Promise me

Promise me

A Story by sonnetmoon
"

Sam reflects on the past and discovers many things.

"

A picture of his mother fell to the floor. Fragments of sharp glass lay on the ground. He tried to pick up the pieces, but he ended up getting wounded. Sam discovered promises are always broken. That is why he trusted no one. He didn’t even trust himself. A year prior to his discovery his mother died of cancer. She had promised him that she would stay alive. She promised that she would keep on fighting. He used the back of his hand to wipe away his tears.

 

The clock ticked in the background accompanying the dire mood. Everyone had moved on. Leaving the house derelict and abandoned. Spiders were the new residents. They had decorated every corner. At times he would destroy their webs. He felt that they were trying to erase his mothers trace. She would always clean the house. Always.

Patterned wallpaper was peeling off the wall. Cracks ran across the ceiling. The scent of musk lingered in the air. In the very corner the room he could see his father’s Cuban cigars. Sam picked up a cigar and lit it with his lighter. A plume of smoke clouded the room. His mother would be ashamed of him. He had an addiction to Alcohol. The phrase ‘Like father like son’ haunted his mind. He didn’t want to become a monster.

 

Sam closed his eyes for a few seconds. The smell of Apple pies made his mouth water. He could hear the laughter of his other siblings.

“Hey! Don’t break my Barbie doll Sam. MUM! Sam is being mean to me” Rose shouted.

“Sam stop being a bully” she placed her hands on her hips. Her eyes narrowed to thin slits. Within an instant he handed over her toy.

“Why can’t you play nice for once?” she questioned. She looked weak and tired. Sam could see the bruises on her pasty skin.

“I’m sorry mommy. I promise I won’t do it again”Sam’s eyes were now wide open.

“S**t” he mumbled.

Sam sat down on the couch. He reached for the TV remote. After ten minutes of watching the football game he got bored. His father would always sit opposite from where he was sitting. Disgusted with himself he flung the remote control at the TV screen. Everything was falling apart. Maybe it had always been the case. They were never a happy family.

 

The sound of someone knocking on the door broke his trance. He walked over to the door. Without any hesitation he opened it. His mouth gaped in shock.

“Why so surprised?” his father replied. Sam stepped to the side to let his father through. He closed the door behind them.

“This place hasn’t changed a bit” his father mumbled. Sam continued to act aloof.  Sam offered him something to drink. He treated him like he was a guest. After all it had been a long time since he had last seen him. He placed the coffee in front of his father.

 

"How is Rose doing? ... she must be eighteen now" he sipped on his coffee, scalding his mouth in the process. 

"Rose is fine..." an awkward silence loomed in the air. It was a few minutes before either of them spoke. Maybe it was because there was nothing to say.

 

"I'm sorry... Sam I fucked up" Sam felt the heat of his fathers gaze. His vision became blurred. He tried to wipe away his tears. Yet all his efforts were futile.

 "Don't apologise to  me. Say sorry to Mum. She is the one who had to put up with your s**t" he balled his hand up into a fist. Sam's inner child was seeking revenge.His father avoided his gaze.

"If I could change the past I would. You know how much I loved your mother" his voice was laced with genuine emotion. Sam closed his eyes for a brief second.

 

"Did you love her when you hit her?" his father didn't reply. It was apparent that he was uncomfortable with the subject. The grey hue of his eyes grew fainter.

 

"Huh ! cats got your tongue old man. I remember that you weren't much of a talker. Did the Drink numb your pain. What did mother do?" before he could say anymore his father interrupted him.

 

"Your right. I have changed now. Why do you dwell in the past? she wouldn't of wanted this. were more alike than you think"

 

Sam began to take in deep breaths. He could feel his anger rising with each passing second. It was only a matter of time before things started boiling over. He glanced at the clock. His father had been here for more than two hours. His father saw the broken picture in the corner of his eye. A single tear dampened his cheek. He had never let anyone see him this weak. Sam stared at his father. He didn't know if what he was seeing was an hallucination. For once he looked like a human being.

 

His father walked over to the broken glass and picked it up. In the process he cut his finger. However this didn't stop him. Bit by bit he picked up the fragments.

 

"We can move on now" he whispered. Sam was rendered speechless. He felt his anger slowly ebbing away.

 

"Daddy do you think she is in a better place?" rose questioned.

 

"Yes. She is smiling down on us right now" he lifted her up towards the sky. Her green eyes lit up as she viewed the clouds above.

 

Sam stepped outside. He allowed nature to seep into his being. A smile was now etched onto his features. The vast clouds above were forever changing. At times the sky would cry or cower behind the clouds. It was time to move on. He was tired of working against the current. His father placed his bloody hand on his shoulder. Even though it would take them many years to reconcile, he believed that blood was thicker than water.

 

 

© 2013 sonnetmoon


Author's Note

sonnetmoon
Please review and comment. Thank you for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I always have a hard time dealing with people who are grieving over death, and likewise, I had a hard time relating to this. Which, probably means you did a good job; but try as I might, I just can't give a good review on something like this. I just don't feel remorse for the deceased, I don't understand people crying over it, and I am not particularly worried or afraid of death myself (Been on its doorstep too many times to worry about it anymore). I strongly believe that there is no afterlife, so I never can grasp the idea of a person being in a better place. It is unfortunate, because whenever a family member or friend dies, and I can't show any emotion, people think I am indifferent and that I didn't care about them. I just don't feel that same connection they do.

Posted 10 Years Ago


sonnetmoon

10 Years Ago

Thank you for the review Nusquam Esse. I respect your personal views and that not everyone sees deat.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

268 Views
1 Review
Added on June 14, 2013
Last Updated on June 17, 2013
Tags: Family, True-story, Past, Fiction, Cancer

Author

sonnetmoon
sonnetmoon

United Kingdom



About
We live in a dystopian world. Malice is my muse. Modern society is what inspires me.Writing is my freedom. more..

Writing
short short

A Story by sonnetmoon