Glorious Oblivion

Glorious Oblivion

A Poem by Natasha Ashway
"

My recently new life: the alternative route.

"

Lost in the days’ powers

I devour nameless hours

Though somewhere inside me the substance of your absence keep thoughts of you awake,

Now I know what it means to wander

You used to be my calendar

Without you the road signs point ahead through this endless time of late,

The label on the bottle says

Alice, drink it in, drown,’

So, popping in and out of my bubbles of conscious dreams, I move forward,

I am what impulse made me say;

Yesterday. Today.

I will not follow after on your predetermined way

I never intended to change,

You walk onward because you’re ‘on track’ and will not glance back to see

How I register the aftershock of my loss

How I miss the kiss of the sun in your eyes you block from me,

I turn around without a sound

I will get lost in the life I have found on my own

You are a precious moment gone

Yet no matter, my walks in glorious oblivion have begun.

 

© 2008 Natasha Ashway


Author's Note

Natasha Ashway
I was originally trying to express how I feel about losing a relationship with someone I care deeply about and then the words grew mildly philosophical as I thought about how the reasons why are tied to my attitude about life in general [i.e. carefree and spontaneous].
Your thoughts are appreciated, especially on how beliefs affect the bonds between people for better or worse [heck, maybe I should create a contest?].

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It was a powerful poem and brought back memories of being on crossroads in my own life. Leaving a relationship is always a struggle no matter how bad the actual relationship was. You come to get used to that other person as another extension of your self and so leaving them is like leaving part of yourself. You have to heal that part and maybe even grow a new part to take it's place by finding the hobbies you left behind to be with them.
Your poem was very thought provoking.
Thank you for sharing.
Love All, Mejasha

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

natasha, love this piece and all it offers, its acsending in its own right, and the last image, walking into
glorious oblivion punctuates the meaning with heightened effect, the entire dynamics struck
a soul cord, and reverberates the authors intent, and that being how you were able to ponder
with focus, allowing the read to in take the imagery at its full potential, the entire context
is metaphorically touching, and i really could pick ou a favorite analysis, a true slipping
into the abyss of one's longing, to dsire love at full force, excllent choice of wording, thanks for sharing

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i myself have just been through such a change as you may know. i am still struggling with that change. i did care very much for that person but when the paths start to go in different directions, not matter the circumstances, it is time to decide if you want to follow them or go out on your own. sometimes is in your best interest to follow your own way and leave them to their own way. in my case, theirs was a very destructive one that i could no longer abide with.

a very though provoking piece that has brought back the memories of that time of my life when i had to choose. a well written poem and i hope that you have made it through fine.

Always,

Amanda

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Just love the 'bubbles of conscious dreams' - thought that was wonderful imagery. The idea of the attachment of two people fading and splitting apart is difficult to write about. I think everyone has there own slant on this. Yours seems to be a very positive intention, no matter if you have to walk into oblivion, this will be better than spending moments of regret? maybe the oblivion is the regret here?

Very interesting, which is how a poem should be, open and enthusing a collection of differing thoughts.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a great poem - a very creative journey! And I absolutely agree that our beliefs affect our relationships with others, and we can make them work or break them apart. A sad but strong poem, KUDOS! You've done a great write here!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Very well written. I could feel the lose. Wonderfully penned. Great job.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A pained and affecting piece! Some of the ways you express your emotions in this piece are really quite poignant and I was quite taken by the lovely line: 'you are a precious moment gone.' If you're hadn't already chosen a great title in Glorious Oblivion, 'a precious moment gone' might be a contender as it encapsulates the piece and resonates.

Some of the internal rhyming is a subtle pleasure as well, as in, 'devour' and 'hours'.
Nice work.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is wonderful. I can feel the loss blended in with thoughtful musings. I really enjoyed this. Thanks so much for sharing.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh wow Natasha what a wonderful poem. I will have to agree with the previous reviewer, I loved the progression of emotion in this piece, from explaining the loss of someone who was clearly loved to where you are right now in your life
ready and willing to accept what has happened and to keep a steady course staying true to yourself.

Brilliantly written, I really enjoyed this

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It was a powerful poem and brought back memories of being on crossroads in my own life. Leaving a relationship is always a struggle no matter how bad the actual relationship was. You come to get used to that other person as another extension of your self and so leaving them is like leaving part of yourself. You have to heal that part and maybe even grow a new part to take it's place by finding the hobbies you left behind to be with them.
Your poem was very thought provoking.
Thank you for sharing.
Love All, Mejasha

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

this is quite lovely, i must agree. it has such a sweet, lilting rhythm to it, that i wasn't initially expecting, but i adored.

"the substance of your absence " - what a powerful line. it's so true. someone's absence, when taken from us, is like a palpable thing. it haunts me all the time, how someone can walk away and not be effected the same way. nothing seems to hurt more than that knowledge- that here i am, dying, and he's just walking away, apparently unruffled.

fantastic piece, my dear. thanks for sending it my way.
and yes, not a shabby idea for a contest ;)
hugs



Posted 16 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

341 Views
12 Reviews
Added on March 20, 2008

Author

Natasha Ashway
Natasha Ashway

Here & Now, Canada



About
more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Natasha Ashway


Dawn Dawn

A Poem by Natasha Ashway