Fall

Fall

A Story by lrigD
"

A moment on the battlefield.

"

They’re fighting, struggling, wondering what they’re doing here, wondering who they will take back as a limp body. Death is not picky today: in fact, it has not been for the past few weeks.


Although weeks is not the right word: it’s more like months, or years. It feels like forever.


I see my little girl, my best friends, my parents, my siblings. We’re all fighting for the same thing.


But only one can win.


And today, it won’t be us.


I see the silver glint of a sword in front of me, and it brings me out of my funk. I have a battle to fight; whether to win or to lose, it has to be fought.


My own weapons are smeared with blood, dirt and grease, and I can hardly hold on to them. Around me, I see similar situations. Nathanua is fighting with one arm hanging limply by his side: I rush over and fend his enemy off with him, but it’s no use. The man just turns around and attacks someone else.


Nathanua looks at me, for just a moment -it’s all we can spare- and sees the doubt. He opens his mouth, but before he can, somebody lunges at him from behind and I can only just move him out of the way.


And we’re fighting again.


I lose sight of him, and for a while I can see nothing but my enemy, one at the time, and I can hear nothing but the clangs of metal on metal and the screams of men in agony. My own harsh breathing does no longer reach my ears: I am deaf for my own sounds, insensitive to my own pain.


Nothing penetrates me.


Has it been minutes, hours, days?


When the fighting stops, I am lost. My arms are raised, automatically, instinctively. With nothing to do, they fall limply by my side. I have no more strength to raise them again.


The eerie silence is telling. I see dead bodies around me, a sea of blood and hair and men, lying or crawling. Some are still alive. I know it would me most merciful to kill them: but I do no longer have the simple force to do so.


A few men are, like me, scattered, searching, resting and waiting.

Nobody I know.


My family, my friends: what became of them? Nathanua? In this battlefield, they are impossible to find.


A sharp stab of pain brings me to my knees. I look down: a deep wound is in my leg, oozing blood and only then do I see that my leg is shaking -my whole body is- and I can no longer stand.


I fall.

© 2010 lrigD


Author's Note

lrigD
Just something I wrote today, sort of based on a dream I had.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

307 Views
Added on May 1, 2010
Last Updated on September 6, 2010
Tags: battlefield, war, family, blood, battle, fight

Author

lrigD
lrigD

Netherlands



Writing
Stay afloat Stay afloat

A Story by lrigD


I'm Not Dead Yet I'm Not Dead Yet

A Story by lrigD