Grow Up

Grow Up

A Poem by Megan Lynn

They told us when we were young
We need to grow up to be someone
They told us to be brave
Maybe then the world would be saved
They told us to be strong
So we joined together and sang fight songs
They told us not to worry
Well i guess they got me there
I'm truly sorry

They told us when we were young
We need to grow up to be someone
Fight the bad guys and stay on the right side
But honey times have changed
They told us to be brave
How brave is wishing for my own grave
They told us to be strong
But I gave up and wrote this song
They told us not to worry
Well i guess they got me there
I'm truly sorry

You told me when i was young
I want you to grow up to be someone
I've grown up so tell me
Am i who you wanted me to be
I haven't saved the world
But i was as brave as i could be
I summoned my strength
When i wrote this down
I've grown up so tell me
Am i who you wanted me to be

© 2016 Megan Lynn


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I don't know if these are lyrics, but I can hear a melody in my head. Beautifully written. It's so hard when people ask us, tell us to be one thing, to be 'this' in the future, but we still want to follow our own path. A great read.

Posted 8 Years Ago


If you can write a poem like this, then you are hwo you should be! Very nice!!

Posted 8 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
V
Good topic. The way society nowadays sort of forces you into being someone; it's we almost make slaves of ourselves by working, becoming educated, serving general welfare as a superior being. Your personal needs and health (of your mind) often become left behind and neglected.
I really like the line "but honey times have changed". It leaves a strong impression of maturing as growing up and seeing the world differently.
Other than that I have to admit that I think your poem could use a better structure, a clearer and smoother scheme (your rhymes). But changing or even only having a second look at it is up to you not to others, I just like to give constructive advice at times.

Posted 8 Years Ago


You are an exceptional writer! Thank you for sending me a friend request, which is what prompted me to check out your writing. As I mentioned on another of your poems, so many dark writes are not crafted, but mostly an emotional dump. Your words are superbly crafted, maybe even to the point of being a bit controlled, but this doesn't detract. This is a powerful message that doesn't sound like the 10,000 other poems with similar themes. There are surprising aspects, such as "I'm truly sorry" . . . clearly the narrator is trying hard to live up to the expectation, but feeling quite inadequate in the effort. We've all felt that way, many live with such feelings. Great capture of raw human tendencies.

Posted 8 Years Ago


very enjoyable read. A very strong statement. I think everyone thinks about this at some point and you did an amazing job at putting it into words. :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Wow... Such deep emotional feelings... Excellent piece

Posted 8 Years Ago


A very nice poem indeed....The title is very much appropriate....A very well thought out piece....The message behind this poem is very deeply thought out....Thought provoking work mate....Full ratings!!!! With clappings......

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

390 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 9, 2016
Last Updated on February 10, 2016

Author

Megan Lynn
Megan Lynn

About
I aspire to be an artist, hopefully not the starving kind. I play guitar and attempt to write lyrics for original songs, usually it turns into the work I post here. more..

Writing
Yesterday Yesterday

A Poem by Megan Lynn



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..