Story with no name

Story with no name

A Story by Kuntry
"

maybe true, that's the sad part......

"

Story Without a Name

 

Tiny beads of sweat form on her brow as she pulls the Turkey from the oven. Ann hadn't spent a single Thanksgiving without Ron since they said their vows almost 12 years ago. Little Sarah had to blow the candles out on her 4Th Birthday cake this year without her Dads award winning rendition of The Happy Birthday Song. Dads busy keeping us safe and he's clean across the country. Ann tries her best to fill in.

Ron likes to call every chance he gets. He promised to call Sarah on Thanksgiving Day. Ann cut her finger frosting the cake in her haste to have everything ready in time. Ron's Mom was coming and she was real picky. That woman hasn't a clue.

Mom says grace with all heads bowed. The scent of fresh bread fills the air. The telephone rings. no it's not him. Ann sits lightly in her chair.

Sarah is lost in happy day thoughts. I think she is old enough now. Each Thanksgiving Ron will ask each person what they are thankful for. Ann says the same thing every year. " Thankful that I found You." She closes her eyes and sends this message to Ron. In her Heart she knows he can hear every single word.

Ron is blinded momentarily by a great flash of light as he slowly makes his way through the streets of Talzmar City. Last night he had witnessed the worst fire fight since his Guard unit had been deployed. The Eve of Thanksgiving has no meaning to this Evil Enemy they are so diligently working to defeat. Nothing seems fair in this strange land. They simply have no rules. Children carry guns that are not toys. Men hide as girls and Girls dress as Boys. The sick will hide bombs inside their own clothes. Who is the Enemy?.. Who the hell knows.

The sudden flash snaps Ron back into reality as fast his thoughts would let him. Only two more miles and he would be back at Camp. Nothing will spoil this day. He had promised Little Sarah a Call and Ron always kept a promise. In the distance he could make out a small form walking slowly in his direction. Through weary eyes he could see it was a girl. She was doing her best to carry something that looked much to heavy for her small frame. This Little Girl in tattered clothes appeared to be around the same age as his own child. He strained to see what she was clinging to. It was a Rag Doll. It had a few scars and had lost some straw.. Ron thought to himself..."Hadn't we all". With a slight giggle at himself for being so Witty he waited for the little girl to pass. As she got closer she offered her doll and mumbled the word HUG. Ron reached out to except this gift when suddenly all went blank_____________________.

Ann pushed back from the table. She didn't know exactly why she wasn't eating.Maybe she was just tired from the restless nights. Sarah had made a mess around her like most 4 year old children. She says she's a big girl now and she wasn't sitting on that booster seat any more.

Grandma had started gathering the dishes. She never really sits still. Ann says she'll live to be 100.

Suddenly Ann feels a gentle breeze blowing through her hair. The window is closed. That seems odd. It's almost the end of November and freezing outside, but the soft light coming through that window warms her all the same. For the first time in months she wasn't afraid of tomorrow.

Sarah stands in her chair and waves in the air. She knows Dad will not call. He's standing right there Hugging her Mom. He came home after all. Ron kisses her cheek and says his good byes as he fades into the light. Another Hero passes to be with the masses So Please Pray For His Soul Tonight.

Ann was shaken awake by her dreams this night. Thanksgiving went well but Ron had still not called. Sometime in the night Sarah had crawled into Mama's bed. Ann tries to make her return to her own bed but she has the same stubborn determination as her Dad. Little Sarah will be the first to tell anyone who will listen that She has "The Best Daddy in The World." Remembering the time they all went to a very up-scale Restaurant and Sarah went from table to table uttering those same exact words... Ann really thought they would be asked to leave because Sarah ended up in a shouting match with another tot who made the same claim. But to her surprise the Manager that hurried over to their table during the peak of the Battle offered them free meals instead... Ron got that often for he was a Soldier....... Ann smiled as she drifted back into her slumber.

Ron did a little dance as he stepped onto the hot sand. Laughing hysterically Ann almost fell over as she spread the blanket out. They had only been married for two short days. The honeymoon was almost over. Time to get back to the real world again. This day the Beach wasn't crowded. So Ann looked around hurriedly as she removed her top and ran for the water.. Ron caught sight of this and followed sheepishly behind.

Sarah's Tiny fingers made small circles in Moms hair as they both slept. She seems kinda restless this night.

She screams "Higher Daddy Higher" as Ron pushes the swing. The most cherished memories in this child's mind were those she spent with Dad. At 4 years old she really seemed beyond her years. "Daddy says I'm a big girl now" was her favorite card to play.

Ron wasn't really sure what was happening. Where did that Little child go? Amazed at the Beauty all around him.. He really didn't have to know. He felt different but yet the same. His feet no longer touched ground. He soars with the Eagle he floats through the clouds. Oh what a glorious sight. He sees his family feels nothing but proud. He's going to see Ann tonight.

Ann kissed Ron softly as they walked back to the beach.She bends to grab her towel. Ron pats her dry with loving hands. Not looking forward to the long drive home.

The loud knock at the door forces her back into reality. "Who could it be at this hour?" she hurriedly puts on her robe as she takes the stairs for the door. Her jaw drops as she opens it.. They've never come here before.. She recognizes the uniform it's the same as Ron wears. One man holds a Bible the other only a blank stare.

Sarah runs up behind her.. Shouting "Daddy's Home....Daddy's Home" as Ann drops to the floor. Tears fill her eyes this cold November morning. War is not fair it never was. Ron promised he would return. But as sad as this is. These stories never stop. WHAT A HELLUVA LESSON TO LEARN.............end.......kuntry

 

 

© 2008 Kuntry


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

sad and probably for some all too true. great imagery.

Posted 16 Years Ago


What a wonderful story. I loved it. So heartfelt and real. Even the parts that we wouldn't know for sure seemed so believable.
Thanks for sharing.
Love All, Mejasha

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

296 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 9, 2008

Author

Kuntry
Kuntry

Wesson, MS



About
Sometimes I write because I am compelled by something so hard to explain, it becomes a challenge to bring it to light. Everybody knows you never challenge a Southern born man. Things we hold dear a.. more..

Writing
Just Look Just Look

A Poem by Kuntry


Redneck Runaway Redneck Runaway

A Story by Kuntry