The Story of Pain

The Story of Pain

A Story by James Johnson
"

This teen has a very bad birthday.

"

      It was an oven in Paul’s in room. He could feel himself getting stuck to his hard wood floor. He had wondered when he would get up to get something to drink from downstairs. He pondered that for a few minutes, then he realized that his glued flesh was starting to harden. He arose with a fearful stagger and rushed down stairs where it was much cooler. He thought that the stairs were liquid nitrogen beneath his bare feet, so he ended up darting downstairs like a bullet. 

      Paul was now in his living room where his mom and dad are. They greet their 17 year old son with a warm hello. Paul said hi back as he gulped down a frosty glass of water. His parents asked Paul what he wanted to do for his birthday. Paul never wanted to celebrate his birthday, even as a young boy. He only had relatives come by for an hour or so to greet him and say “happy birthday”. It wasn’t happy for Paul at all. It was always a depressing time of year for him. His two close friends committed suicide in December and Pauls birthday was on Christmas. Those were two gifts he never wanted to receive, but he did. And he can’t give it back either. 

      The morning after yesterday, Paul was getting ready for school. He put on his clothes and shoes, then brushed his teeth and left out the door. He wasn’t hungry that morning. He walked down to his school and went into the building. It was nice and air conditioned. He heared his teacher talk about how it snowed it 2005. Paul chuckled everytime he heard about the winter not being hot. He couldn’t even imagine snow it 2020. The asteroid that hit Antarctica in 2006 wiped out the whole island, all of Africa and Asia, and South America was the only thing that came in his mind when he thought snow. He saw a few girls walk by him and make a few ignorant remarks about him, but he ignored it and went to his first period class. Science. 

      Paul walked in the room and sat at the table by himself, like he did everyday. He saw a classmate walk over to him. The guy asked him if he wanted to go to the movies with him at 9 o’clock. He was really excited, so he said yes. Paul wanted to go see the 8th Harry Potter movie that just came out. He watched the trailer on Youtube and he fell in love with it. That’s all he could think about the whole day. He thought he was finally fitting in with the other kids, but too bad it was only a though. 

      It was 8:30. Paul was almost ready to go to the movies to meet up with the kid. He was putting on his Axe when his mom came in his room. She said that he can’t go because it was too late at night. Paul was furious. He thought his dad said yes when he asked him. Paul and his mom argued for 10 minutes straight, then she just left. Paul wasn’t taking no for an answer. After he said he was going to bed, Paul snuck out to rendezvous with his new friend. Paul makes it to the movies with 10 minutes to spare. He went to get some popcorn and  Sprite. He took a seat on the bench and waited for the kid to come. One minute turned to 30. Thirty minutes turned to an hour. Paul realized after buying multiple bags of candy and soda that the kid wasn’t coming. The heart broken Paul walked out the theater. He left his previous emotions and hope it the same place where his popcorn and candy wrappers were, in the trash. 

      Paul was walking home it a tearful stagger and he bumped into a young man. He excused him self and kept walking. Paul walked close to an alley shortcut next to his house. As he was walking down the dark alley, he heard something. He tuned in on the sound. They were footsteps. Paul thought that everyone would be home on Christmas eve. He looked at his phone and it was 11:55. Five minutes until his eighteenth birthday. As he closed his phone, he saw a dark figures’ shadow behind him. He turned slowly to see 2 people instead of one. His stomach dropped so low that he felt it being pushed up by his overwhelming fear. The men grabbed Paul and beat him senseless. After it was over, Paul was a heap of torn flesh and ripped cloth. His phone was open on the ground and the screen was shattered. The men were still there getting ready to finish Paul. One of the men pulled out a shiny black .45 caliber and shot off two shots, both piercing Paul’s eyeballs. The last thing Paul heard was   Devastation, obliteration 
Are all in a part of exacerbation 
There's no explaining my situation 
Now why does this s**t keep happening to me? 
 
I've held on too long just to let it go now 
Will my inner strength get me through it some how? 
Defying the curse that has taken hold 
Never surrender, I'll never be overcome”
 

      It was his favorite songs, My Curse by Disturbed. It was his birthday alarm on his phone. Happy birthday, Paul. 

                        

    TWO DAYS LATER  

      SCRAPE, CLUMP, CLUMP! Paul heard that outside his coffin. Then Paul realized something soon after that. “I’m alive.” He wasn’t breathing, but he was conscious and he began to feel himself move. His eyes opened, but he could only see the fearful dark. His body was still cut up and bruised, but he still moved arould in the little space he was in. The sounds he heard outside stopped and he could only hear his thoughts. Paul was wondering why he’s here, then he remembered. He started getting mad. Then he blacked out. 

      When Paul woke up, he felt the mix of grass and hard dirt. He realized that he was outside his coffin. He opened his eyes, but saw nothing. He had forgotten that he had been blinded by the bullets. He got up to walk somewhere, but he fell back down. He was exhausted. He tried to get up again, but he decided not to and he went to sleep. 

      When Paul awoke, he was able to move easier and his eyesight was coming back. He realized that he was healing. He laughed when he though he was Wolverine, but his enjoyment was soon crushed by the reality of that he was supposed to be dead. He didn’t know how he was alive and he wanted to know. He wanted new clothes first. He wasn’t used to wearing a suit. He heard someone coming. He went to hide somewhere, but he didn’t know what way to go. He got up and ran any way he could, but he ran into a tree soon after his sightless frolicking. Soon after that, he heard his mother and father talking. He wanted to greet them, but he was scarred. He didn’t know how they would react when they see their dead son standing and talking to them. He heard his mom shriek. She said that the grave was blown up. Did I do that, he thought. He decided to come out of hiding to meet his parents. 

      “Hi mom, hi dad,” Paul said. His parents were so shocked and dumbfounded, that their priceless facial expression was etched onto their face. Paul is confused. His parents haven’t moved yet. He walked up to the car to realize the truth. “ They died.” He saw himself in the left side mirror on the car. He saw that he was dirty and then he saw his eyes. His eyes had a ripple-like pattern around the pupil, with a grayish-purple background. Now Paul was frightened. He realized that he killed his parents just by staring at them with his abnormal eyes. He shuddered and fell to the ground in a weeping despair. He stayed there for a moment, then he collected himself and stood up. He had wondered why he was cursed with this inhuman power, but he was quickly thoughtless as the sirens approached. Paul needed to leave. He fled into the woods to escape the approaching police cars. 

      Paul is running through the woods and the thresholds of his mind, trying to decide where to go.  Not knowing where life would lead him, Paul continued to run until he couldn’t hear the sirens anymore. 

      Heavy exhaling. The exhausted muscles of Paul were screaming out to him and pleading him to cease his movements. He could not hear the wailing sirens anymore, so he sat down on a large tree trunk. He though, why me? Why do I have to endure this awful curse? His best friends are dead, his parents are dead, and as far as he knew, he was dead. Paul is exhausted, emotionally and physically, but he knows he cant stay in one place for too long. After a minute of relaxation and partial recovery, Paul walks towards the end of the forest and towards the beginning of his new hell. 
 

                              ~END~

© 2010 James Johnson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a tricky one for me. I want to like it, because it has alot of potential, but it confuses me in many places. I had no idea that the setting was in the future until mid-way through the story. Most authors let you know up front and that helps the writer to understand the story a bit better, (unless your like Anne Mcaffery, who can totaly pull that reversal off). I would also suggest more detail, I can't see Paul, and decide which time-tense your going to use. Other then that I think you have potential here. Keep Writing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is a very interesting story. I suggest not using "paul" so much to begin every sentence. It gets annoying. But other than that its great! i want more! lol

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 18, 2010
Last Updated on May 18, 2010

Author

James Johnson
James Johnson

Pittsburgh, PA



About
My life is an open book written by someone who obviously doesn't know how to stick to one storyline. I'm a photographer, avid concert goer and I'm pretty much living my life day to day. I linked my ph.. more..

Writing
Stars Stars

A Poem by James Johnson


Death Death

A Poem by James Johnson