Refuse to Attend

Refuse to Attend

A Story by Lauren Galina
"

A twisted fairy tale!

"

Refuse to Attend

In a gregarious kingdom surrounded by weedy hillsides, news spread that King Frank Lee in the neighboring kingdom, was looking for a wife to marry his son, Meril. The king set out on thundering horses and rode to the gregarious kingdom to meet the royal family that inhabited the castle. His desperation showed clearly on his face, for he was as pale as a sheet blowing in the wind. The Juana family that ruled the kingdom had an intelligent princess named Ida Juana. Her beauty could cause many second glances, but her piercing eyes expressed glory and strength. Her father Dewey Juana was a respected man, as well as Ida’s brother, Ig.

As the king entered the doors of the magnificent bastion, he lost his breath at the sight of the intimidating beauty standing before him. He immediately chose her to be his son’s bride. The king announced to the Juana family that he was nearing death and wanted to make sure he could see his son wed before he died.  

That evening, Ida snuck out of the castle to go see her secret love, Aye, in the royal farm field.  She found him at the bottom of the straggling hillsides. She filled him in on everything that the king had bestowed on her and her family. She realized she must return to the palace, and tell her brother Ig Juana about the news, who was off on a hunt at the time of the king’s visit.  

The next day, Ida and her family were called to King Frank’s castle so Ida could meet the one she was set to marry. Prince Meril Lee was one of her childhood playmates, and she remembered him as a timid lad. When Meril entered the room, the two embraced briefly and awkwardly. They were then sent to an opal meeting hall. Ida and Meril spent hours together in that hall. The two families and nearby noblemen saw that as a good sign. What they did not know is that the two were in fact planning how to get out of the marriage. For what Ida found out, was that her brother was not actually going on hunts, but in fact secretly seeing Meril, as lovers.  

The prince had not come out to his father, because his biggest fear even as a young boy, was disappointing anyone. He allowed others to tell him wrong from right just to avoid possible conflict. This was of course problematic, because the two were both in love with someone else. They decided the Prince must tell tell his father, before Meril lived the rest of his timid life in regret for not telling his father.  

Ida decided to refuse to attend any kind of organized gathering that encouraged this set-up marriage, even if it led to disgrace from her own family. Her lifelong dream was in fact to be a king’s knight, for she believed that becoming a knight would assist the community more than sitting still and looking pretty as her only role for the rest of her life. This caused King Frank to become concerned about whether or not his plan would really actually work. He invited her to every kind of event he could possibly think of every five days, but she wouldn’t show up to a single event. She sent “thank you” letters the day after every event, saying she disagreed with the King Frank’s choice, but no more was said than that. People in her kingdom would call her ungrateful and disrespectful of her parent’s wishes, but she would just shrug them off and hold her head high. People would spread rumors of different ways she could have shamed her family, for they did not see what the conflict was that withheld her from going through with the marriage.  

After six weeks of this, King Frank Lee gave up hope on Ida. He visited her family during supper and announced that he would just find another girl for his son. Meril shifted behind him uncomfortably. King Frank then shocked everyone at the table; he said that he would be honored for Ida to be the leading knight for his kingdom. He had kept an eye on her daily training sessions and had seen what she was capable of. Ida thanked the king for his gratitude and asked to speak to Meril alone for a minute. The two slowly walked down the candle-lit hall, and they talked about how Meril had to tell his father that he just wasn’t attracted to women. After Ida made her points on the subject, they both agreed to go back to the king so Meril could come out to his father.

The two friends headed back to the dining hall to release the news. Servants suddenly pushed and shoved passed the two and dashed towards the dining hall, like rabbits being hunted. Ida and Meril then ran to the dining hall, and when they entered, they saw King Frank Lee, on the floor, dead. Meril broke down into tears and uncontrollable shudders. Panic surrounded the two shocked figures as if a swallowing hurricane was striking right over them. The world blurred around the two. After the mass for the King, Ig and Meril comforted one another and sat on a nearby bench and moped.  

Ida was called for at the Lee castle the following evening, for she was earning her title as a knight that delightful dusk. Now Prince Meril was officially King of the Lee kingdom and wanted to complete his father’s orders to grant his best friend’s only wish to knighthood. After the ceremony, King Meril decided to no longer hide who he really was, and flew the gay pride flag high, and took Ig’s hand, and they both sat on the large throne chair together. Their plush white outfits seemed as if they were in the shapes of two doves, united together.

Ida rode straight to her kingdom’s fields, to find Aye.She spotted him slumbered in a nearby hay stack and leapt off her horse and tackled him. She then said, “Let’s get married. Who has any say in what we can do.” The next day the two were wed, just like that. Aye took Ida’s last name, and the two couples, Ida Juana and Aye Juana along with Meril Lee and Ig Juana, stood in a circle hand in hand and sang merry songs of happiness. And they all lived prosperous, loving lives until death.


Fini.

© 2017 Lauren Galina


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

78 Views
Added on November 15, 2017
Last Updated on November 15, 2017
Tags: fairytale, story

Author

Lauren Galina
Lauren Galina

CA



About
Hi! I am 16 years old, and I love to write! more..

Writing