Leora's Dreams

Leora's Dreams

A Story by Nancy Lee Shrader

Leora's Dreams

 

 

Leora lay on a comfortable bed with wired electrodes attached to her head, by a gooey sticky substance that felt cold against her scalp. Much like tentacles, the wires were connected to a small machine next to the bed. Leora’s eyes observed a warm homey décor, but the medicinal hospital smells brought her back to reality and the reason she was there

a dream study. Leora closed her eyes, but feared she wouldn’t fall asleep while hooked up like the bride of Frankenstein. hidingwaiting to wage yet another attack on her sanity. Each night Leora saw its obscured face as it reached out to her in the darkness with its clawed hands grabbing at her from all directions, screeching her name and threatening to pull her into its realm of consciousness. Leora’s silent screams exploded on the monitor, giving voice to her night terror. She had tried many times to bring that face into focus, but always awakened to soon and it faded back into the darkness to lie dormant, plotting its next assault. However, tonight would be different; the sedative had done its job and finally Leora watched in horror as the demon’s face that had been haunting her night terrors. Leora’s mirror image glared at her from the shadows inside her mind. Leora’s dark side had awakened the demon within herself.

 

The door opened. She heard squeaking sounds moving towards her bed and when she opened her eyes; she saw an elderly nurse wearing orthopedic shoes staring down at her.

"This will help you relax," the nurse said as she stuck a needle into Leora’s left arm. "Now just close your eyes and allow the sedative to take you to dreamland," the nurse said smiling.

Leora felt herself drifting. This stuff really works fast, she thought. Her inner voice slurred and she wondered if she was really speaking aloud or quietly within her own mind. She tried to open her eyes, but they were just too heavy, so she gave in and allowed her mind to drift away to the place where her idyllic dream would quickly turn into a nightmare. Her breathing slowed and sleep came. Her eyes began moving back and forth beneath her eyelids as her sleep pattern changed suddenly on the machines in the room behind the two-way glass.

"She’s dreaming," said the young woman monitoring the machine, as the man standing behind her flipped a switch on another machine. Out of focus images whirled inside Leora’s mind, but appeared on the screen. It began as it always did. Leora was walking through the willows at the summer house on a peaceful summer day and then a haunting darkness cascaded around her and threatening clouds filled the summer sky. The screen on the monitor flashed violently as lost memories from her past swirled in all directions as the dream turned even darker for another night of terror.

Leora’s eyelids moved faster as she felt the demons looming over her somewhere in the darkness

© 2008 Nancy Lee Shrader


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow! This had me holding onto my seat this is wonderful. Like this story, hope there is more.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

150 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 9, 2008

Author

Nancy Lee Shrader
Nancy Lee Shrader

Beckley, WV



About
Nancy Lee Shrader resides in Beckley, West Virginia. She is author of three books IS IT NOW? The End of Days! IS HE MESSIAH? Messianic Prophecies Revealed! And The Curse of Mayweather House Nancy Lee .. more..

Writing