The Demon and Angel Who Sit On My Shoulders

The Demon and Angel Who Sit On My Shoulders

A Poem by The Misunderstood One
"

This is a poem i wrote about the internal struggle i feel when thinking about my Ex girlfriend

"
So... I have a demon and an angel that sit on each of my shoulders. You know, like those cartoons where they whisper things into your ears at the most inopportune times and you can't understand what compels you to do what either of them are telling you to do. But here is where it starts.

"You love her..." he says,"That kind of love that keeps you up all night like when you were a child trying to sleep on Christmas eve, But what is it that you're anticipating? A text or a call that deep down we both know isn't going to come, so there you lay. You see love is a piece of paper. You can turn it into anything you desire and you chose to fold it intricately into a plane and you tossed it out the winder hoping it would fall gracefully onto the lap of a passerby who will undoubtedly cherish it, right? No, it floats until it lands on the ground where it remains unnoticed and trampled. So go out there and pick it up because we both know that paper isn't blank. There lies her address... on the tattered and beaten paper we call your love... there lies her address, untouched and pristine like the first day you wrote it there... there lies her address. For you know no matter how destroyed that paper gets, that address will always remain unharmed. So why are you here. Go. Go to her home. Not in a car, a bus, a plane, train, bike, roller coaster, No... She lives in her heart where the only vehicle that may enter is your soft spoken words you so frequently are too scared to use. Go to her, because deep down you know that's where you want to be..."

Poof
Now here comes the other guy...
"You remember her eyes? How they sparkle like when the sunlight hits the water just right that it bounces to you, slowly roasting your retinas, but you can't look away because of how beautiful it is... Or her smile... Man her smile. All you wanted was to be mad and 'screw this' and 'Why me,' then she smiles at you and... Wait what were we talking about? But where were you when this immaculate being was brought into existence? Not there... So what gives you the right to invade those foreign lands? To spread your ideas and eradicate theirs and populate, Spreading through this beauty like a toxic plague that many years later would turn into a land that hates, when it never knew how to hate in the first place... Sounds familiar right? You are only an immigrant whose visa has expired. So keep your photos, so you may always remember your stay, but remember you have no right to tatter this national treasure just so you can be happy."

The angel on my left, the demon on my right...
The demon on my left, the angel on my right?
But who said which? Wait no, please come back. I still have so many questions.

© 2018 The Misunderstood One


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
Added on April 16, 2018
Last Updated on April 17, 2018
Tags: love, poem, poetry, relatable, feelings, feels

Author

The Misunderstood One
The Misunderstood One

Lansdale, PA



About
Im a fairly new writer looking to post some of my work and get some feed back, thanks for taking the time to check me out :) more..

Writing