The Little Mermaid

The Little Mermaid

A Poem by Lau Thiam Kok

Why have not we an immortal soul? The little mermaid had asked mournfully. I would give gladly all the hundreds of years that I have to live, to be a human being only for one day, and to have the hope of knowing the happiness of that glorious world above the stars.

*

I think we all are born with an immortal soul and could be genuinely happy for three thousand years on this wonderful planet, like the little mermaid at the bottom of the sea; but we are fond of the illusive and transitory happiness on the land above the sea, craving for love like the little mermaid wants from the prince.


Therefore, we are cursed with an eternal destiny: the loss of our gift of immortality; plunged into the feeling of cutting by sharp knives on every step; becoming the foam on the surface of the water; and we shall never, ever return to the sea down there that we should love.

© 2008 Lau Thiam Kok


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
Added on March 9, 2008

Author

Lau Thiam Kok
Lau Thiam Kok

Budapest, VI., Hungary



About
I have moved all my writing to my personal website. Please check them out at: https://lauthiamkok.net/poetic Born in Penang, Malaysia. Studied Bachelor of Applied Arts at University Malaysia Sar.. more..

Writing
Home Home

A Poem by Lau Thiam Kok