The Cave

The Cave

A Story by Leah Elisabeth
"

Dedicated to Elias, my little brother.

"

    Once upon a time there were fifteen little lizards.  They lived with their mother inside a dark little cave.  Everyday, the fifteen little lizards would go outside to play in the hot sun and sand.
    Everyday, their mother told them, "There are three things that must be avoided at all costs; snakes, big birds and the monster that lives in the hole under the ledge.  And she would show them the dark little hole that seemed so deep.  The darkness swallowed up everything and they could not see anything a few feet from the entrance.
    The little lizards were always very careful.  They ran away and hid when there were snakes and big birds around and they always avoided the dark, fascinating hole that lurked under the ledge. . .at first.
    The little lizards began to forget their fear and to become more and more curious about what could live in that mysterious hole that sat so invitingly and innocently under the shadowy ledge.
    One day, their mother was busy in the very back of their little cave.  Looking at one another in glee, they realized that their moment had come.  They ran as fast as they could toward the little hole, forgetting all caution.  The hole was much larger than they realized but even that could not deter them from finally discovering the secrets that dwelt in the darkness of the hole under the ledge.  Fifteen little lizards reached the mouth of the cave, fourteen little lizards were swallowed up by the darkness.  The last, the very littlest one, stayed behind, watching his brothers and sisters vanish into the gloom.  Quietly, he followed them into the blackness.
    He crept along silently, the tunnel becoming darker, quieter and more oppressive with every step.  He was frightened, but he kept walking.  He could hear no sound from his lizard siblings that had entered before him and he began to grow worried.
    Then, the noise began.  He heard a deep breathing that echoed in the large cavern he had just entered.  He kept close to the wall.  Light began, subtly.  It grew until he could see his little siblings standing huddled in the center.  The sound grew still louder and the light grew still brighter and out of the darkness at the edge of the immense cavern came the monster that lived under the ledge!
    The smallest lizard cowered in the protecting darkness as the monster began to speak.
    "You have dared to enter my kingdom, now pay the penalty.  You will live in my cave forever as my slaves.  You will build my realm until I can rule the world!"  Then he laughed monstrously, his great guffaws echoing through the cave and striking fear into the hearts of all who heard it.
    The littlest lizard watched in horror as his brothers and sisters were chained together.  The darkness behind the monster blazed into light and the fourteen little lizards gazed in abject terror as their future was revealed.  There were many little lizards, chained up against the wall.  They were tired, old and frightened and they carved at the stone of a vast tunnel that stretched out for ages.  Sadly, the fourteen little lizards began to dig.
    The smallest lizard against the wall began to shake in fear.  He thought he must run away without doing anything at all, but he could not leave his family to languish and die at the hand of this cruel tyrant, the monster that lived in the hole under the ledge.  He could not leave them here to grow old and withered, never to see the sun again.
    He sat down and began to think of a plan.  As he though, the monster lay down and fell asleep.  The key to the lizard's chains hung on a nail above the monster.  The more the little lizard thought, the more he realized that nothing was possible unless he climbed the wall and took the keys that hung above the monster's sleeping head.
    He began as the monster slept.  He climbed higher, clinging to the treacherous rocks.  Every second, the danger of falling and landing on the snoring monster below him grew greater.
    It seemed to take hours before he retrieved the keys and was back on the ground, as safe as he could be in this dangerous situation.
    The little lizard took those keys and freed the fourteen little lizards.  He looked beyond them at all the other little lizards, so weary of their captivity.  He could not leave them behind.  It took thirty minutes to release all the other lizards in the cavern.  Every moment, the danger of the monster waking grew greater.
    Quickly, they ran through the tunnel.  When they reached the light, the captives cheered.
    Behind them, they heard an angry roar and the ever louder pounding of massive feet.  The lizards panicked, they did not want to go back in the dark.  It seemed there was nothing they could do.  Then, the littlest lizard had an idea.
    "Everyone, stand on top of the ledge and jump together!"  The lizards climbed on top and started jumping chaotically and without any rhythm.
    "No, jump together!" he shouted, his voice suddenly commanding.
    The lizards began to jump.  Their rhythm shook the earth.  Sand sifted down from the ceiling of the tunnel.  The little lizard stood a few feet from the tunnel's mouth.  He could see the rage-red eyes of the monster drawing ever closer.
    The lizards continued to jump, faster now.
    "Now run!" yelled the little lizard as the mouth began to crumble.  He stood his ground and waited.  The monster was very close.
    WHUMPP!!!  The mouth of the tunnel collapsed.  The monster did not reach them.  He lay, buried under the rock and sand of the ledge.
    The lizards could hardly believe that their ordeal was over.  They were finally free.  One by one, they slowly stretched out and soaked in the warmth of the sun.  The dark and foreboding hole under the ledge was now but a distant memory.

© 2008 Leah Elisabeth


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

"There are three things that must be avoided at all costs; snakes, big birds and the monster that lives in the hole under the ledge.
you didn't complete the quotation here.
" As he though, the monster " I believe you meant to say "as he thought, the monster "

Those are my only edits, but I found this piece quite enjoyable, and reminiscent of Aesop's fables. Wonderfully done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is the grreatest little tale I have had the pleasure of reading. I just felt for these poor little lizrds, I really did! This is full of imagination and penned exceptionally well. I think I'll put this in my favorites. I've been enjoying reading your stories.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I cant wait to tell this story to my little neice! This was a great children's story and very well written. I was hooked at the very beginning. I can picture that little lizard running around the cave, taking charge of the situation! cool

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

304 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 27, 2008

Author

Leah Elisabeth
Leah Elisabeth

About
I am a young woman who keenly enjoys the beauty of a well-turned phrase. I believe that life without the spoken or the written word would be very empty indeed. My life is filled with song and story .. more..

Writing
Minion Minion

A Story by Leah Elisabeth


Lazarus Lazarus

A Story by Leah Elisabeth



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..