was Salvatore and he was instantly recognised by Luca. His numerous deeds, quests and active participation in war had bestowed popularity on him. The confidence in his character had deeply moved Luca as they continued speaking. A few moments later his father displayed the painting to Salvatore and asked the same question he asked Alberto,” Sir, could you tell me what you see in this painting? What does the painting depict to you?”
He replied,” I see, a man, drowning in pain and sorrow. I see death and destruction and I can also see the will of the man to live through these hardships and confronting them gallantly. In my opinion, it is somewhat similar to what I feel. “There was a brief moment of silence. Luigi thanked him as well for joining them today as they bade each other farewell. The door shut and the silence prevailed once more. Luca was getting impatient. He tried to ask his father and as usual Luigi asked him to wait as their journey was almost over. Luca sank into his bench and awaited the climax.
As Luca yawned, the doors opened once again. On turning his head, he saw a commoner arrive. He wore neat and ordinary clothes. He approached Luigi like the others before and Luigi embraced him like he did to the others. A conversation commenced between them. The name of the commoner was Ernesto. He was an ordinary and humble author but was truly well-mannered. He seemed like a decent person. Once again, their conversation was brought to an end when Luigi exposed his painting. He asked,” Ernesto, could you tell me what you see and tell us what it signifies to you?”
“Well, according to me,” he replied,” It signifies what life is all about, that is, its unpredictability and chaotic nature. I see the ups and downs in the lives of men and I can also see men living with them and accepting what life has given them. That is what makes it so beautiful-it is neither tamed nor biased. “he sighed and continued to marvel at the painting for a few moments. Suddenly, Luca could begin to comprehend what his father was aiming for. Luigi thanked him like he thanked the others. A few moments later, Ernesto departed and shut the doors as he left. Luca stared at his father, longing for him to say something and this time, he did. “This painting, is my masterpiece.”
“I see”, Luca replied, “now, father, tell me what was the purpose of bringing me here?”
“We shall get to that in a few moments. First I want you to look at the painting and judge if Alberto’s answer for a significance could be held liable as one.”
“Of course,” Luca examined the painting. It was vague and artistic. Therefore, Alberto’s explanation would obviously be considered acceptable. Luca nodded in agreement. His father grinned.
“What about the explanations of Salvatore and Ernesto? Could they be held liable?”
“Obviously.”
“Do you understand what I am trying to say?”
“Not completely.”
“Well, let me tell you by what I see when I look at the painting. When I look at the painting, I see…I see…”
Luca leaned forward. His father continued,” I see everyone’s perspectives. The three people that I summoned here today represent the multitude of people in our nation. And everyone is right in their own way. I see the difference in their views and beliefs. That is what makes us so significant-our differences. It is our differences that define us. It is our differences that makes every single one of us unique. That is what I see….”
“I am not sure if I can follow what you are trying to say”’ replied an eager Luca.
“There is always a conflict among men when they heed to different understandings. When someone does not agree with another, a clash erupts between them, which usually leads to war, destruction and ruin. However, it is not necessary that wars only have a dark side. At the end of every war, there is always a new beginning along with peace. In fact, wars can be the most fundamental instruments for peace. The possibilities can be endless and can have endless consequences. That is just what human life is all about. We just strive for perfection in this vast, indifferent universe. Is this the answer you were so desperate about?”
Luca shook with bewilderment and shock. He had spent his childhood in distress and misery all because of his folly. He finally realised that he bothered himself with unnecessary questions which had simple and lucid answers. He cursed himself for causing difficulties for himself and his father. Luigi noticed the long pause and burst into laughter. He began lighting the candles which illuminated the magnificent hall. The painting was left on the floor. Luca owed his father an apology which did not seem adequate though. When his father lit up every single candle, he hugged Luca who began to weep. He realised that his father would never surrender and would be there for him no matter what the circumstances were. The door was opened slightly by a cool draft. They did not care about that at all.

© 2016 Urjjo Bandyopadhyay


Author's Note

Urjjo Bandyopadhyay
Feel free to criticize my work without any restrictions whatsoever.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

35 Views
Added on December 16, 2016
Last Updated on December 16, 2016

Author

Urjjo Bandyopadhyay
Urjjo Bandyopadhyay

Kolkata, west Bengal, India



About
Everchanging and untamed. more..