Baking

Baking

A Poem by Laura

The important thing about pie crust is that it's flaky.
A delicate, flaky crust results from an unexasperated dough. 
Both rustic and elegant desserts are born from the gold-brown foundation of the pie crust.
Dough scraps can become unexpected-cookies with just a sprinkle of cinnamon-sugar.
But, the important thing about pie crust is that it's flaky.

The important thing about the pastry cutter is that it is obsolete.
Mae Mae said with a wink, "Some people use the pastry cutter because it's more sanitary than your fingers."
The shiny blades of the pastry cutter are dangerously infuriating to clean--which also seems unsanitary.
Biscuits have never tasted the same since Mae Mae stopped cutting the butter in with her slender, silky, strong fingers.
So, the important thing about the pastry cutter is that it is obsolete.

The important thing about spice cake is that it takes your mind off of the news.
The cake is aromatic, and best eaten warm.
The ingredients are almost always found in your pantry.
Spice cakes can be made alone, or with your mother and your sister.
But, the important thing about spice cake is that it takes your mind off of the news.

© 2017 Laura


Author's Note

Laura
I wrote this in a National Writers Project workshop. The workshop centered around _The Important Book_. It is very much unfinished.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
Added on June 12, 2017
Last Updated on June 12, 2017

Author

Laura
Laura

Writing
Grace Grace

A Poem by Laura


Taking care Taking care

A Story by Laura