Carrots

Carrots

A Story by Naomi Bloom
"

A companion piece to "Candy." About my childhood hatred for carrots.

"

Yuck.  Who would eat those?  Playing in the snow one winter, my brother Horace* and I tried to make a snowman, and like every child, I rushed past the buried picnic table to fetch a carrot for the nose.  Coming back, I looked at the enormous carrot and considered eating it.  In a moment, I could taste the strict, bitter taste of the vegetable everyone said was “good for your eyes.”


Later that night, mom wanted me to try carrots for the “first time” but I told her my snowman story.  She was skeptical and she asked, “if you won’t eat them now, when will you eat them?”


I picked an age that seemed like a hundred to me: “when I’m sixteen.”


Yeah, right!


I’m seventeen now and, other than in a soup, I will not eat carrots.  Ever.  Again.

© 2013 Naomi Bloom


Author's Note

Naomi Bloom
* I changed my brother's name for his privacy.

This was written in high school, many years ago.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

213 Views
Added on January 13, 2013
Last Updated on January 13, 2013
Tags: candy, carrots, story, piece, childhood, hatred, vegetables, taste, try, disgust, nostalgia, memories, reminiscence, winter, snowman, nose, writer, writing, monologue, orange, food, snow, dislike

Author

Naomi Bloom
Naomi Bloom

Ontario, Canada



About
An amateur writer of poems, short stories and other types of writing. I recently graduated from university and I am trying to figure out what to do with my life. Victorian England, name meanings, be.. more..

Writing
Drowning Drowning

A Poem by Naomi Bloom