heated blanket

heated blanket

A Story by nyeme

The warm October air caressed my face as I casually walked out of Sears without a care in the world. Like most other college freshman I believed my actions did not have consequences, and if they did I sure wasn't the person affected by them.  I was invincible. Until I wasn't.

“ If you try and run you will just make it harder on yourself. Follow me.”

The young man who couldn't be more than a couple years older than me continued to walk towards me; his gaze never leaving mine. I still wasn't quite sure what was going on, then a walkie talkie went off and I instantly connected the dots.

He was a secret shopper and I had just walked out of sears with a heated blanket,  plush pillow and no intentions of paying for either. I gave up the merchandise without putting up much of a fight and followed him as directed. As we rounded the corner I spotted my s****y navy blue Nissan Sentra and the two mall security cars that were surrounding it.

I was led to the front entrance of sears where my two roommates, William and Jude were seated on the sidewalk being questioned by a heavy set police officer. They sat me on the sidewalk next to William and Jude, both had a glimmer of fear in their eyes that I had never seen before.

“We have video from a prior incident involving you three, along with this most recent offense you guys could be charged with a felony.” The young man who apprehended me chimed in once the officer was done taking my information.

My stomach dropped at the possibility of being charged with a felony. Our freedom was on the line over some champion hoodies and a warm blanket.  I know what you're thinking three black teens caught shoplifting, one hell of a cliche. To add insult to injury we were all from well off families so we could have easily purchased any of the items that we stole. But always looking for that next fix, casually walking out the front door with a pile of clothes gave us just the rush we were looking for.

It started to rain not too long after I was seated and the officers seemed to enjoy us sitting in the rain as nosey customers came in and out of Sears.

“Is the car registered under your name?”

The heavy set officer asked after returning our i.ds. While i thought it was a stupid question since they had to have looked up the plates by now I softly answered no and told them it was under my dad’s name.

Hearing the shakiness in my voice, the officer assured me that since I was eighteen my parents would not be notified unless I chose to do so myself.

“ I recommend you boys tell your folks, sooner rather than later in order to have some adult guidance.” The uniformed officer advised us.

While I’m sure we all appreciated the advice I knew there was no way in hell any of us would be telling our parents. Jail seemed like a better option than having to explain why I was caught shoplifting a heated blanket.

The young officer focused his attention on William who hadnt taken anything this time but was an active participant in the first round of thefts. He explained that William was considered an accomplice and could also be tried. All these years later the helpless look on his face is still etched into my brain.

After the questioning was finished we were finally brought inside to the back of the store where the security offices were. The small room was barely lit with a folding table taking up majority of the space. The backroom had a very distinct odor, not a bad smell but it wasn't a good one either.

Once settled one by one we were each asked our goals and what we were in school for.

“ I’m studying criminal justice to become a lawyer”

Both officers had to fight to control their laughter at how ironic it was that Jude wanted to be a lawyer and he was already sitting on the wrong side of the law.

“I’m a marketing major.”

The young officer informed William that it is awfully hard to find a job with a felony on your record.  I didn't think this was worth mentioning because it goes without saying that convicted felons have a hard time entering the workforce

“I’m an art major.”

The officers told me convicted felon or not I would not find a job with that major.  I have to admit that I laughed because their statement was pretty accurate.

In a surprising turn of events the officers said we seemed like good kids and returning the stolen hoodies would earn us a case in probate court. For those of you that do not know probate court is pretty much a tactic to scare small time offenders while leaving their records clean. It was as close to a win as we were going to get.

I wish I could tell you the run in with the law was enough to set us on the straight and narrow.  That having our freedom on the line taught us not to take anything for granted because it could be taken away like that.

Each of us would fight our own demons over the next couple of years always looking for that rush to remind us that we were alive. Chasing that rush is the reason we are all gathered here today, to celebrate William’s life. I know he’s somewhere kicking it with Jude and if yall can hear me make sure you save me a blunt.



© 2018 nyeme


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

56 Views
Added on January 14, 2018
Last Updated on January 14, 2018
Tags: college, life, death, free, fun, cops

Author